No driver's license- stuck in a dead-end town!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poopyface

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first day here. I have been watching the RV YouTube videos for a couple of years already. That's pretty much the only thing that makes me happy is dreaming of rving permanently. I am 55 years old and stuck in a small dead-end town with no driver's license. I have No friends and no family whatsoever. Everyone is dead and gone. I want to get out of here so bad. My health is deteriorating just sitting around and watch the a try in this town. I am on disability, a fixed income. I'm putting every little Penny away for a used RV or travel trailer. But I don't have no driver's license because I am in the state of Illinois. 2 years ago I took my written test and visual and passed. I got my learner's permit oh, but then they told me that I needed a car to take the driving test! I told them that I don't have a car. They told me to get a family member or friend with a car so I could take the driving test. I told him that I didn't have no friends and no family after that they just talked to me like I was a martian with two heads! They made me feel really bad. I live in a duplex side by side rental house. I have lived here for 10 years and none of my neighbors ever said a word to me for nine whole years the whole time I've been here. The 10th year is when my neighbors across the street offered to help me drag a metal porch glider to my front porch because I was pulling it and Sparks were coming out of the sidewalk and it was making the most god-awful noise. They asked me from across the street would you like some help with that? I said sure. After that they never said another word to me. There is this woman who does housework for elderly woman here next door to me house cleaning Etc. I offered her $100 in cash if she would take me for the driving test in her car. I told her that the test only takes 20 minutes that's what the DMV told me. She said she couldn't because of her insurance and that she didn't have full coverage. So I had two months before my permit expired and I just had to let it expire because I didn't have anyone or find anyone. I know my situation is extremely unique. I don't know maybe someone out here can help me figure out a solution or something. I just don't know what to do! Thanks! :)

Welcome Poopyface to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Are you able to go grocery shopping and/or do you have meals-on-wheels delivered?

I would make contact with the meal-on-wheels person or go to the local senior center for lunch a couple times a week and start a conversation with the director...see if they might be able to help. Or reach out to the local church, many of those will have a way to help you out.

If nothing else, maybe you will find a person to talk with and share some time together over a meal. And maybe they will be able to help you get your driver's license.

If you have NEVER had your license you will have to start from scratch.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I do not live in the city of Chicago I live a couple of hundred miles away in a very tiny town.
The population is less than 15,000 I don't use Meals on Wheels I'm fine I'm getting around. But this past winter with the whole coronavirus and everything they shut down the senior citizen bus service. There is no way for me to get groceries or anything. So what I did, I bought me a mobility scooter with my stimulus check. The speed goes up to 25mph and I can travel up to 40 miles on one charge. The supermarket it's only a mile and a half from me so I'm okay. I have tried for 10 years to make friends here. I smile, I say good-morning but that's it they just go on their way. I'm very friendly and outgoing. It's not me, it's them. They are very unsociable people.

This might sound like a stupid suggestion, but could you just pay someone in the area (a cab service, uber, driving school, or some sort of professional) to allow you to take the test? Also concur with the people above, try a church, charity, or state social services number that deals with homeless or those in trouble, maybe there's a procedure if the hiring someone fails.

I have to say that's a terrible situation because there should be a car on the premises for people in a spot with no family or anything. Try calling another motor vehicle in another area, because I do remember they use to have cars years ago.

So sorry about your situation. I am in a similar situation, I still have family but they won't be around for a long time given their age and I never got along sadly. I'm mostly on my own and firmly on my own in due time.

Hang in there bud. Save all you can, it's really tough out there. It's not just now, but in the future things will probably be worse for people like us (not rich/wealthy). It's even more sad that the poor and working class are suffering so much and they look down on those trying to just avoid rent for some months to pay down other things or just live without 50% of income going to rent.

Hello gslanm,
I already did ask the local cab service here in town but he told me no. There is no Uber or any other car service in this very small town. I told them at the DMV that just doesn't make any sense. I also call a local driving school to try to get my license but, they do not provide the car for the driving test at the DMV.
I've been trying to stay positive, but it's kind of hard when all the answers are no no no no! Sorry can't help you.

I know life without a car is hard because I didn't have one for three and a half years when I first moved to Idaho. Hard times! But this isn't a hopeless situation. How bad do you want to leave town? Are you willing to leave everything behind and take a bus to an unknown location? Would that be too much?

Long ago when the internet first started I realized if you want to get responses you have to respond to others. In other words, to get a friend you have to be one. You have to reach out. So, are there any community groups you can join to meet other people? When I first moved to Idaho in 2013 I knew nobody... but two weeks later started going to church there and that's how I met most of my friends.

But there are other options if you don't like church... for example, a senior center or groups that meet at the library. There must be something - some way to meet people to have friends. And pastoral counseling could be something that would help. Most small town pastors have time to talk and could suggest something that would work in your area.

Most important, have a bright, happy outlook on life and smile a lot. People are more likely to want to know you if you uplift them. They are less likely to want to know you if you're depressed or complaining about anything. Good luck. I really hope you'll find a new avenue to a better, happier way of living.

I paid a "driving school" for my children. They got road training and the school took them for their test with the company car. It wasn't all that much money. Well worth it.

The Driving School here in Illinois do not provide the car for the DMV driving test.
I'm not going to give up.
I'm going to keep trying different resources and see what I can come up with.
I'm a very happy positive person.
My Little Dream is to have a class C camper and be a snowbird for 7 months. Woohoo!

