Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
I'm reading a book called "The Case Against Marriage," but this quote seems appropriate for nomads:

"To support the highest level of personal growth, you have to have the ability to entirely change your lifestyle on relatively short notice. You can’t expect real personal growth and still keep your nice house in the suburbs with two cars, three cats, a garden and all the attached anchorage. It may be a velvet prison, but it is still a prison. Within a prison, you can still be learning: You can learn how to better deal with your imprisonment. That’s not the same, however, as really being able to explore the world."

But in the end what qualifies 'personal growth'?
Reminds me of the 60s 'find myself' craze. Where did they loose themselves? How did that work out?
Always been curious about that.
I'm a "no matter where you go, there you are" person.
But as i said, curious here, (raised by cats) what is 'personal growth?' Why exactly does it have to preclude other people? What's the prize at the end?

That may be great for some who are not happy with the house, cats, and such but for some, that is what they are looking for. I guess it is up to the individual to determine.

For me it is a quiet corner of the world for me to belong and a good van to get me to where ever I want to see next and back, and the freedom to change my mind. About anything.