RTR no, no's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
here is some very obvious rules to follow at RTR,

No fireworks legal or illegal.  all fireworks are illegal on all public land.

No Chinese lanterns they are also illegal on federal land.

No shooting in or around any camp or road I believe it's a 300 yard barrier in the rules but IMO that's not enough.

No dumping of grey or black water.

pack it in pack it out rules are in place.

obviously no littering this includes cigarette butts,  candy wrappers,  nut shells, etc.

please no dust if you are making dust you are driving to fast.  be kind to your neighbors slow down.

please observe quite time hours again be kind to your neighbors.

please clean up after your pets and keep your dogs on a leash.

please observe the fire pit rules BLM has put in place.  in fact I would go beyond their rules and say please don't use rocks for your fire ring.

please do not burn ANY NATIVE vegetation.  I put emphasis on this because last year several people were burning native vegetation.  also remember burning construction lumber and pallets is illegal.

most of these are common sense but if common sense was common everybody would have it.

these are not all the rules just ones that came to mind right off the top of my head.

highdesertranger

My goodness, its seems like renting the public land from the government sure comes with a lot of restrictions. Why you and Bob Wells use the donation funds to buy land cheap so you guys set your own rules. I saw land for sale sign in Anthony, Texas few days ago and I should have stop and took a picture of it.

why, which of those rules would you get rid of if you weren't on public land? I would not want to get rid of any of them. highdesertranger

The 'don't be a jerk' guideline was never aimed at any one in particular, particularly you.

It's a GENERAL RULE aimed at everybody and anybody!

One of the reasons all those rules  have to be spelled out is because too many people today seem to lack the common sense and have to have specific rules/guidelines to tell them what should be done in the first place.

BTW MrNoodly is a well-respected member of CRVL and has been around for a long(ish) time. That you haven't met him is simply a factor in your newness.

Mr. Noodly was just stating the obvious, I don't think he was being a smart ass. like I said private property would not change any of the rules I posted. highdesertranger

trust me mrnoodly was not calling you a jerk. he was just paraphrasing the rules.

if anyone came on my property and broke any of those rules HDR posted, i would consider them a jerk ( to put it mildly and with a G ratting) and kick their sorry butts off my land.

and when a new person comes in here with only a few posts and blatantly questions what bob wells has done by complaining about the "restrictions" and suggesting they buy land instead, well that kinda sets a negative tone.

bob wells has done a lot and shared a lot, he invites everyone to come join him in the desert for a grand gathering. he does it his way. he doesnt force anyone to join him. anyone that wants can go buy their own land and host a gathering of their own

you will get a much warmer welcome if you come here and appreciate what is offered rather than complain about what is not and then suggest it be done differently. when in rome as the saying goes

come on out and enjoy what is offered. if it is not being done how you want it, no one will hold it against you if you dont join in.

highdesertranger said:
why,  which of those rules would you get rid of if you weren't on public land?  I would not want to get rid of any of them.  highdesertranger

It seems like every year when Bob Wells hosts RTR, the government BLM (Bureau Land Management) keep changing the rules. The new location have one way in and one way out.

I think in my opinion it is dangerous if you have 5,000 to 10,000 people in cars, vans, RV's, Campers, and School Buses gathering ALL in one place in the middle of the desert. It could be a setup (I don't know), but I don't think ALL the restrictions will STOP if there is an earthquake or sinkhole at the location.

Did the BLM (Bureau Land Management) check the area to see it is SAFE?

My question is "WHAT IF" something happen at the RTR next month in January 2019?

What are you and Bob Wells do about it? Who will be responsible?

I hate to hear or see something on the local news.

keyhole-computer-guru said:
It seems like every year when Bob Wells hosts RTR, the government BLM (Bureau Land Management) keep changing the rules. The new location have one way in and one way out.

I think in my opinion it is dangerous if you have 5,000 to 10,000 people in cars, vans, RV's, Campers, and School Buses gathering ALL in one place in the middle of the desert. It could be a setup (I don't know), but I don't think ALL the restrictions will STOP if there is an earthquake or sinkhole at the location.

