Rant about tools.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queen said:
Stop smoking or roll your own (if you can buy bulk without being carded)...

I can't stop chuckling over this one. That's funny, hopefully you're appreciated for that sense of humor!

Just an Fyi any place that requires you to show ID not just for tobacco or alcohol the clerks are often on camera and can be fired for not checking your ID.Me ,I take it as a complement even though I'm obviously well over legal age.

Yeah, when asked about it I either hear "Its the law" or "Its for the camera". That's understandable at some level, but what happened to common sense? Its not just kids either, its people my age as well. Hopefully the "camera" isn't to harsh with whatever punishment it deems acceptable. Doing things because of the camera...even when those things make no sense at all.

The land of the free and home of the brave!

Pet peeves...lol. I'll be OK...

Too much stuff filling up my pretty little head. I try hard to give stuff like this zero space as well. Instead I smile at the clerk, look them in the eye and wish them a great day. I feel better and I hope they fill better. Rumors to the contrary, they are just humans like us trying to get through another crappy day at a crappy job. Why not make it a little better if I can?

I'm the one that wins in the long run.

Cry said:
Yeah, when asked about it I either hear "Its the law" or "Its for the camera". That's understandable at some level, but what happened to common sense? Its not just kids either, its people my age as well. Hopefully the "camera" isn't to harsh with whatever punishment it deems acceptable. Doing things because of the camera...even when those things make no sense at all.

The land of the free and home of the brave!

Pet peeves...lol. I'll be OK...

This is still not about the individual, the camera, or even the law. It's about corporate policies. Say Corporation X has thousands of stores across the country, and they don't want to be responsible for a charge of selling to minors, so they make it a policy to card every customer regardless of age. That way, there is no question for the monkey running the register, and if any employee ever makes a mistake the corporation can point to a policy and wash their hands of the liability. They'd rather make an arbitrary rule in the name of idiot-proofing than allow common sense to exist. The employee is told to card everyone, so he does.

I know you're being a bit flippant in posting this so this isn't a lecture directed entirely at you. Instead, it's partially a rant for the state of the world in which we live, where people now expect to blunder through life with all of the corners padded and if ever someone bumps his head it's the fault of someone else for not padding that corner. And any company big enough to have a perception of that has to comply with public expectation and pad all of their corners.

The ID thing doesn't generally annoy me, as I know it's not coming from the person at the register. The only time it really did irritate me is when I applied for my Enhanced Driver's License from the DMV - and, at the time I applied, they sent the paperwork to process my request and send my EDL in the mail, and at the same time confiscated my current ID! For the interim several days, they printed me a "temporary ID" on plain 8.5"x11" computer paper..... yes, that was in fact my only state-issued ID. When I tried to buy beer at a chain store, I was carded, presented my temporary ID, and explained to the monkey behind the register why it was on computer paper. He called a manager. The manager declined my ID. Even though I'm visibly over 21. At that point I was annoyed because, they weren't just going through the motions of following policy rather than common sense, they were actively disregarding common sense in the name of a policy that didn't apply; I had a legal state issued ID and they chose not to accept it. "If the state came in, we'd lose our license" the manager said. "No," I returned. "You would lose it only if you sold to me and I was underage, which you can see I'm not." Of course, common sense did not prevail, as monkeys are trained to follow corporate policy.

What did I do next? Drove a half mile down the street to a mom n' pop store and bought a 12 pack without being carded. If you're irritated by this in your daily life I again suggest doing your business with a store that still fosters common sense.

still fosters common sense

These 4 words.

Lather Rinse Repeat.

Not much to be done when one runs into a brick wall of policy though.

Cannot blame the person keeping their underpaid underappreciated job, by doing what they are told under threat.

So, 2 options remain.

Pretty simple really. Means to an end. Oh Well. Gimme beer or gimme sobriety.
Easy decision,

Said the green eyed White guy born in this country.

No cheeto dust required, for me.

But hey, No R, No S, No P.
For good reason.

But Pm's.......

Gotta love internet forums these days, a guy can't get off a decent rant over a peeve without a couple of people jumping in to scold or dis the subject material.

I just lean forward and show them my white/gray hair, and ask, "Good enough?"

I never was carded until after I was 21.  

In CA. at that time, an 18 year old could sell beer, but not buy it.  I worked at the local pizza parlor where everyone gathered on Saturday nights after the Sprint Car Races.  I served everyone that worked in every local store, restaurant, and bar.  Because they remembered me serving them beer, they never carded me.  :angel:  In the 80's, things got a little tighter. But I was over 21 by then.   :D

It is simple. Don't make someone's life more difficult. Someone doing their job should not be harassed by you. Show your ID. See? That didn't hurt, did it? And someones father or mother did not lose their job.

GotSmart said:
I never was carded until after I was 21.  

I worked at the local pizza parlor where everyone gathered on Saturday nights after the Sprint Car Races. 

Ascot Raceway? Been there in the mid seventies.