pulling 6x12 cargo trailer with Jeep 4.0l?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
For a variety of reasons I choose to not get into here, I may be selling my F150 truck .  I don't want to , but personal/family issues abound (? right word???) in this situation. 

I have a fully paid for 1998 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L engine that has less than 50k miles.  I'm thinking about trying to pull my 6x12 cargo trailer with it.  
I can dang sure maneuver my trailer better with my Jeep.

Is there anyone who's done this who can give me good reasons that will suck so much I will want to shoot myself? 
I appreciate all input , but would like to get some that's more than just "seat of the pants" reasoning.  Sorry if that seems unrealistic.   :)

Anyone, thanks in advance,

Pat

We pulled a double horse trailer with the same vehicle but '99 for a dozen years, including some decent hills.

She knew it was there all right but no problem.

Road chemicals amputated front axle couple years ago, but drivetrain just fine at 160,000+ miles

i am a fan of the jeep forums where they teach you how to make repairs. jeeps are known for running hot. their suggestion: make sure the cooling system is in great shape. this includes blowing out the heater core and new hoses if not recent. get a transmission cooler. put in gauges instead of relying on idiot lights.

i pulled a fairly large popup with mine. going uphill it would shift and roar and that's near sea level. probably because I didn't know how to drive it or take care of it, in the age before being aware of jeep forums.

I pulled a set of jet skies with one, an automatic and it downshifted several times trying to do 55 MPH in the hills of Kentucky. I would highly recommend renting a similar U-Haul for a day on the road, maybe help move a friend and see how it pulls.

One thing I forgot to mention... I have a manual transmission, a 5 speed.  

I have pulled a UHaul with it... good suggestion.  
In fact, I will try to pull my trailer with my Jeep tomorrow. I've got plenty of hills around here.

Thanks , 

Pat

BigSallysMom: About a year ago, I installed a new thermostat. Believe me when I say the heating system has been drained! That is a really good suggestion , though.

Thanks,

Pat

ps... in fact, it turned out that the friend who installed the rebuilt engine, had FORGOT to put on a thermostat!!!!! So, the heat from the heating system was never hot. I ran like that for about 3 years! Talk about feeling like a dumby!

How heavy is your trailer?

I have a '96 Cherokee with the same 4.0 and 5 speed. It is not a great tow vehicle but it will work. I towed a trailer with a ski boat loaded with camping gear and had no problems on flat ground but really struggled in the hills. I couldn't get above second gear on several of them. My engine and clutch held up fine but it was not a reassuring experience. If you have a light trailer, you'd probably be fine.

Side note: I also highly recommend a front hitch receiver. It gives you a ton of flexibility when moving trailers. Relatively affordable ($101 on Amazon for "CURT 31084 Front Mount Hitch") and easy to install. Also makes for a good attachment point if you ever end up wanting to use your Jeep as a toad.

I REALLY like the idea of the front hitch receiver.   Thank you!

I think I'm going to have to figure out a way to stick with my F150.   I drove it to Co Springs from where I am out in BFE.  About 70 miles one way, all interstate , a few slight hills.   It was the first time I pulled it with my new 4 golf battery (similar to Trojan T105'S)  setup.  It pulled fine, but acceleration was not what I am used to .  Actually , just plain very poor.  Trying to make that run , or others like it, with my Jeep seems to be severe underkill.   My first Jeep Cherokee, an '86 with the old 2.8 V6,  used to have to hug the right lane and stay in 3rd or even 2nd on really steep hills.  The 98 I have now has way more power with the 4.0l , but I still remember that from more than 20 years ago!  

Thanks,

Pat

Hey Pat, first for your question. My son has our old 98 Cherokee. I love it, and it will pull my 6x12, but 2nd gear up any hill. Back in the 70s when everyone was going slow up the hills it would have been fine - shoot, we used to load a ton of hay on our 72 Courier and 3/4 ton on a trailer behind it. But now days I feel almost unsafe going that slow with everyone wizzing around me.
Secondly, I thought you were long gone - are you still in Colorado? If so we need to get together for a cup of joe or something?

masterplumber said:
Hey Pat, first for your question. My son has our old 98 Cherokee. I love it, and it will pull my 6x12, but 2nd gear up any hill. Back in the 70s when everyone was going slow up the hills it would have been fine - shoot, we used to load a ton of hay on our 72 Courier and 3/4 ton on a trailer behind it. But now days I feel almost unsafe going that slow with everyone wizzing around me.
Secondly, I thought you were long gone - are you still in Colorado? If so we need to get together for a cup of joe or something?

Yeah, I'm still stuck in Beulah... so, yeah, that will be good to meet up again.  I'll probably be around for another 2 weeks... (God, I hope that's all!)

:cool:

Pat

I pull a converted 6x10 with a 4.0 automatic Ranger. Camper weighs around 2500 lbs. It pulls hills fine and is ok from 0-60mph. From 60 mph to 70 mph it is a struggle. Over 70 mph is ok. If there is a lot of shifting between 60 mph and 70 mph, as it does on rolling hills, the gas mileage goes to pot. I'm now a fan of newly renovated US highways from before the interstate system. They are usually a lot flatter.

Pulling a 12 by 6 ft. cargo trailer, plus Converted, reduces the gas mileage how much ?
&
to pull such a trailer, what kind of vehicle is required ? - can a Honda minivan, or a Toyota Tacoma do it without wearing down the engine ?

Weight is much more a factor than size.

Easy to google the tow ratings of different vehicles.

Best is for the TV to be able to haul double the built-out trailer weight, leaves some room for extras like filling tanks, food baggage etc.

John61CT said:
Weight is much more a factor than size.
Easy to google the tow ratings of different vehicles.

Best is for the TV to be able to haul double the built-out trailer weight, leaves some room for extras like filling tanks, food baggage etc.
What does that last sentence mean ?

TV = tow vehicle

If your built-out trailer dry weight is 5000 lbs, best if your TV is rated for double that towing capacity.

We tend to weigh our rigs down a heck of a lot more than we expect, plus margin of safety for worst-case conditions.

Putting a 3000lb trailer behind a minivan rated for 3500 is a recipe for eventual disaster IMO.

John61CT said:
Putting a 3000lb trailer behind a minivan rated for 3500 is a recipe for eventual disaster IMO.

A 6x12 single-axle cargo only weighs about 1200 lbs. so you'd really need to cram it with junk to approach 3k.

A tandem would weigh a little more but still be OK probably for a Tacoma. I don't know about any front-wheel drive minivan being durable enough to do a lot of towing.

I have the same Jeep and a 6x12 cargo trailer. She didn't like it. Pulled the same cargo trailer all around the state's with a happy Dodge Dakota 6cylinder.

Thanks for your kind explanations.
You people are multiple :blush: Light-years ahead of me, on any of this stuff. -
I know what to leave well enough alone. Back to playing with Leggo's, lol.

slow2day said:
A 6x12 single-axle cargo only weighs about 1200 lbs. so you'd really need to cram it with junk to approach 3k.

A tandem would weigh a little more but still be OK probably for a Tacoma. I don't know about any front-wheel drive minivan being durable enough to do a lot of towing.

Doesn't take as much as you think, My 6x12 actually was listed at 980 lbs empty - light wall framing and original wall covering was only 1/8'' luan. After conversion and loaded with clothes, food, water, etc... along with my KLR 650 motorcycle it's right at 3200 lbs. I tow it with a 1 ton dually diesel so no big deal - the axle is actually a 3500 lb unit and I probably have 500 lbs tongue weight. But I wouldn't want to tow it with my son's Jeep Cherokee.