rechargeable headlamps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time I charge a mosty healthy but depleted Panasonic ncr18650b on my i4 charger, i will measure how many AH it consumes at 12.8vDC

I have the NiteCore HC60. charges from 12v or 120v, comes with both power cords. it's a great head lamp. highdesertranger

They are most known for their cheap and good audio/computer cables. I have a couple of cables and one of their power banks. So far so good. The camping equipment is new and looks interesting.

GypsyDogs said:
I really <3 mine
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RCO99SQ/ref=twister_B013CS5HEK

and it is balanced really well  -light in front, battery in back.. I used it, recently, to clean inside a machine.. aka pointing my head all directions. .. and it stayed in place without squishing my brain..  Hate things TIGHT on my head/skull.  
And standard mini-usb recharge.

It gets good reviews and the price is certainly nice, but are there any concerns about mounting a Lithium Ion battery to the back of your head?  

(where's the out-of-touch/out-of-date, nerd smilie when you need it?)  :p

Thread revival.

My Nitecore HC50, purchased in December of 2013 is now in the still functional, but unreliable category.

For no reason I can discern, it will decide to drop to no more than ~ 20 lumens.

It will, after some unpredictable amount of time, return to full function and brightness abilities, but not usually when I need it, like when it decided to screw with me in the first place. This undesriable behavior is not heat or battery or contact related, though I am not discounting malevolent spirits.

While I have gotten a lot of use from it, and was entirely impressed with it, especially back through 2014 and 2015 and even most of 2016, when it first revealed itself to be unreliable, I think I might be done with Nitecore and their newer better offerings largely due to reports of poor customer service to those with problems whilst still in warranty.

I would be so happy if shopping for something newer was not required, but the newer offerings abilities, in terms of output, and efficiency, well who would not want an 18650 based battery headlamp capable of more light( for brief bursts) than most pre 2010 vehicles could output from both headlights in low beam?

I am looking into Olight and Armyteks ~2300 Lumen offerings in the ~100$ range.

Of my 4 purchased panasonic NCR 18650B 3400mah batteries, all nearly the same age as my headlamp, all still have very respectable capacity remaining althoug I do not really have a good way to measure it other than they 'seem' to last as long as when new. I can however see how much Mah they require to recharge, if I care to, but never have.

But I wish My Nitecore HC50 was still reliable, 585 lumens is kind of ridiculously bright for most tasks I've ever required from a headlamp, but with the newest headlamps having 2300 lumens available............ If I were flush with cash I might have had to get one even if the HC50's 585 max lumens were still reliable on demand.

Anyone else have any reports on their headlamp's longevity, or lack there of?

thanks for the report. now I am worried about my Nitecore HC60 although it works fine now it's not even a year old. time will tell. highdesertranger

Mobilesport said:
I've been putting of buying a rechargeable headlamp for the 
longest time convincing myself that I don't need one that bad only to find 
myself working on something and struggling to hold my current non headlamp
flashlight  in my mouth feeling stupid AGAIN.
I realized it's mainly because I couldn't find a rechargeable one in
the stores and I don't want to  buy battery's for the thing. 
Then again looking online the rechargeable units are around
$50  , I could buy alot of batteries considering the ones that use triple aaa
batteries are only $15
Decisions Decisions.

It's the batteries that are rechargable.  I'd consider making a one time purchase of a battery recharging unit and then only purchasing rechargable batteries.

as a very active fulltime vandweller, I need to minimize and multitask every chance I get. I dont have the room or the budget for extra disposable batteries and multiple flashlights/headlamps. not to mention the deplorable lifecycle of disposable batteries, even when you can find a true recycling option.

I used cheap AAA led headlamps for years but was always looking for the holy grail. I tried rechargeable batteries with it. when I could find AAA rechargeables it was still a hassle, seperate chargers and multiple sets of batteries. just changing out the batteries with carpal tunnel is a pain.

I finally found a rechargeable led headlamp that gives me what I needed and some extras that make it more than I had hoped for.

9gy4vo.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-...nce-Rechargeable-Headlamp-300-Lumens/49840414

this has both a nice spot beam with hi/low
a sweet flood beam with hi/low
red leds for night vision
it recharges from most any usb port including the one on my car stero. and the cord is attached, no looking for my charging cord.

another nice benefit is you can run both the spot and flood at the same time

under $30 at walmart, might be able to find elsewhere as well

HDR, if mine is any judge of longevity, you got 2 more years to go before it gets flakey, but I'd recommend having some sort of backup handy for when the brightness settings seem to go up and down on their own without heat or the battery being the obvious cause.

Unfortunately my backup was one of the harbor fright specials that takes 3 AAA batteries, and unless wrapped with electrical tape, if ever dropped those batteries would be ejected and bounce off into another parallel dimension, and the amount of light was pitiful compared to the Nitecore anyway. Those AAA rechargeable batteries Would likely be dead when required anyway. I only use some AA eneloops now, and pretty much only in my wireless mouse. 18650 or 12v for everything else.

My Nitecore's headband was so worn out that I was having to use paper clamps on the band just to get it to stay on my head, if that gives indications as to how much I used it.

With 2.5x reading glasses and 585 lumens perched on one's forehead, it is rather amazing at the details one can never otherwise notice, nor even realize one remained unaware of.

But ignorance is usually bliss for the highly detail oriented.

Seems some of the newest LED headlamp offerings employ a magnetic charging cap, as if inserting a microUSB plug is some sort of deal breaker.

This light^ is currently at the top of my wishlist but 'click order', I have not. yet.

correct, non replaceable.

unless you hack it. which I intend to do if the light out lives the battery pack. but withy luck I will lose it, loan it, or run it over by then... lol

SternWake said:
Thread revival.  

My Nitecore HC50, purchased in December of 2013 is now in the still functional, but unreliable category.

<-------->
While I have gotten a lot of use from it, and was entirely impressed with it, especially back through 2014 and 2015 and even most of 2016, when it first revealed itself to be unreliable, I think I might be done with Nitecore and their newer better offerings largely due to reports of poor customer service to those with problems whilst still in warranty.

<-------->

Anyone else have any reports on their headlamp's longevity, or lack there of?
Sounds like we can expect 3 reliable years from a Nitecore HC50 then? Please bump this thread again when you have tested your new Olight.

I've gone through several headlamps over the years and my favorite, hands down, is the Thrunite TH10, which uses a single rechargeable 18650 battery.  It has three powers and the high beam is amazing.  It has solid construction and I use it all the time;  it's been great.

I was not aware of ThruNite headlamps. Thanks.

I am kind of keen on having Cree's latest and greatest LED chip even though 2300 lumens is pretty insane.

The HC50 when they first came out were not well liked, as the LED would glow very faintly when turned off. Would take 6 months to drain the battery, but there were a few times when super dark, i was like WTF is that glow?

I think this was remedied witht the later models of the HC50 where the max lumens were increased.

No idea if subsequent models have it. or whether mine was a flakey unit or 3 years and hundred of hours of usage is all that can be expected. the light did take several pretty hard drops onto concrete in my ownership so its failure could have been induced by me rather than a lack of build quality.

I'll guess mine is acting whacky because whatever temperature sensor is incorporated in it to dial back the output when getting too hot, has gone flakey. Wish I could slide out the guts and have a look see, not that I could really do much other than look for something perhaps not right.

I am still hesitant to order something new. I;ve got a list of things I have put off ordering due to tight finances, which are a bit less tight at the moment, but I am still clenching.