RearView/Backup /Dash Cam - Nice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
"Rear view camera in leu of a rear view mirror"

is that even legal?
Ummm, lots of vans have "no" rear view windows, so all ya get to see are the rear doors. (leu, ya did it again, HDR, lol, better fix it before anyone else notices).

Mine is kinda DIY too. I have mine connected to my tail lights so I can have it on anytime I want. I generally have it on all the time while driving. It is connected to my rearview mirror that has a small monitor built into it. I just have to look at the normal place. Nice to be able to tell when you have gotten past something too. I don't have to judge the distance out the side mirrors.

Take a meter to the red wire, maybe it is to power something else or could be a trigger wire. No real clue.

well in California , if you can't use(it's blocked) or don't have a rear view mirror you must have mirrors on both sides. I also heard it is illegal to have a video screen visible to the driver while driving forward. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
well in California ... I also heard it is illegal to have a video screen visible to the driver while driving forward.  highdesertranger
Good point, HDR. If i ever get pulled over in CA, I'll be sure to flip the switch that changes from TV to rear view. And then hit the off switch. OTOH, the only reason I might get pulled over is because I'm impeding traffic by going only 85 MPH.

I have this camera and I love it. I bought it because of this thread. My van doesn't have windows in the back, and therefore did not come with a rearview mirror, I had to go to the junkyard and get an old rearview mirror to attach the screen to. It's a lifesaver to be able to see what's behind you, especially a small item like a mailbox - impossible to see with side view windows only (I crushed my sister's neighbor's mailbox the first month I had the van). And I like having something to see where the rearview mirror is.

highdesertranger said:
well in California , if you can't use(it's blocked) or don't have a rear view mirror you must have mirrors on both sides.  I also heard it is illegal to have a video screen visible to the driver while driving forward.  highdesertranger

It is not a video screen it is a live view of what is going on behind you and is better than a rear view mirror because you have a wide angle view  which assists you when passing other vehicles, unless you are too slow you can panic when you can see others catching up at speed.

linecaster .... better than a rear view mirror because you have a wide angle view  which assists you when passing other vehicles,

In my experience on the freeways in California both north and south, a nontrivial percentage of drivers are in such a hurry they will fly over 3 lanes to find a hole, in order to pass people on the right. And they do this in 3-4 seconds. Considering it takes me a lot longer than that to check all the mirrors in the van, I find the wide-angle rear-view camera to be a lifesaver from the crazies. So any possible laws about "screens" run a far distant second. "He obeyed the law, but now he's dead".

There are many vehicles that have a "video" screen from the factory in the dash. It is called the radio, navigation, backup camera and whatever else they put on it.

B and C said:
There are many vehicles that have a "video" screen from the factory in the dash.  It is called the radio, navigation, backup camera and whatever else they put on it.
Normally those screens aren't playing video, or are they now? For all I know, Google or Facebook may be hacking sponsored ads into new car screens nowadays. $, $, ka ching.

How did you fit the camera?
The attached frame is too flimsy the first car wash will destroy it. I thought of drilling a small hole as an opening for the lens and mounting g it on the inside of the back door.

Qxxx said:
Normally those screens aren't playing video, or are they now? For all I know, Google or Facebook may be hacking sponsored ads into new car screens nowadays. $, $, ka ching.
The screens that can play video normally have a parking brake lockout as in you can't watch video unless the parking brake is on, easily defeated.

Linecaster said:
How did you fit the camera?
The attached frame is too flimsy the first  car wash will destroy it. I thought of drilling a small hole as an opening for the lens and mounting g it on the inside of the back door.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My van won't fit in a drive through car wash.  If I were you I would get one that fits on the license plate, no worries that way.[/font]

Gr8ful said:
I bought my wireless back up cam for $29/shipped on ebay. Works great. Sits or velcro's to the dash, has a solar panel built in & will charge your phone if you wish. Uses NO van power & no wiring.
Do you mean wireless as in has to have internet connection, or old fashioned sense of the word as in wire less? What is the make? Link? Please