You made great use of your stimulus check, in my opinion.  I agree with the suggestion that the library can be a good place to meet people who may be able to help you network your way to a solution. Do they have a bulletin board there? In my smaller than yours burg, the local IGA has a bulletin board outside their entry doors. Most cafes here have boards, too. Fire department folks can be pretty cool.  They often want to help anyone in their community anyway they can. They often know a lot about the life of a small town. Can your scooter make it to the fire station? Take a little something to share--a plate or box of treats, some fruit, or a bag of mini-chocolate bars to leave in the break room when you go. Or maybe a local mechanic in a small shop would know someone who needs money for a repair who would be willing to help. Good Luck. I am looking forward to hearing the rest of this story.

It may require traveling to a different town but since you don't have someone to loan you a car, maybe a driving school can help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm a little reluctant to bring this up but have you tried an ad in the local paper , or local watering hole (bar) , seams like you've tried or had suggested most other options

I don't know the laws in Illinois, but in most states you will need insurance on the car, if you find someone willing to let you you use their car, and they don't have full coverage, you will need to purchase insurance yourself. You can find lots of insurance companies that will let you get one month, but it is more expensive (but worth it to finally get your license).

Pastors will often have a list of agencies/groups that help seniors with all sorts of needs, so I would agree they are a great place to start!

I suspect it will be difficult to find a stranger willing to let you use their vehicle for a drivers test, nor would I think you would want to take a test in a vehicle you weren’t familiar with.

I suggest first saving some money so you can buy a good used vehicle, or maybe your Township local assistance knows of a program for donating vehicles if you are low income.

It would seem to me a good option for driving practice would be your local senior center.

Explain that you want to get a drivers license, and they may have or be able to refer you to someone who can practice driving with you and go with you in your car to get your license.

Good luck to you.

In most states, there are programs to assist senior citizens with drivers licensing. I found this about some programs available in Illinois, I'm sure if you contact them they could refer you to those who can help.
https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/services/services_for_seniors/programs.html

Don't be discouraged if you have to contact multiple offices, speak to each person by name (an old psych trick that gets people on your side), expires gratitude for ANY help, and if you get frustrated, take a break.

Turtlelady said:
You made great use of your stimulus check, in my opinion.  I agree with the suggestion that the library can be a good place to meet people who may be able to help you network your way to a solution. Do they have a bulletin board there? In my smaller than yours burg, the local IGA has a bulletin board outside their entry doors. Most cafes here have boards, too. Fire department folks can be pretty cool.  They often want to help anyone in their community anyway they can. They often know a lot about the life of a small town. Can your scooter make it to the fire station? Take a little something to share--a plate or box of treats, some fruit, or a bag of mini-chocolate bars to leave in the break room when you go. Or maybe a local mechanic in a small shop would know someone who needs money for a repair who would be willing to help. Good Luck. I am looking forward to hearing the rest of this story.
Hi Turtle lady!
Well, because of the Coronavirus, everything is pretty much shut down. The libraries, senior centers, churches, Department of Human Services. Everything is shut down!
The fire station is located just outside of town.
Kind of a distance. This town is far from being Mayberry. LOL
People stick to themselves, don't like Outsiders much.
The only way you can get in or out of this town, someone has to bring you here or drive you out. There are no airports, Greyhound bus stations Amtrak's nothing!
I always laugh and say this is where you come to grow old and die. LOL

I live in the heart of Appalachia,  a place where they say..."you can't get there from here".   But I learned a long time ago that with a drivers license and a simple Van rig....I could escape this place and go find a better life only a couple hundred miles away.   When I first got to some of these places I was  wonder struck thinking how much better off the people there were than I was.....but within a year and a decent job there I was doing as well as they were. 

Things I learned ?   If I would live in a state that didn't have an income tax (Tennessee nearest to me) I could live on the boarder of that state and shop in several other neighboring  states that had lower taxes on various things from Gasoline, to alcohol, cigarettes, commodities, groceries, etc etc.  I could load the Van with purchases from the twice a month shopping trips and save a lot of money.  Plus having a road trip outing.  I may still be in a small town......but life could be better.

riptorn said:
I'm a little reluctant to bring this up but have you tried an ad in the local paper , or local watering hole (bar) , seams like you've tried or had suggested most other options
Hi riptorn,
All the bars and restaurants are shut down here in the state of Illinois. If you do want food it's only takeout , or drive-thrus.
The local paper will be my last resort. Thanks!

JerryJ said:
I don't know the laws in Illinois, but in most states you will need insurance on the car, if you find someone willing to let you you use their car, and they don't have full coverage, you will need to purchase insurance yourself.  You can find lots of insurance companies that will let you get one month, but it is more expensive (but worth it to finally get your license).

Pastors will often have a list of agencies/groups that help seniors with all sorts of needs, so I would agree they are a great place to start!
Hi Jerry,
I have a booklet of all the town resources and agencies.
I'm going to go through them first thing in the morning. Thanks!

Allan Greenblazer said:
It may require traveling to a different town but since you don't have someone to loan you a car,  maybe a driving school can help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hi Alan,
I can't travel to another town because I don't have a car or no friends or no family.
The Driving School here does not provide a car for the road test.

Latest posts