Basic question about car-camping in state/national parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
Just for full disclosure, I have not slept in my car yet even once. Definitely in the wannabe category. I got interested in this because my beloved ancient Camry died during the first Covid year and I thought “next car, I want to be able to live in it if I have to.” Ended up with a Honda CRV. Then I read Bob Wells’s book and joined this forum and hey this stuff looks pretty cool. Now I’m glacially slowly getting around to at least setting up for car camping. So if my questions seem ultra naïve, that’s why.

If a campsite is unreserved / first-come-first-served, and you get a spot, does that mean that you have to leave your car there or someone else might come and park there? Or is it more like once you get the spot, it is registered to you and you can go off and come back?

Would this be the sort of situation where you might buy a cheap tent just to have something to mark your space?

Or is this just different from one park to the next? If so, what kind of questions should I be asking the park?

Also … how worried should I be as a woman traveling alone who is not exactly fighting fit? Some of you fit that description and you do this all the time … right?

I was thinking about giving Padre Island National Seashore (not South Padre) or Mustang Island a try, maybe in a month or two. But I’m just barely starting to explore ideas.

Thanks for any tips!

If a campsite is unreserved / first-come-first-served, and you get a spot, does that mean that you have to leave your car there or someone else might come and park there? Or is it more like once you get the spot, it is registered to you and you can go off and come back?

Would this be the sort of situation where you might buy a cheap tent just to have something to mark your space?

Also … how worried should I be as a woman traveling alone who is not exactly fighting fit? Some of you fit that description and you do this all the time … right?
There's a ticket thing you fill out when you pay and it includes a receipt that you attach to a post with "#4" (or whatever) on it. That lets someone else know it's taken. You could put a tent or camp chair or a cooler at the site also.

I've camped for several decades and have seen (and met) many,many women camping alone. Try to pick campgrounds that aren't too remote, tend to be used regularly and have a camp host. Do you have a big dog?

Last edited:
You are usually required to “occupy” your site the date you take it/pay for it.

There is almost always a post where you place a tag indicating dates paid for, and always in a State Park.

Many of us leave a chair at our site, as well as the tag, if we are gone for some hours.

Padre Island NS does not have campsites, and there is no fee, you just pull out there and pick a spot that suits you.

I have been traveling alone with a dog nearly 8 years, and have never been accosted nor feared for my safety.

Pay attention to your surroundings but be pleasant to all you encounter and you should be fine. Most people mean you no harm.

Every park I have ever stayed in requires a registration. You select the spot you want to stay in and you register that spot. The registration usually comes in a multi-part form that you tear apart. One part goes on the dash of your car, the second is attached to a post that marks the spot you are staying in, and the envelope is dropped in a payment container. Always double check the information and dates on the post before you place your paperwork on the post and before you deposit the payment in the container. If you leave the area, someone might think it's vacant and take your spot by removing your paperwork from the post and doing the registration paperwork just like you did. Then it comes down to proving who was there first. You have to run down the person who runs the park, hopefully the office is still open. When I fill out the form, I always post the time on the payment envelope I placed in the payment container. There might be a serial number on the payment paperwork and yours would be earlier than theirs, but the time helps just in case. If it's after hours and no one is there to figure it out, it becomes a hassle, because both of you dropped the payment in the container and one of you needs to be refunded.

I have used a "wet floor" tripod before and I paint over the wet floor with "occupied" and left that in the spot. I have also chatted with the people staying next to you, letting them know I would be back. Then if someone shows up, the neighbors might tell them its already occupied.

Some campgrounds may want you to set up a tent to stay if you don't have an RV. Having a cheap tent is good insurance for that. I usually carry my Rightline SUV tent along and set it up if I'm staying for any length of time. It's nice to have for the extra room to hang out. I usually sleep on my cot in the vehicle though, more comfy. You might consider an SUV tent too. Fits right on your hatchback and it seals up if you take the vehicle somewhere.

https://betterexploring.com/best-suv-tent-reviews/
Cheers!

Literally marking their territory in Inyo NF with a potty bucket and two chairs weighed down with hefty branches.

