Registering and voting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Comes under taxes and gets political because big oil needs to be prevented from having price gouging monopolies.

World problems are solved with economic solutions and if that fails military action which definitely increases the economy! Sad but true!

...military action which definitely increases the economy...
Off-topic:
I remember hearing that theory as a kid.
I remember thinking 'how does killing people and destroying factories and farms, how does fire-bombing Dresden help TheEconomy©?'
Six decades later, I still search for that answer.
Any help would be appreciated!

Since I am new and had posts deleted today I am not going to answer. Instead I will continue to learn a bit more about how this place works. :cool:

I remember thinking 'how does killing people and destroying factories and farms, how does fire-bombing Dresden help TheEconomy©?'
Any help would be appreciated!
You've never heard of the military-industrial complex? High employment rates producing the machinery of war is one way it helps the economy (sadly). Some wars may not benefit the overall economy but greatly benefit certain companies.

/\...Not sure what you got "deleted" graycurlsvanning, but sometimes the moderation seemingly comes in a bit too hard on all of us.
There are way too many things that I'm thinking right now less than 1 week away from midterm elections, but not posting, that would be considered "political" by some.
We'll just leave it at that...

Last edited:

You've never heard of the military-industrial complex? High employment rates producing the machinery of war is one way it helps the economy (sadly). Some wars may not benefit the overall economy but greatly benefit certain companies.
It's the rebuilding contracts after the conflicts that get many of the affected nations' economies going again...

^Yep. Mobilizing for war does it,too. WW2 helped end the Depression.

Again, full employment.

/\...Not sure what you got "deleted" graycurlsvanning, but sometimes the moderation seemingly comes in a bit too hard on all of us.
There are way too many things that I'm thinking right now less than 1 week away from midterm elections, but not posting, that would be considered "political" by some.
We'll just leave it at that...
I guess we went off topic...did a little "Boondocking" with the discussion :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

^^^It often happens after the original poster gets several good answers that the conversation brings up several aspects that influenced the answers they were given and questions arise. Probably a new thread should be started in the “Off Topic and Chit Chat” forum but often that attracts many posters that have an agenda and the thread gets deleted. No system is perfect! Lol!!! Welcome to the club of those of us that get deleted posts occasionally! You can directly message a poster if you wish to continue without moderation.

Six decades later, I still search for that answer. Any help would be appreciated!
Years ago, I mentioned that to a very bright friend. He said that wars don't actually increase the economy as much as they increase the national debt.

When the U.S. is getting into a war, certain things need to be produced (i.e., tanks, bombs, jets, etc), and the companies that win the bids on those do get richer. Money is eliminated for things that don't improve the War Effort.

Look up the wars we've been in, and note the dates. Then make a list of the years with obvious rise in the national debt, and put them side by side.

You will see that in the years following the war dates, the national debt always rises. ALWAYS. Politicians and the news media lie like rugs.

My two cents... Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for dinner. So, please, if your unresolved childhood trauma issues compel YOU to vote for anyone that pushes any variant of authoritarianism, or any thing that raises taxes and thus destroys our liberties, then PLEASE DO NOT VOTE!

Last edited:
Years ago, I mentioned that to a very bright friend. He said that wars don't actually increase the economy as much as they increase the national debt.

When the U.S. is getting into a war, certain things need to be produced (i.e., tanks, bombs, jets, etc), and the companies that win the bids on those do get richer. Money is eliminated for things that don't improve the War Effort.

Look up the wars we've been in, and note the dates. Then make a list of the years with obvious rise in the national debt, and put them side by side.

You will see that in the years following the war dates, the national debt always rises. ALWAYS. Politicians and the news media lie like rugs.
You are 100% correct. Wars destroy millions of innocent lives and families, squander precious natural resources and require massive "printing" of money that makes the currency worth less (inflation) which enslaves future generations with debt. I would argue that the only just war in US history was the Revolutionary War.

WAR IS A RACKET: https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/191777-war-is-a-racket

Last edited:
^Yep. Mobilizing for war does it,too. WW2 helped end the Depression.

Again, full employment.
It was like a temporary sugar high. The Depression was prolonged due to years of government intervention / spending.

...enslaves future generations with debt...
Way Off-Topic:
That part always frosts my patootie:
* somebody else spent it decades ago -- and enjoy the benefits -- but I inherit their debt?
Phooey on that nonsense!
* Can you imagine my da charging a set of tires for his Packard in 1942, but I inherit the paying for them.
* Can you imagine somebody unrelated to me, somebody I never met nor would ever meet, charging a set of tires for their Oldsmobile in 1953, but that debt is assigned for me to pay.
Vote early, vote often.
However, do *not* vote from the roof-tops.
We are, after all, a civilized society, and simply don't appreciate that sort of behavior.

Last edited:
.....Some wars may not benefit the overall economy but greatly benefit certain companies.
You are 100% correct. Wars destroy millions of innocent lives and families, squander precious natural resources and require massive "printing" of money that makes the currency worth less (inflation) which enslaves future generations with debt.....
Don't forget;
- the war on poverty,
- the war on crime,
- the war on drugs,
- the war on homelessness.
Government bureaucracies and advocacy groups doing well, victims not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.