My question is "WHAT IF" something happen at the RTR next month in January 2019?

you can live you life in a shell, afraid of "WHAT IF" or some times, if you want some freedom you have to take responsibility for your self. if you dont feel safe participating. then by all means no one is expecting you to compromise your concerns. in the world of van dwelling and boonedocking you will come across different risks than living in some downtown metro apartment with a 9-5 office job.

i would much rather be stuck in the desert with 10,000 other boonedocker with a one way road for access than be stuck in traffic on the 405 at rush hour. "WHAT IF" during gridlock on the 405 someone starts shooting it up with an AK47 you can have bad things happen anywhere you go

just by chance, if there was some sort of disaster during the rtr, i am going to be safer there than if the same disaster happened at a baseball stadium while i was there.

if you get trampled trying to get out of a stadium who is responsible for you then?

in my book, I am ultimately responsible for my self. i became a van dweller, living outside the boix because i got tired of everyone trying to control what i do and not taking responsibility for them selves.

as for this actual rtr, if you dont feel comfortable gong into the cental area, then camp right along the road on the way in.

this is a differnt way of living, embrace the change, learn and grow. but if you want to go do or live something "new" but want to change it to be more like what you are used to , i dont see why you want to do it anyways

for those who have embraced this life, some of use get a little miffed when new folks come and tell us we are doing it wrong. unlike most of society, we are not telling you what to do, but are welcoming you to join us if you would like

I'm not complaining simple fact I do have common sense, but I cannot speak for anyone else. I don't like the "tone" MrNoodly puts it "Don't be a Jerk" like he is get off the high-horse,

(get off high horse)
get off (one's) high horse
To stop acting as if one is better than other people; to stop being arrogant or haughty.

communication takes two, a sender and a receiver. it does not matter how the info is sent, if it is received and perceived as negative then no body can fix that. if you receive in a positive manner that will help in many ways.

this is one of the most benign and polite forums i have ever been on. you dont need to take offense when people share their opinions and feelings.

from a ZEN perspective, what is said here doesnt really change my life. i can choose to be offended and get angry and carry that negative energy with me. or i can ignore what i dont like and move on happy with my self and enjoy a wonderful day

i choose a wonderful day

don't worry the geology of the are is not conducive to sinkholes. unless your talking "Paint your Wagon", LOL. let's get back on subject. highdesertranger

I would think everyone here would be aware of one of the first rules to be on this forum is no negative coments, if you have negative opinions keep them to yourself. You may present facts that you feel represent your views. Like xxx number of emergency call were made during the event or xxx number of accidents happened and show your sources or an article where the BLM states concerns. Bob Wells and most everyone else here have stuck to the rule "No negative waves man" and even valued members have had posts deleted and friends lost because they departed this forum because it is a hard rule for some people to follow. I hope you understand and follow this rule. Learn how to present your concerns with facts and not emotional opinons and be sensitive to everyones situation not just your own. I used to teach and always was entertained watching people learn, thanks! PS I'm just gonna have to learn to think and type faster you guys always beat me to the punch!

@keyhole-computer-guru
You are free to decline to participate in the RTR.
Or you could park somewhere else where you would feel more comfortable and commute in for the seminars.
This is Bob Wells' forum on Bob Wells' website, talking about Bob Wells' RTR.

"keyhole" does that refer to the reconnaissance sat spy program?

To Keyhole, if it were my land, and my responsability at stake, the same rules would apply, and be dealt with harshly if ignored.

We are all FREE to come and go as we choose, or to stay away completely if something offends us, or we don't agree with the posted rules that everyone else is able to live with peacefully......your choice !

keyhole-computer-guru, I think what we have here is a clash of cultures. Where I'm from, it's common to summarize rules like those HDR listed with, "In other words, don't be a jerk." (In fact, "jerk" would be the polite word choice.)

I suppose I could've written, "In other words, treat others like you would like to be treated, and don't abuse the natural resources," and so on, but "don't be a jerk" is easier to remember and to use as a self-reminder. "Would the thing I'm about to do make me a jerk? If someone else did it, would I think they were a jerk?"

Last year during RTR Bob met with the BLM to discuss an alternative site for this year. They chose a new site together. However, the gas company whose pipeline runs at the edge of that area wouldn't give permission. So the BLM suggested the current site. They opened access to the road and brought in earth moving equipment to make the wash crossing accessible.

Boy you sure are thinking the worst

Connie

I think Bob should call dibs on the Boomers site for next year as it’s really big and open and flat. If he doesn’t get dibs on it soon another group might come and take it which would split the rtr in the middle. People would have to use the old rtr site and the new one with another group right in the middle.

The only real danger at all those Quartzsite desert locations would be if you camp in the washes - don't ever do that or risk being washed away in even moderate rain. Also, there are apparently some holes dug by miners at the East end of the new site, you can see them in Russ' (RVerTV) Drone videos on Youtube... I don't recommend to walk around at night without a flashlight - watch your steps! Other than that, you'll be fine...