I was riding past and stopped to capture the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-02-14_15-54-39.png
    Screenshot_2022-02-14_15-54-39.png
    549.3 KB · Views: 23
Only very rarely do I find the need to leave a campsite once I arrive. If I plan on being there a week, I but a weeks worth of groceries.
If 2 weeks, I get 2 weeks of groceries.
But then I have no aversion to walking for miles.
I've seen some folks drive their car from the campsite just to use the facilities!
Can't really comment on woman traveling alone because I'm a 6 foot 200lb guy with a beard. Not a lot of people are going to see me as a potential victim.
That I think is key, not being a potential person to prey upon. Big part of that is how you carry yourself.
But also at campgrounds it's not strange for someone to have a knife hanging off their belt, or a can of bear repellent.
Also, most campgrounds at state and national parks are full of retirees. Not a small number of which are retired military.
It's probably among the safest places you could be in America.

Since you mentioned Mustang Island State Park and Padre Island National Seashore, I'll share a little about those places.

You should have no issues at Mustang if you come and go. The campground itself is gated (closes at 10:00 p.m.) Your registration slip should be placed inside your windshield on the driver's side. There are plenty (LOL) of hosts there. Cell reception is good; hot water is often out.

At PI, there are two developed campgrounds: Bird Island Basin and Malaquite. Both of these are past the entrance fee station, where you will pay a per vehicle park access fee for either one or multiple days (unless you have a pass). The Bird Island turn-off comes first (on the right); Malaquite is a little further (to the left). Registration/camping fee kiosks are self-serve. The envelope with your fee is deposited in the "iron ranger" The stub goes in a plexi-glass display case. (You can "shop" the case for open spots.) I usually take a pic of the envelope or stub.

In my experience, the host keeps pretty good tabs on site status. At the host site, there are hefty wooden "Occupied" signs that can be placed on your picnic table. All of these campgrounds are essentially parking lots. You can pitch a tent on the beach side at Malaquite (beware of stickers), but not on the other row. Wind can be an issue. I attached a camp chair to the picnic table with a bicycle chain when leaving once to prevent confusion, but that was probably overkill.

Cell service at the Seashore is very limited. The park as well as other parts of the island are often under a "boil water" advisory, so it is important to have plenty of drinking water with you. Park water is usually fine for (cold water) showers. Ice is generally available at the Visitors Center, a half-mile walk up the beach from Malaquite.

I have met a number of females traveling alone is the area. On my last stay, I visited with one Prius dweller and one in an Element. People have been friendly, and the area is patrolled at least occasionally by rangers. The host has a radio. I've never been uncomfortable here, but I always pay attention to what's going on around me.

You can camp directly on the beach in several places on the Island, but frankly, I would not be comfortable doing so alone. (A middle-aged boondocking couple was murdered and buried on the beach close by a few years ago. Maybe that spooked me.) You should also know that there is potential for gang activity at some Corpus area beaches.

For the most part, at state parks and National Forest campgrounds, all you need to do is read the sign at the kiosk, do what it says, and enjoy.

You can camp directly on the beach in several places on the Island, but frankly, I would not be comfortable doing so alone. (A middle-aged boondocking couple was murdered and buried on the beach close by a few years ago. Maybe that spooked me.)
I just want to say that I have camped at PINS three times, the last time by myself in widowed life.

The beach has always been well used, with friendly others, patrolled by the Rangers, and I have never felt unsafe.

The couple murdered a few years back were off in a more remote area by themselves, and is something which could happen anywhere you are isolated from those who can see and hear anything untoward.

Just sayin’, don’t let fear guide you, but be aware and careful.

If you’ve paid for the spot it’s yours for the nights you’ve paid for it. As for free sites, you’ll need to set up something before you leave if you want keep it.

I’ve been seeing an increase in RVs and trailers parked at designated dispersed sites with no one around. They seem to be used to secure the site for locals or weekenders.

Do your best to maintain your vehicle’s appearance. A set of hub caps can make all the difference. If you maintain a clean clutter free camp no one will ever think the worst of you.

You are usually required to “occupy” your site the date you take it/pay for it.

There is almost always a post where you place a tag indicating dates paid for, and always in a State Park.

Many of us leave a chair at our site, as well as the tag, if we are gone for some hours.

Padre Island NS does not have campsites, and there is no fee, you just pull out there and pick a spot that suits you.

