Newbee here. I hope to get connected with others of like mind and get advise.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljorza

Reaction score
First step is converting a cargo into a camper. I have a 4 cylinder Subaru so weight is a concern and of course $$$ is also. Safety is paramount of course. I am researching 5 x 8 v-nose cargos to convert and the info is overwhelming. I have watched a bazillion u-tube videos on conversions and gotten quotes from companies. I live in Seattle and the quality trailers seem to be all out of state. Rain here is an issue so it needs to be well insulated, leak proof and have good ventilation. Does anyone have advise on what kind of fan or vent to use if I don't want a roof vent but do want a side vent that can double as a kitchen exhaust fan/vent? Is it even a good idea? Any sites, articles or advise and what trailer to buy or what are necessary items include will be much
appreciated.

Heat rises so I'd use a roof fan.... I use a MaxxAir fan and am well pleased with it.

I used Dicor self leveling sealant and mine should never leak.

I converted a Ford Transit cargo van and installed a small 8 inch roof vent. When I stop for the night, I open it to allow heat to rise and vent it without running the fan. If it's too warm, I do run the fan to vent out the hot air. When it rains heavy, the drops hitting the van can splash into the opening....so I do have to close it when it rains. Just my two cents.

First step is converting a cargo into a camper. I have a 4 cylinder Subaru so weight is a concern and of course $$$ is also. Safety is paramount of course. I am researching 5 x 8 v-nose cargos to convert and the info is overwhelming. I have watched a bazillion u-tube videos on conversions and gotten quotes from companies. I live in Seattle and the quality trailers seem to be all out of state. Rain here is an issue so it needs to be well insulated, leak proof and have good ventilation. Does anyone have advise on what kind of fan or vent to use if I don't want a roof vent but do want a side vent that can double as a kitchen exhaust fan/vent? Is it even a good idea? Any sites, articles or advise and what trailer to buy or what are necessary items include will be much
appreciated.
Are you thinking you can pull a 5x8 cargo trailer with a 4-cylinder Subaru? Seems dicey to me...

Tnttt.com has a forum devoted to cargo conversions as well as a foamies forum which outlines light weight construction as well as a towing forum. Featherlight all aluminum trailers may warrant a look as well.

Are you thinking you can pull a 5x8 cargo trailer with a 4-cylinder Subaru? Seems dicey to me...
My daughter pulls a fully loaded teardrop with hers Subaru and a 5 x 8 cargo is a lot lighter. If I don't put much in it it will be with in the weight recommendations of Subaru. Is there some other issue I should know about?

First step is converting a cargo into a camper... good ventilation... kind of fan or vent to use if I don't want a roof vent but do want a side vent...
appreciated.
re -- fan
Years ago, we installed two used 'take-out' MaxxAir-type fans in a food truck.
In keeping with my 'No Holes In The Roof' theory of keeping the interior dry, we installed them sideways in the walls.
I am pretty sure they are still going strong.
In our ExpeditionVehicle, we have windows on four walls.
These are open 24/7/360°... winters, too, to vent humidity and odors.
During warm weather, we use a Craftsman 20v fan.
One two-amp battery lasts most of three nights on LOW, and we keep a full battery next to it.
www.acehardware.com/departments/heating-and-cooling/portable-and-exhaust-fans/household-fans/2005832?x429=true&gclid=CjwKCAjwtIaVBhBkEiwAsr7-c1Z9Q_aH-WyTr-MH2QouRkw2a1cJnz31cn3raQZwxYu5MxMvEUVE3BoCvdoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
re -- first step
* Acquire a likely candidate.
* Toss in some car-camping gear, go have fun.
* Allow the conversion to evolve organically.
I strongly advise NOT spending a year and a hundred thousand fedbux to convert prior to you using your rig for your use.
That tends to force the adventure to fit the conversion.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard in our ExpeditionVehicle.
This rig is the culmination of a half-century of making-do in lesser rigs.
We have no plumbing, minimal electric, no interior galley nor shower, no fridge, no petroleum-based genset, no heated floor nor wine-chiller in the 'entertaining-center'... but No Holes In The Roof.
Our floor is indestructible slate and easily-replaced bamboo plank.
Our ancient AGM bank is going strong.
Our engine has zero-zero-zero computers.
This's as simple as we can make it.
And 'yes', we also watch movies about home-built and Perfesserioneral RecreateVehicles, and we marvel at the astounding complexity.
Complex components woven into complex systems.
Nothing wrong with that -- except for holes in the roof -- but any type of complexity would tend to interfere with our camping.
And besides, simple equals less time learning about fixing stuff, and less time fixing stuff, and less time acquiring stuff to fix stuff.

I once had a 4-cylinder Subaru myself. Great car, but - I wouldn't have towed anything with it. Depends on the engine and whether you have a tow package or not. If you've checked into it, and are sure your car can handle towing a loaded trailer up hills, then go for it.