dash cams & cameras for security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveO

Reaction score
I am doing a buildout of a Nissan NV200 and would like to add cameras - I am trying to figure out if I could merge dash cams with security cams.  Ideally, I would like to have front, cabin and rear driving cams in case I get into an accident or get pulled over.  But I would also like to have security cams near the roof on the sides and back to see outside while I am parked.  What opinions do folks have on this?  Should I try to merge both into one system or should I keep them separate?

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Just an opinion........

They serve different purposes so if it was me, I'd get one system for dash cams monitoring my driving and one for security.

Welcome to the forum, this is probably the wrong place for your post, this is more for introductions.. I have seen this topic on here a couple of times. can't remember which section though..

I don't believe there is an easy answer to your question.. The only possibility I can come up with would be wifi cameras that you can mount and then connect to a phone or tablet..

I know wally world sells some some mountable wifi cameras for like $20. I have considered getting one of these to see what the capabilities are..

But honestly your are probably better to go to a automotive sound and audio specialty place. I don't think I would choose bestbuy for something like that.

The issue with wifi RV cams is the upload speed of your internet provider. Each cam requires at least 2mbps upload to send the video stream to the cloud.

The alternative is to run a cctv system, no need to stream anything. It is more expensive to get set up, but then you have no monthly bill for wifi. Yes you will have a few short cables to run from the base to the cams. You may even be able to get a used system for cheap.

I have the super cheap visible for all my wifi needs, but when it came to uploading video to cloud from one lonely security cam the visible service was unable to consistently provide the upload speed (2mbps). The longest the camera operated continuously was 45 minutes.

I also checked out nomad internet at about $150 per month for their service the rep hedged about speeds, saying it depended on the tower etc.
-crofter

There are tow needs that these fill, visibility while moving and security when not. Driver aid cams generally are not running when a rig is stopped, so if your need is to see what is goign on while moving there you go... I will be going with a system more designed for security with a recorder, that can be my driver aides as well as my security cams when camped.

Having a dash and rear cam is the minimum, really advisable to have great visibility when backing over that hidden tree stump. Will easily pay for itself in body work savings. Yes I got my first dent the first year when backing up without a cam.
-crofter

People will do really crazy things that cause serious accidents and then try their best to blame you.  Dash cams have saved so many people from false claims.  I run one front and rear.

Watch this cop try to give a false ticket and get busted by the dash cam.....

[video=youtube]

I run an old iPhone 6 out back for a rear facing cam, i monitor it up front with another obsolete iPhone that also runs a dash cam app. The app I use to connect to the rear one has the ability to connect to more than one source, I didn’t use that for the dash cam only because I wanted the time stamp and speed readout to be part of my dash cam footage and it was the only app I could find that would support iOS 9 (originally was using just a 4s and 5c). With more modern or possibly droid phones\tablets you could find a more robust app to use.

JJsimonds said:
There are tow needs that these fill...
*two...?

I could not figure out the towing use, though I usually stop to check the chains & ratchet straps by hand & not just in the mirror. 
-crofter

@sneaks
Are the phones mounted to the window with velcro or is there a phone stand that does this? (Assuming inside the van as iphone and raindrops don't mix).
-crofter

sneaks said:
I run an old iPhone 6 out back for a rear facing cam, i monitor it up front with another obsolete iPhone that also runs a dash cam app. The app I use to connect to the rear one has the ability to connect to more than one source, I didn’t use that for the dash cam only because I wanted the time stamp and speed readout to be part of my dash cam footage and it was the only app I could find that would support iOS 9 (originally was using just a 4s and 5c). With more modern or possibly droid phones\tablets you could find a more robust app to use.

Sounds like a good setup. Thanks for the idea!

crofter said:
@sneaks
Are the phones mounted to the window with velcro or is there a phone stand that does this? (Assuming inside the van as iphone and raindrops don't mix).
-crofter

Telescoping stand mounted in the back, think I paid about $10 for it. I have a window mount that I can use for my iPad, though I'm pretty sure that would invite a security issue instead of help monitor one :).

A95FC520-E36D-414C-9338-2EBF4AACDCBE.jpeg

DBE504CF-98C8-47A0-8AF5-76833A2589C7.jpeg

7628BAE9-6D44-4C42-B5C8-BF0E8D58EF65.jpeg

2043080.jpg

Attachments

• A95FC520-E36D-414C-9338-2EBF4AACDCBE.jpeg
    A95FC520-E36D-414C-9338-2EBF4AACDCBE.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DBE504CF-98C8-47A0-8AF5-76833A2589C7.jpeg
    DBE504CF-98C8-47A0-8AF5-76833A2589C7.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 7628BAE9-6D44-4C42-B5C8-BF0E8D58EF65.jpeg
    7628BAE9-6D44-4C42-B5C8-BF0E8D58EF65.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2043080.jpg
    2043080.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 11
Advanced RV had a really cool system they put on one of their builds (vans). It been awhile but they had cameras mounted that you could see all around you while you were driving too. It’s really something ya gotta see as an explanation just doesn’t get it in this case. You can google them and look around.