RearView/Backup /Dash Cam - Nice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has worked Great so far -
Amazing picture -

12 volt car power

Can also be powered by USB wall wart /phone charger ect
Im using a good 120volt phone usb charger off Inverter

Installing cam -

the Mirror View is not as Wide as the view camera SEE s -
camera see Taller than screen can show -

Using Touch screen -  Swipe  up/down  on the screen -
this will move View on screen up/down - Nice

do this before installing rear cam
helps in deciding where to install rear cam -

mounted mine high over rear door -
pointed to rear / blind spot area - works Good -
have not tried other locations

I did Not remove plastic cover on mirror/screen 
maybe helps anti glare - looks good

I keep in Rear view mode

Not Need to hook up Red wire on camera end -
tape off end of wire -

when Parked -
Power supplied by house battery Or van battery
Cams and recorder work Exactly the same as when driving-
Easy setup to record 24 x7 if wanted - Nice

Screen picture can be turned off And still be recording -

this video explains basics of Dash Cam operation -
Video is Very Good -Dash Cam 101

Groovy2 and BandAidQueen, so the mirror/screen is always on when driving?

Also Groovy2, how did you mount your camera?
I've been looking for a slick way to mount a rear cam above my doors on my E150 without drilling new holes. So far I haven't come up with anything I like.

several options for screen view -
screen showing Rear or Front view - swipe screen to change view
recording ON - screen OFF shinny mirror -
Shinny mirror everything off

I have wood roof deck on top of my an so I screwed into it to mount rear cam-

Cam has metal L bracket - cam is Tiny - Light weight
strong Magnets will work Great -

if I did not have wood to screw into I would for sure use magnets
or glue and still might mount again using magnets

I haven't mounted mine yet - it just came, and I'm not sure how I will do it. I don't even have a rearview mirror to attach the screen to (as my van doesn't have rear windows), so I'll have to go to a Pull-A-Part or Wal-Mart and buy that first. I do have some strong magnets like Groovy suggested, might try those, or some strong adhesive, not sure. Hopefully I can install it sometime over the weekend.

No need to attach cam screen to windshield -

You can mount screen Anywhere and on Top of dash
is a Really Good spot -

I made a mount for the screen that fits on top of the Dash-
mounting on dash is likely the best place anyway -

I made a L shaped bracket out of wood that mirror hooks to -

a T shaped mount will work too
mounting loops go around top of T -

mostly U want to mount so front cam can See road -

since screen is illuminated its is easy to see from most angles

also Front cam slides OUT a small amount and can be
angled to get good view of road

today mounted Rear View Screen on dash-
Looks Pretty good so far -
Think Im going to like it there -
Can keep eyes on road And See rear view screen - Nice

For some reason I was getting some glare on screen -
I have some thin NON Glare plastic sheet
that I cut and mounted to screen -
tiny bit of glue onto plastic to hold in place
Fixed glare problem -

also attached cell phone gripper to same mount
so I can easily See it - Nice

Painted mount Southwestern Turquoise and Purple -
matches rest of van

I'm bumping this thread to see if I can get any more cam recommendations without starting a new thread. Ideally I want dash cam, interior cam, and backup cam that mounts at the top of a high roof van.

I purchased one from Amazon, Chinese made tested it and looks to be as described. My questions, 1 what is the red wire for at the camera socket connection? 2 do you drill a hole and attach the camera to the back door or use the bracket which appears to be very flimsy car wash destruction potential.

A red wire on a 12v dc device normally denotes that it be connected to battery positive.

Mine has a metal mount but my van is way too tall for a normal drive through car wash. I use the spray wand car washes with a soft bristle brush.

Thankyou for your reply . The red wire is at the camera end is very thin and only 3 feet long. The poer is from the cigarette lighter type socket.

Does the red wire have exposed copper? Is this a wireless unit or a wired unit. If wireless, it may be the antenna. I know chinglish instructions are hard to decipher.

I have a picture but don't know how to post. The camera works off the cigarette lighter socket. The red wire is at the end of the power supply to the camera. There are no instructions on how to set up chinglish or otherwise.

I have never seen or heard of one setup where the backup camera is powered by the front power port. What do the other reviewers have to say? Could always post a question where you bought it. Backup cameras are normally powered by the backup lights.

Rear view camera in leu of a rear view mirror. Doubles as back up camera. This was spoken of at the beginning of the thread.

"Rear view camera in leu of a rear view mirror"

is that even legal?

highdesertranger

B and C said:
I have never seen or heard of one setup where the backup camera is powered by the front power port.  What do the other reviewers have to say?  Could always post a question where you bought it.  Backup cameras are normally powered by the backup lights.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"I have never seen or heard of one setup ....".[/font]

Yeah, me. This is D-I-Y. I run the rear-view camera in my van "full-time" while driving. Decided I needed one whenever driving in SoCal, due to drivers passing you on both left and right sides at 100 MPH. It's a regular ebay backup-camera, that came with a 20' cable that brings video to the analog LCD monitor in the front, and sends power to the back. It's powered from the cigarette lighter socket whenever I am driving.

I actually have the camera mounted just inside the top of the window of the right-rear door. I put a bit of black tape on the window above it to cut down on sun glare.