Hi there (not yet van dwelling but moving toward it)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandecat

Reaction score
Hi All, 
Although I've thought of traveling across country now that I have some time, I'm new to the idea of being a van dweller. It's only been 2 months since I saw a movie called the Meaning of Van Life which started me on researching van dwelling. And of course that's how I found Bob Wells and CRVL. It's all very intriguing to me! I still live in a house but have wanted to move for a while but didn't know where to. When I saw the vanlife movie it really became clear that vanlife is a realistic option and something I want to do, could do. Disengaging from my house and volunteer endeavors though will take time, not sure how much. I seem to be moving somewhat fast. There is a van I found at a small dealership and might buy it after getting it inspected by a mechanic and have started getting rid of my things and preparing my house for sale. All in two months. 

I love the idea of joining a caravan soon after setting out on the road for companionship and guidance and will probably go to the RTR in Jan. 2022 if it's happening in person and I'm on the road by then. Bob is a God's Send!!! What a blessing he is for people who are forced into their vehicles and for those of us who choose the van dwelling lifestyle. I'm so grateful that he is who he is. I call him a van life educator. I'm a librarian (retired from public library) so I really do appreciate spreading the good word about anything that improves people's lives and that is free, which he does whole heartedly and so passionately.

I've learned so much in the past 2 months and really and truly hope to use what I've learned out on the road living in a van.  I have 3 kitties too so they will likely come with me. If you have any resources on living in your van with cats please feel free to send it along. I will appreciate it. I've found some vids on YT which were very helpful.

Blessings to you and I hope to meet you on the road sometime!

All the best,
Donya

don't fall for "paralysis of analysis". You'll never know enough. But you sound savvy. You'll figure it out as you go along. If you join rvillage (free) and identify your general location and hit the right setting you'll be notified if another member comes to your area. Go meet them (CDC compliant). If you remember the story of the Spanish conquistador (think it was Cortez) when landing in the New World he burned all his ships so there was no going back. Adopt that attitude and you'll adapt as needed. Just do it!

Hmm, well "burning her ship" may be a bit radical but as long as she agrees to watch the last 50 videos that Bob W has made, in their entirety, then I'd feel safe she won't crash and burn. (Wait a minute, what about #51?, ok, she needs to binge watch down to #100 most recent...)

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard. Dan D cat. I hope you find what you’re looking for. I burnt my bridges and there are days I wish I hadn’t generally due to my health problems. But there are more days I’m glad I’m out here than not. Keep looking up.

There will be plenty of groups you can hang with and learn the ropes and it won’t be hard to find them. There are many in Quartzsite this time of year and YARC Camp is always in the same place (so far). We have very few people in camp this year due to Covid but perhaps it will pick up a bit next year.

What is YARC, please?

Hi dandecat, I am also new, dipping my toes in the water so to speak. Living in a tiny apartment and getting ready to rip the back seats out of my older Grand Caravan next week and seeing what I can do with her.

Thank you all for the encouragement! Much appreciated. Looks like I'm going to the RTR 2022! Very exciting. I hope to meet you all there. Blessings and much love.

At the RTR? Not yet. I want to find a caravan to join though. And you?
Today I signed up for volunteering as well.
I bought a van and someone is helping me build it out. I’ll be ready by the time it’s time to go.

Hi All,
Although I've thought of traveling across country now that I have some time, I'm new to the idea of being a van dweller. It's only been 2 months since I saw a movie called the Meaning of Van Life which started me on researching van dwelling. And of course that's how I found Bob Wells and CRVL. It's all very intriguing to me! I still live in a house but have wanted to move for a while but didn't know where to. When I saw the vanlife movie it really became clear that vanlife is a realistic option and something I want to do, could do. Disengaging from my house and volunteer endeavors though will take time, not sure how much. I seem to be moving somewhat fast. There is a van I found at a small dealership and might buy it after getting it inspected by a mechanic and have started getting rid of my things and preparing my house for sale. All in two months.

I love the idea of joining a caravan soon after setting out on the road for companionship and guidance and will probably go to the RTR in Jan. 2022 if it's happening in person and I'm on the road by then. Bob is a God's Send!!! What a blessing he is for people who are forced into their vehicles and for those of us who choose the van dwelling lifestyle. I'm so grateful that he is who he is. I call him a van life educator. I'm a librarian (retired from public library) so I really do appreciate spreading the good word about anything that improves people's lives and that is free, which he does whole heartedly and so passionately.

I've learned so much in the past 2 months and really and truly hope to use what I've learned out on the road living in a van. I have 3 kitties too so they will likely come with me. If you have any resources on living in your van with cats please feel free to send it along. I will appreciate it. I've found some vids on YT which were very helpful.

Blessings to you and I hope to meet you on the road sometime!

All the best,
Donya
Damn beautiful, hope you have a great time. If you ever make it to Honeys I might have a kennel cage you might want for the cats. Holla back girl

Latest posts