Registering and voting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadlines are coming up (if not already passed) in many areas, so please, folks, make sure your registration is current, and if it needs an update, do it today.

Use it or lose it.

Midterms aren't glamorous but they matter and this one especially. A big chunk of your legacy is gonna be decided, soon, at the state and local level. With so many races so close, your vote seriously matters. Do this thing!

Agree 100%. Your political affiliation doesn't matter. Go out. Get educated. Vote. All the candidates may be complete crap but your vote directly counts on all of the laws, propositions, taxes, initiatives, etc.

..............and remember.........no matter how cunning, conniving, or clever these stringless puppets are in their games of lying to us or misleading us......at least once every 4 years they are at OUR mercy when we get to vote. Please don't neglect voting.

Just to add.......if you are disappointed in a candidate who is on the ballot.....you don't have to cast a vote for them. That's like voting against them. Part of your power as a voter.

We have signs for "Wild Burro for County Super" posted in my area... It will be getting my vote because I think the feral jackass will be a better candidate than any of the humans on the ballot. I mean, the other candidates are metaphorically wild burros already. I think the literal wild burro is a better choice. Now if we could just replace all of the rest of the politicians in this country with literal instead of the metaphorical wild animals...

Do what you need to do so that those that have given their time and even lives so that you can vote is not wasted.

Do what you need to do so that those that have given their time and even lives so that you can vote is not wasted. Thank You
I
Do what you need to do so that those that have given their time and even lives so that you can vote is not wasted. Thank You
I THOUGHT POLITICS WHERE NOT ALLOWED?!?!?

My opinion -- it's politics to say "vote for my guy" but it's not politics to say "vote."

At least, it's not the kind of politics that usually gets banned from discussion forums, because it doesn't make people fight or bully each other.

(usually!)

It's not telling you what to think, it's encouraging you to stand up for what you think -- to be yourself.

We have signs for "Wild Burro for County Super" posted in my area.

Aren't there at least a couple of towns that have had a dog as mayor?

You are absolutely correct! Neither are unhelpful or degrading comments. My thread has none of those elements. Please refrain from asking questions you already know the answer to in order to change the helpful reminder to vote into something it isn’t.

^^^So just ride the wave and hope it goes on forever? You know better jonny koon. That maybe true but those that hope for a better future try to help make things better, don’t always succeed but us stubborn ones try. Always enjoyed George cause he always had a different way of pointing out society’s problems.

Last edited:
Know better?:ROFLMAO: I’m like Socrates: Only thing I know is I know nuthin…….

Winston Churchill said; ( I paraphrase) yeah democracy sux; but it’s the best we have.

Which isn’t sayin much considerring hitler came to power thru a democratic based constitutional republic not much different from the United States’s.

But I’ve spent the last 10 years working on more important things than democratic social contract constitutional philosophical concepts whose roots & foundations are the ideas of men that are 200 to 400 years old……

Yes, Mr Churchill; it’s tyme to invent something new……..
intjonny boi has long seen & been working on the history of Humanity’s Future. Like all philosophical endeavors it most likely won’t come to fruition till long after I’m dead. The general time span of which going back to before Platonic Phillosophy seems to be in the range of 200 to 400 years after the fact……

But who knows? There may be today some young aspiring 18 year old who has just begun his or her US military academy education that in 30 or 40 years as a General or Admiral will lead the coup that cures what Mobocracy that Democracy inevitably always degenerates into……

Days of Future Past as jonny boi has seen the light.

History? That’s yesterday’s news for most! Lol!!! Again enjoy your posts.

I THOUGHT POLITICS [are] NOT ALLOWED?!?!?
Oh, we can have politics, all right.
Just no politicians.
So, anybody 'cis-identifying' as a 'politician', move to the exit in an orderly fashion.
And as you que, pay particular attention to the gauntlet of crowds with the tar-n-feathers and other 'insurrectionist' behavior.
Are you still certain you want to be a politician?

And with all the stories and statements competing for your attention as you get ready to vote, here's a good summary of how to check if a news story is for real.
How_to_Spot_Fake_News (ifla.org).jpeg
The graphic comes from the International Federation of Library Associations.
It was part of a ProPublica story on "How to Outsmart Election Disinformation," which has some other useful tips as well -- including a list of good fact-checking sites and instructions for how to check the validity of a photo and how to find deleted tweets.

Last edited:
..............and remember.........no matter how cunning, conniving, or clever these stringless puppets are in their games of lying to us or misleading us......at least once every 4 years they are at OUR mercy when we get to vote. Please don't neglect voting.

Just to add.......if you are disappointed in a candidate who is on the ballot.....you don't have to cast a vote for them. That's like voting against them. Part of your power as a voter.
Voting is one of the most powerful tools we have in this country. And the most important voting comes at the local level (in my humble opinion). These are the folks that will affect us directly, and who eventually may end up working their way up the ranks to hold important political positions nationally too. They cut their teeth locally. It seems to me that's when they are most genuine and are still in the game for the right reasons; many aren't completely jaded yet. And there are so many small positions that make big differences locally: environmental positions, school board, judges etc. And of course then there are the ballot issues and amendment to the state constitutions. Folks think that the presidential election is the only important one, I did for years, but every single one is for the health of "we the people..."

It's true about local level choices being important but you would think that many full-time nomads would be quite a bit less interested.

It would be harder to do, but if they receive mail, they can do mail in ballots. I am in a fixed condo and I do all my voting by mail in. I check in after to see if my vote was counted. So far, no issues. I help my 95 year old Mom too (she struggles now) with hers too and she has never had an issue with her either. So this is one way to vote. Obviously if you don't get mail or have an address, then it's a no go.

I used to skip voting on many local races because I move so much that I didn't feel entitled or motivated to have a say. But now, too many local choices -- for school board, secretary of state, sheriff, legislator, you name it -- are contributing to big national trends that will affect you even if you're a full-time nomad.

I think I can say this without getting political ... One of our main political parties has, according to the wonks at least, really shot itself in the foot by neglecting local races. The other has patiently labored away at those unglamorous slots, bided its time, and is now reaping the benefits.

So, whether you prefer the team that's currently ahead or behind in the local-politics race, one crucial way to support them is to vote in local races. It's gonna matter.

Even if you don't have a strong opinion about the personal character and work experience of the local water board candidate, pick the one you think most aligns with your overall values -- vote straight party ticket if that works for you.

And if you think they all svck, then pick the one you think will do the least harm. This could turn out to be a real use-it-or-lose-it election. It's not the year to be a purist.

(I am a registered independent because I'm that ticked off at my former party, so if I can do this, you can too. :)

I used to skip voting on many local races because I move so much that I didn't feel entitled or motivated to have a say. But now, too many local choices -- for school board, secretary of state, sheriff, legislator, you name it -- are contributing to big national trends that will affect you even if you're a full-time nomad.

I think I can say this without getting political ... One of our main political parties has, according to the wonks at least, really shot itself in the foot by neglecting local races. The other has patiently labored away at those unglamorous slots, bided its time, and is now reaping the benefits.

So, whether you prefer the team that's currently ahead or behind in the local-politics race, one crucial way to support them is to vote in local races. It's gonna matter.

Even if you don't have a strong opinion about the personal character and work experience of the local water board candidate, pick the one you think most aligns with your overall values -- vote straight party ticket if that works for you.

And if you think they all svck, then pick the one you think will do the least harm. This could turn out to be a real use-it-or-lose-it election. It's not the year to be a purist.

(I am a registered independent because I'm that ticked off at my former party, so if I can do this, you can too. :)
Yes, yes, yes! All. Of. This. 👏👏👏

Status
Not open for further replies.