Registration your car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuta

Reaction score
Hi, all

i have a question about car registration.

I am resident in Virginia, and the car was register in VA.  Can i bring my car to travel across the country for more than two years and stay 2 to 3 months in every State?  Do i need to register my car in every state where i am staying for 2-3 months and move to other state?
 Thank you..
Please help.

short answer is no. most states say 6 months and that you are now a resident of the new state. highdesertranger

VA has a yearly inspection sticker you would have to get renewed every year.

Every state has a different law on residency, but a lot of them are based off being in one spot for x amount of time.  Some places it's as little as 30 days, but a lot of states have exceptions for school.

phuta said:
Hi, all

i have a question about car registration.

I am resident in Virginia, and the car was register in VA.  Can i bring my car to travel across the country for more than two years and stay 2 to 3 months in every State?  Do i need to register my car in every state where i am staying for 2-3 months and move to other state?
 Thank you..
Please help.

Also, if you're going to be on the road for two years (aka full time) possibly consider licensing it in a state like south dakota that caters to full timer rv'rs.

gsfish is right --  Check with the people who actually know.  Just tell them you're traveling to different states to visit relatives.

I suspect that if you are traveling from state to state, and don't get pulled over for any traffic violations (etc) where you would be entered into any state's computer, your VA license, registration, plates, plate tabs would all remain good until either your registration/tabs or insurance expires, because there would be no reason for anyone to start counting the days/weeks/months. 

There should be no reason for anyone to start counting time unless you're pulled over and they make notes into that state's computers, and then you get caught in that same state again, showing you've been there beyond that state's time limits for registering as a new resident.  This is an assumption on my part.

But if you have to give your vehicle info to the operators of a business (even a national or state park host), the clock probably starts there, and you will need to find out what the limitations of that particular state are, and determine if the job will outlast those limitations.

There is no way for anyone to prove you've been gone unless someone is a conspiracy theorist. Credit cards, etc. I won't worry about it so long as you keep moving around.

Florida is a state that has the option of a two-year registration. In any event, I have reregistered my vehicles each year online. No need to go to DMV. They mail my new documentation and tag decals to me. Easy-peasy.
In 2019, I do have to go in to renew my Florida Drivers License. Will need to carry in a ridiculous amount of 'stuff' to prove my ID. The next time, if I am still alive, I can do it by mail or online.

I just put the vehicle in my son's name as he will be in the same state working for many more years and just borrowed the car from him to travel. Usually working in another state is what starts the clock so if asked, never give more information than asked, I'm never working I'm just visiting with a borrowed car.

A. who would know?
B. many people that live near state lines register their vehicles in a state they do not really live in
c. It doesn't matter about getting pulled over. you drove in a given state and left. now you're back. doesn't matter, you have friends you're visiting.

gsfish said:
LeeRevell, at least you're a dude! I took my 90YO mom to get an ID card in Florida and found out that in addition to her birth certificate and photo ID that we had she also needed to have a certified copy of her marriage paperwork for when her name was changed. At least she had only one change, if she had been married three times and returned to he maiden name between we would have needed paperwork for each change (5). However, I do sleep sounder knowing that my mom is likely not a terrorist.

Guy

Interesting! I had not thought of that. My sister is on her third hubby, and had changed back to her maiden name after Number One. I will ask her about any troubles she has had.

"I just put the vehicle in my son's name as he will be in the same state working for many more years and just borrowed the car from him to travel."

There may be insurance issues with that arrangement if you're ever in an accident, if both of your names aren't on the title, registration and insurance.

I have had no problems buying insurance coverage what so ever.

bullfrog said:
I have had no problems buying insurance coverage what so ever.

It's nice that they're willing to TAKE your money.  The question is:  Will they pay the claim if you're ever in an accident?  Or have you now given them an excuse to deny the claim, leaving you AND your son holding the bag?

No issues and claims have been paid, but we do make sure when we buy insurance.