I have been traveling alone with a dog nearly 8 years, and have never been accosted nor feared for my safety.

Pay attention to your surroundings but be pleasant to all you encounter and you should be fine. Most people mean you no harm.
Great answers, words of wisdom.
Most humans in Boondocking areas are good people looking for the same as most of Us......Peace & Quiet away from "controversial" people. You will be fine.

A quick word of thanks to everyone who answered this and my other newbie questions. It finally got warm enough to take the SUV for a shakedown cruise, and it was much more comfortable thanks to these threads and others I've listened in on. For example I think I might have been intimidated seeing that just about everyone else in my campsite had a giant RV, if not for the general "just do it and have fun" attitude here. And in fact the few people I actually met were very pleasant.

It was a fun and educational trip and I plan to do it again just as soon as I save up enough for a much better mattress (ouch). My "I can sleep on anything" days appear to be behind me. At 4 a.m. I gave up, crawled into the front seat, took down the windshield shade so I could see when it got light enough to go back to the beach, and immediately conked out and slept like a log for three hours.

Thanks for walking me through the first steps!

It is always good to begin, in my experience.

You now have a small bit of experience, a frame of reference for your next step.

I saw lots of vehicle campers this past winter, and many women by themselves.

You will find most public campgrounds full of friendly others to visit with and to ask questions of.

We were all new once, and most love to share what they know.

Further sallying to come soon, I hope!

Not every community is this welcoming to newbies and wannabes, or this enthusiastic about sharing knowledge. It is something to be proud of, IMO.

I visited and camped on the beach on N.Padre island last month it was very nice . Camping free on the beach first 5 miles can be driven by 2 wheel drive. The first couple miles are fairly well occupied , felt very safe, bathrooms at the beach entrance, and at the visitor center bathroom, water, and cold showers.

Attachments

• 20220327_193824.jpg
    20220327_193824.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 4
Just for full disclosure, I have not slept in my car yet even once. Definitely in the wannabe category. I got interested in this because my beloved ancient Camry died during the first Covid year and I thought “next car, I want to be able to live in it if I have to.” Ended up with a Honda CRV. Then I read Bob Wells’s book and joined this forum and hey this stuff looks pretty cool. Now I’m glacially slowly getting around to at least setting up for car camping. So if my questions seem ultra naïve, that’s why.

Or is this just different from one park to the next? If so, what kind of questions should I be asking the park?

I was thinking about giving Padre Island National Seashore (not South Padre) or Mustang Island a try, maybe in a month or two. But I’m just barely starting to explore ideas.

Thanks for any tips!
If you are talking about fee blm land camp spots it's possible you could tow a small trailer and leave it locked up on site or put out chairs if you think no one would steal them.

I spent all of Jan. And feb. On the Bolivar Peninsula. Off rettilon road. About 1 mile East of the ferry. Solo woman traveler. My first trip. I met a another lady by herself and we became buddies. I loved it. I have a 2015 dodge caravan. It was very windy and it was cold a few times. But still better than Nebraska winter. I will do it again. Now I'm heading to Colorado and down to Albuquerque for the powwow end of April. I'm excited to go and have already scoped out free campsites. Ill be gone til may 5th. One thing I will change is I took way too many clothes.

If you’ve paid for the spot it’s yours for the nights you’ve paid for it. As for free sites, you’ll need to set up something before you leave if you want keep it.

I’ve been seeing an increase in RVs and trailers parked at designated dispersed sites with no one around. They seem to be used to secure the site for locals or weekenders.

Do your best to maintain your vehicle’s appearance. A set of hub caps can make all the difference. If you maintain a clean clutter free camp no one will ever think the worst of you.
I traded the alloy wheels that were on my van for steel rims that could be beat into use if damaged. I run them black. Hub caps suck. If someone thinks less of me because I have repairable black rims then so be it. They probably aren't the type of person whose company I would enjoy. At least I'm not trying to look "better" with cheap trinkets.

Most campgrounds are doing online reservation these days.
The ones that I have been to where they do in person reservations there is usually some kind of honor system thing where you put the money in an envelope. Though I have seen a few where you talk to a ranger or campsite host.
Since in both cases there is only one reservation person or dropbox, it isn't really an issue that someone else could grab the site.

Latest posts