Cargo trailer brand recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammalu

Reaction score
I need to buy a cargo trailer to haul my ATV and maybe a tiny car.

I know many are very low quality and I want something I’m not cussing at every day.

Does anyone know of which brands are better than others? I know Forest River sucks but that’s about it.

HDR? Didn’t you just research them?

Thanks.

PS. V nose or flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend aluminum cargo trailer are the best of the best. Many different configurations and capacities. Very high end. Google their website.

Thanks speed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten years ago I went cargo trailer shopping with a friend, I was his structural inspector adviser. There were quite a few brands on the lot. The one I thought was the best was the "Cargo Sport" by Pace American. It has proven itself to be excellent as he has hauled it filled up with heavy equipment and his Honda Transalp dual ports motorcycle. He has made numerous long cross country trips between Seattle and Colorado without any repairs needed. It is a commercial grade, heavy duty trailer which is what he needed for the heavy load carrying on those rough blue highways he prefers to travel on.

But I could not tell you which brands I rejected. I just know that was the best made one on the dealers lot. Most of them were wimpy compared to that model. Of course the price was higher than the wimpy ones. The framing components of the box and the way the sheeting was attached to the frame was considerably more substantial. It is always parked outside and has never leaked in the 10 years he has owned it. Considering it has spent the most time in Seattle I would say that is an excellent leak test!

Cammalu said:
I know Forest River sucks but that’s about it.

This makes me sad because the cargo trailer I just arranged to buy is a Cargo Mate which is made by Forest River. I hope it will last me a while even though it isn't the best brand of trailer. Looking at their website they have nine different brands of cargo trailers. I wonder why you say they suck... ?? Just would like to know what I might need to watch for.

I've had 2 cargo trailers over the years - both built by Wells Cargo.

The first got rolled and destroyed in a serious accident in SC, the second is still in first class condition after 15 years. it's been all over the eastern seaboard and across Canada.

Over the years I've had the opportunity?? to tow other brands of trailers and in comparison, the Wells Cargo trailers win hands down for towing ability.

Personally, I won't ever own or tow anything else.

They're a little bit more expensive (or were, haven't checked pricing lately) but for towing ability and construction, IMO they can't be beat!

I would think the aero dynamics would depend on how big the rear of the tow vehicle is and far away from the tow vehicle the trailer is when towing. Another consideration is will a v nose trailer's space be usable for your application or just wasted space that makes for a longer and heavier trailer? What will you be pulling this with? Don't forget states have overall maximum length limits.

Forest River is a slap together company. Ask gypsydogs about her experience with them. There is a thread somewhere she can point you to.

I think it was Gypsydogs

I can confirm that also as I own one of their camping trailers. It looks great on the outside but many of the interior storage compartments have splintered wooden studs and supports where screws were misplaced and several additional screws in terrible positions splintered the stud. Instead of replacing the stud and using the proper screw in the proper place they just screwed on a panel so it wouldn't be seen. There are several that are that way.

Hopefully mine will work for a while. I didn't pay a lot for it so I'm willing to wait and see if it will fall apart. Right now it looks very solid, but it is a cargo trailer and not a camping trailer, so overall, less complex in design.

cabinets can be repaired, reinforced or replaced or even removed alltogether.

The critical factors are the quality of the framing, the quality of the skin and the quality of attachment of skin to frame. Of course the under structure, hitch and axle matter. As do the hinges on the doors.

I agree with the above post and at the price I got mine easily repaired but it sure did make me wonder about the quality of the rest of the build.