Retirement Notice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
Well that went way better than I thought it would!!

I handed in my notice of retirement this morning.

I'd sat on it for over 2 weeks after taking months to decide if it was really what I wanted to do and changed the date several times. I could have taken my work on the road with me but in the end I want to NOT work.

Boss sent back a 'sorry you're doing that but I understand' which since he's a total workaholic and a decade older than me surprised the hell out of me cause I don't think he really does understand!!

Now if I could find a way to deal with my mothers irrational fears of me heading out and her 'you're deserting me, I need you' stuff, all would be rosy!!

I feel relieved even though I won't be done with work for a couple of months yet!!

I'm one more step closer to 'There'.... :D :D

Getting off the rat race treadmill is so enjoyable! Been nearly a year for me now. I had my retirement letter written months in advance, but had actually intended sticking out a few more years. But they had been trying to down size and eliminate my Mainframe Team, so when they told me I was on "the short list" for firings, I fired first. Had the letter on the boss's desk that afternoon! I was out the door two weeks later. Meeting my old team (mostly retired) for lunch next week to talk over old times.
Being able to sleep in mornings is great. :)
And my van gas bill is reduced by half!

LeeRevell said:
Getting off the rat race treadmill is so enjoyable!  Been nearly a year for me now.  I had my retirement letter written months in advance, but had actually intended sticking out a few more years.  But they had been trying to down size and eliminate my Mainframe Team, so when they told me I was on "the short list" for firings, I fired first.  Had the letter on the boss's desk that afternoon!  I was out the door two weeks later.  Meeting my old team (mostly retired) for lunch next week to talk over old times.
Being able to sleep in mornings is great.   :)
And my van gas bill is reduced by half!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had to ponder, deliberate and waffle on handing in the 'I'm outta here' letter.

Part of my problem was that I already was able to sleep in mornings - my office is in the spare room next door to the bedroom so I could be at work in less than a minute and no one knew if I was even dressed... :D

When I quit travelling extensively for one of my sales jobs and started working almost exclusively from home, my auto gas bill went down even further than yours did. But then I noticed that my home heating bill was skyrocketing because the time I needed to be warm was when the prices were the highest - I'm on time of use billing... :mad: That and my toilet paper bill went up... :rolleyes:

Woo hooo!!!! Congratulations! No advice on the "mom" issue, because I tend to be a little hard-assed when it comes to emotionally manipulative people, and a little a$$-chapped when parents expect their kids to take care of them, but you'll figure it out. Sending you wishes of strength, encouragement, and wisdom. And a celebratory hug!

I hope your retirement is everything you hope it will be. After years of doing what is needed for others, it's time to do for yourself.

Congratulations! And since THE DATE is still a ways a way, you have time to finalize, then change your mind a time or two, the plans for your new adventures! Best wishes for the rest of this portion of your life and the one you are preparing for!
Ella

congrats, I'm hoping to do the same in a month or 3

Congratulations!  I retired effective April 30th.  It feels great! You're going to LOVE it!  Now if I could just find the right vehicle . . .

Regards
John

LeeRevell said:
Now after retirement, your problem is to find the time to do all the things you couldn't find the time to do before!  :)

Ha, I already have enough places I want to see to last me until I'm about 125 if I hurry!! I keep reading the blogs of people like Nina at Wheeling It and adding places I want to see...so much to see, so little time!!

My biggest problem is that I can only travel in the US for 6 months of the year and then I have to find things to do back here in Ontario for the other 6 months. Once I can move to British Columbia then I'll have a whole new set of places to explore.

You've got the entire Yukn to explore ! Enjoy yourself...

Almost There said:
Ha, I already have enough places I want to see to last me until I'm about 125 if I hurry!! I keep reading the blogs of people like Nina at Wheeling It and adding places I want to see...so much to see, so little time!!

My biggest problem is that I can only travel in the US for 6 months of the year and then I have to find things to do back here in Ontario for the other 6 months. Once I can move to British Columbia then I'll have a whole new set of places to explore.

Do you happen to know if there are similar restrictions in Canada for US Citizens who might want to travel around there for a while? I mean, 6 months a year would be plenty, but do they allow that?

Yes, as long as you show you can support yourself without working in Canada. They may check your funds and bank statement. I found the Canadian Border folks fairly decent. Just say yes or no and declare everything.

Congrats! I know the feeling. Well im not really retiring but im kinda acting like I am! lol

Congratulations, AT! :) May your retirement be everything you wish it to be.

Shalom,

Jesse.