Good rechargable headlamp

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry48

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good new rechargable headlamp at a reasonable price , I bought a couple of Energizer head lamps that required AAA batteries and go through batteries fast , I wouldn't recommend the Energizer headlamp.
Anybody know of a rechargable headlamp that they could recommend ??????
Thanks in advance.

I use AAA batts in several different devices including a headlamp. Reasonable cost for a charger and the batteries are good for 100's of recharges.

Google Panasonic BQ-CC17. It will also charge AA batts. Good package deal on Amazon.

PS: They now have a newer model that has a USB port for charging phones,etc.

I have a Nite Core. I have had it for 5 years. It uses a 18650 lithium battery. It charges off an USB, the one I got came with both 120v and 12v chargers and a spare battery.

So for 5 years it's been a great light and it is brighter than all get go on high. In fact I can't believe how bright it is, and on low the battery will last forever.

Highdesertranger

Headlamps that use 18650's are the bees knees. No more wasting alkaline batteries. 18650 are very popular, charge fast, and last forever in a headlamp! You can them in many different temperatures and beam angles. And the power and quality of light will out perform those other little AA or AAA headlamps.

Prices for the headlamps aren't bad now. But remember that you'll need to buy the batteries and charger as well. Do research on batteries and buy good ones. It's going to be a one time purchase, don't sweat it, they last a long time. The cheap Chinese knockoffs blow up and lie about battery capacity. You can feel the weight of them, as the cheap ones feel like there is air in them, haha. I run a Zebra headlamp starting a few years ago and haven't looked back. I'm running Panasonic batteries and never had an issue. Saved lots of money from buying batteries.

Nitecore, Olight, and Fenix all make great lights. They also make handy lanterns and such that use 18650's as well. And if you do that vaping stuff, those things use 18650's as well. As HDR mentioned, they can charge off USB which is super handy. I'd rather get a charger that ran off USB so you had options to charge from auto 12v plug, lithium battery packs, 120v plug, or even a small portable solar panel.

highdesertranger said:
I have a Nite Core.  I have had it for 5 years.  It uses a 18650 lithium battery.  It charges off an USB,  the one I got came with both 120v and 12v chargers and a spare battery.

So for 5 years it's been a great light and it is brighter than all get go on high.  In fact I can't believe how bright it is,  and on low the battery will last forever.

Highdesertranger
I went looking on the Nitecore website as well as the others mentioned in this thread , I liked the Nitecore hc60 the best , they had a video demonstration and man it was super bright lol.
I would mainly be using it while doing repairs or maintenance on my van , honestly i'm worrying about it being too bright for auto repair ,  hopefully it tames down on the lowest setting.
Thanks to all who answered.

Yea, they all have power settings. You can go as dim or as bright as you wish with the touch of a button. Nobody really uses them on the high settings. Maybe real quick to see something far away.

That is the one I have the HC-60. It has 5 settings the lowest is like a dim night light. I usually use it at about the third setting. Like PofG said the brightest is only used for short periods of time. I also have a Lantern that uses 18650's batteries. Highdesertranger

Using rechargeable Nimh batteries is the simplest solution, but I’m definitely checking out the Nitecore.

Maybe it’s my fat head, but I always blow out the headbands, including on my Black Diamond.

You can also get lithium rechargeable AA & AAA batteries. They usually charge via usb.
A good review here:

They cost a few dollars up front but last a long time per charge and charge quickly. Maybe get 2 sets and a small Anker powerbank to charge your cellphone and the batteries if you aren't driving regularly or don't have a house battery & 12v outlets.

I used to use Nimh AA's for my headlamp and stuff. I still use them for my gps and camera and things. But after seeing people with the 18650 light stuff, I just couldn't look away! Literally, they are so bright. With the lithium AA and AAA, be careful. Really do look at the reviews. They are finicky. A lithium cell is 3.7v and AA/AAA is 1.5v. In order to make all that work, the AA/AAA need a built in transformer, so sometimes they don't have the capacity that you were expecting out of a AA/AAA battery. But they have all the other benefits of lithium, as long as the transformer doesn't go. Some companies do this better than others. 18650's are 3.7v and meant to be used at that voltage, very efficient. From my research, I don't think the rechargeable lithium AA/AAA are there yet, and Nimh are still the thing to use in that scenario. Best part about Nimh or lithium AA/AAA is if you already have the headlamps, you can keep them and just get batteries and a charger!

Surefire makes a bombproof rechargeable headlamp with dimmer knob. It has a sweet floody beam and good color tint. But quite spendy...

For lights and batteries check batteryjunction.com. They are my go to source for batteries in bulk. Also check County Comm, they have some nice AAA and AA pocket lights from Maratac which are great. Lastly, massdrop has some good lights.