Records of favorite spots

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sold me Matt. --- also as a tip to find more interesting areas. Look at the GEOCACHING web site. Tends to be a not so secret guide to the inside interesting spots. Ones that insiders know, but not newcomers.

I used to use google maps (and still have access to "my places" and "starred" places) 

But I recently started using Evernote.   (link)
https://www.evernote.com/Login.action?targetUrl=/Home.action

I'll tell ya up front, evernote isnt as handy as maps. SPECIFICALLY because of the auto GPS functionality / MAPPING of smart phones.  
BUT: What if you want to recall: the Ranger's name, or Mile marker #, level of Shade, that there is a GREAT creek nearby, nearby toilets, bar, free AC power??  What then?  

As it is a online database I can super easily enter a WHOLE LOT more information including:
- pictures, - handwritten notes, - audio, - reminders, - variety of attachments & of course - text information.

one of the cool things about it is each note will be automatically titled after the town or area you are in.  
For example: 
- Create new note
- (automatically titled) "Note @ Medford OR"   (which can be renamed anytime)
- Enter info
- Save into notebook titled "Camp Spots" or " Free overnight" or something like that
- I can add #hastags for anything I want  Like southern oregon, & internet cafe & off the grid, & Mtn lakes, Fishing,  etc. 

Google maps is better, as you will have a visual, which will help in route planning, but it REALLY lacks info.  
So, if you want more (perhaps a lot-lot-lot more) information saved, perhaps a database is the way to go.  ? 

You know, I think I am going to try & link google maps to Evernote - so that I can switch back & forth between GPS coordinates and full description stored in the Evernote. 

p.s. Evernote is Free, and will run online on your computer & smartphone, regardless of manufacture (meaning apple, android, microsoft) 
p.p.s. Evernote is VERY popular.  And that means that there are MANY youtube videos on how to use it.  Just saying.....    :cool:

I'm fond of Garmin's Basecamp. There's the ability to add notes for each way point, over time I've collected a data base of others camping spots.

I use Evernote for when I'm researching for a writing project. Hadn't thought of using it for this, but it would be very handy for organizing information about areas you are traveling to.

Community Walk gives you space to add notes to your map pics. I'm not sure if there is a character limit, but I've added a couple paragraphs to some of my pins.

Just thought I would share a screen capture of my Community Walk map
I'd post a link to the actual map, but it contains personal information of family and friends and I'd rather not make that public. I tried making a copy without that info, but I have too many things on the map and the site can't handle copying everything.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 12.28.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 12.28.36 PM.png
    1.2 MB