Basic question about car-camping in state/national parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been seeing an increase in RVs and trailers parked at designated dispersed sites with no one around. They seem to be used to secure the site for locals or weekenders.
This is not illegal, verified in a conversation with a BLM Ranger (Pahrump Field Office) a year ago. Yes, it is rude, but not prohibited. He was not at all concerned with my overstaying 14 nights in one spot. His concern was having an abandoned Class C dumped there. It costs big bucks to tow an RV from an off highway location.

My permanent residence is just a mile away. It's being dispersed while retaining the conveniences of home. Convenient for field testing the RV with no hookups, before driving miles away from home to find an issue.

I strictly observe the 14 night limit every where else.

My personal experience while boon docking on BLM land near Quartzsite is that percentage wise there are more solo female campers than either couples or solo males. Most of the women are in the 55+ age group. It varies by location as to percentage though, such as women often seem to feel more comfortable camping closer to towns where they can shop, do laundry, visit parks, see attractions, etc.

The are of course very active women who love to adventure hike in the wilderness areas as well as camp solo.

I've seen a lot of variation in what the rules are VS how they are applied.
One campground in Alabama or Georgia (I forgot) had a number of long term residents. Belying the 14 day limit.
I've also seen people park a boat trailer or similar in a site and be gone a whole week, then come by just on the weekend.
Some places even have a rule that your site isn't reserved unless occupied by a tent, RV or other vehicle which moves under its own power.
I've also seen zero enforcement of no alcohol campgrounds or no Ebikes/Escooters rules.
It really boils down to what the ranger or campground host give a damn about.

Regarding a dog for protection.

You don't need a large dog or an attack dog. Your dog is a Warning Device, not a furry weapon. Many years ago, a police officer once told me that the two things that thieves and other troublemakers hate most are dogs and lights. He said they want to sneak, and dogs and lights both disturb their sneaking.

I've camped over a lot of this country, from Cali to Maine, to Washington to New Mexico (not the South -- the air is too thick). Always with a dog, one 15 lbs, or one 50 lbs. Only had two times someone sneaked around my rig, and the dogs started barking, and I heard footsteps running away.

A 6 lb Pomeranian or Chihuahua works just fine.