Dash Cam

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlethoraOfGuns

Reaction score
Hey ya'll. Driving out on these roads is scary. Not really me that makes me nervous, but other drivers. I'd like to install a dash cam in my step van. Kinda overwhelmed by all the options out there, and came here to see if anyone has any recommendations. I'm looking for front and rear camera capabilities. I prefer wired units, but wireless is ok if it actually works. Was thinking about having a setup with a screen in the cab so I can also use the rear camera as a backup camera, but then I saw some go to your phone, and that would be a nice option if I'm inside sleeping or something and need to see the exterior of the vehicle for some reason maybe I can pull up cameras on my phone? But that's not necessary, as my main reason for front and rear camera is to record in case of accident. I don't have a rearview mirror, and installation will be easy no matter what it is. Anyone have experience with these and can point me in the right direction?

Sounds like you want a combination dash-cam, backup cam, and security/webcam, all in one.

There have been some products on the market that address a couple of those objectives in one unit....I'm not sure they are still supported. But I think you should buy separate products that can do each job well.

I've had the cheapo no-name dash cams and also a good one, a Garmin. By far, the Garmin has been more reliable and much easier to operate. And you can buy a smartphone based-backup cam linked by bluetooth, that might serve your needs. 

Security cam....well, you could install a small home system or just have a second and third dashcam aimed out other windows, and just let them all record 24/7.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, lots of research. Nobody seems to have an all in one unit, and now it's looking very complicated. Using the cameras as a security camera was only a thought if it be an easy option, which I don't think it is. I just want to keep it simple, but still have front and rear cameras recording on one system. The van has no windows, so rear camera will have to be ok outdoors. Will look into the Garmin stuff.

I cant add anything to selection, other than the cheap Black Box one I got several years ago has been adequate for my needs so far (I expected nothing more than adequate), but Id like to get a system with rear camera also. My power point (cig lighter) in the 4runner was on when ignition on only, I wanted full time capability so googled how to make it hot all the time, and it was very simple. I like to leave mine on when leaving the vehicle in parking lots and at motels overnight.

I highly recommend anyone driving to get a dash cam, it can potentially save you huge amounts of money, grief and liability. Im looking for one for the motorcycle now, front and rear facing and weatherproof. Hmm, one made for a motorcycle may work on the rear of the van if a weatherproof one isnt otherwise available.

Yes, everyone should have a dash cam. I just want one that records front and back. I've lost count how many times I've been rear ended. It last happened when I stopped at a yeild sign back around New Years.

Also, I don't think I can mount that Walmart camera on rear exterior of my rig!

I have been running a blackvue 650 for many years now, really great video camera and has lots of capabilities like seeing video right off you phone.

IMO there are only a few "best" dash cams and if i was to replace my Blackvue it would likely be a VIOFO A129 Duo dash cam.  Seems to be very popular on one of my forums that focuses on daily driving protection.

I went with this camera.
https://apemans.com/products/apeman-4k-touch-screen-dash-cam-c770

It has front and rear camera. It records both at same time. Can view on your phone via Bluetooth and can take SD card out to plug into your computer. Already caught lots of stuff on it, including other accidents that don't involve me.

51511493088_8c9ecc45da_c.jpg

Blue pickup was shooting down turn lane and suv came out of parking lot and into path of pickup with looking left. What happened? Who's fault is it? Here you go officer, watch the dash cam. Best insurance you can have for yourself in case you get into an accident.

51510465902_0a874b7c46_c.jpg

Back isn't as good as the front, but that's probably because of all the dirt on lens. I'm constantly wiping the lens every once and awhile.