PSA - Participant Beware

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh crap… I just noticed this was from years ago! Gosh I’m sorry

My experience has been when someone asks about my occupation or my vehicle, etc., their intent is to then brag about what they do/did for work or their vehicle, etc.

The purpose for this Public Service Announcement (PSA) is to help people, especially those new to the lifestyle realize that --

1) Our mobile community is helpful,
2) Mistakes and accidents happen within that helpful community, and
3) Each person needs to take responsibility, use their own common sense, and intuition to keep themselves and their rigs as safe as possible.

Continue reading for a further explanation --

The vandwelling community is expansive, encompassing more than just vans, but also cars and RVs. Similarly, the vandwelling community is much larger than CheapRVLiving (CRVL), HomesOnWheelsAlliance (HOWA), Bob Wells, YouTubers, the RTRs, or various other events. I appreciate that, as a group, we are not solely defined by either our rigs or organizational affiliation. Rather, our community is organic and grassroots!

Yet, we are a community. We meet up, recognize each other, and help each other as we can. For the newcomers to the community, I say welcome! My connection with other "vandwellers" has been life-altering, more fulfilling than I could ever imagine.

Yet, we remain human, with human short-comings. We are a community of humans. As such, sometimes we make mistakes and unintentionally cause harm to a fellow vandweller or to their home on wheels.

We will be coming together shortly, gathering in warmer winter climes. And when we come together, we connect, and often help each other through both organized events and informally.

So, the purpose of this post is to say "participant beware," to the newcomers especially. Each member in our wonderful community is fully human. We make mistakes, and at times unintentionally cause harm*. Be aware if you are connecting with other vandwellers with the intent of receiving help, please use common sense and take care of yourself. We who are helping you certainly do not intend to do harm, but mistakes happen. First and foremost, be responsible for yourself. Pay attention to your gut, your intuition. If it doesn't feel right or safe, you have permission to leave. You have wheels!

Please interpret this "Participant Beware" PSA as an effort to educate and empower; I do not want to dissuade anyone from either giving or receiving assistance. Together we are community.

*Over my past decade as a vandweller, I've seen a huge amount good and successful instances of assistance within the community. I've also seen a few mistakes and problems. This PSA is not about any specific issue, problem, gathering, or individual.
We were missing you in the women's meeting on zoom.

For starters, when we watch, listen to, or read the news I don't think we are nearly as critical as we should be. We forget their goal is to maximize the number of people consuming their product. The way to do that is to sensationalize it. That, in turn, makes us feel like the world is far more dangerous than (I think) it actually is.

While there is always the chance I (we) might bump up against an unpleasant reality, I have found the kinder and gentler reality I expect to find is more often than not the one I actually do find.

For starters, when we watch, listen to, or read the news I don't think we are nearly as critical as we should be. We forget their goal is to maximize the number of people consuming their product. The way to do that is to sensationalize it. That, in turn, makes us feel like the world is far more dangerous than (I think) it actually is.

While there is always the chance I (we) might bump up against an unpleasant reality, I have found the kinder and gentler reality I expect to find is more often than not the one I actually do find.

I became much happier after I quit watching national news. The world isn't that bad of a place.