PSA - Participant Beware

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suanne

Reaction score
The purpose for this Public Service Announcement (PSA) is to help people, especially those new to the lifestyle realize that --

1) Our mobile community is helpful,
2) Mistakes and accidents happen within that helpful community, and
3) Each person needs to take responsibility, use their own common sense, and intuition to keep themselves and their rigs as safe as possible.

Continue reading for a further explanation --

The vandwelling community is expansive, encompassing more than just vans, but also cars and RVs. Similarly, the vandwelling community is much larger than CheapRVLiving (CRVL), HomesOnWheelsAlliance (HOWA), Bob Wells, YouTubers, the RTRs, or various other events.   I appreciate that, as a group, we are not solely defined by either our rigs or organizational affiliation.  Rather, our community is organic and grassroots!

Yet, we are a community. We meet up, recognize each other, and help each other as we can.  For the newcomers to the community, I say welcome!  My connection with other "vandwellers" has been life-altering, more fulfilling than I could ever imagine.

Yet, we remain human, with human short-comings. We are a community of humans. As such, sometimes we make mistakes and unintentionally cause harm to a fellow vandweller or to their home on wheels.

We will be coming together shortly, gathering in warmer winter climes. And when we come together, we connect, and often help each other through both organized events and informally.

So, the purpose of this post is to say "participant beware," to the newcomers especially.  Each member in our wonderful community is fully human.  We make mistakes, and at times unintentionally cause harm*. Be aware if you are connecting with other vandwellers with the intent of receiving help, please use common sense and take care of yourself. We who are helping you certainly do not intend to do harm, but mistakes happen. First and foremost, be responsible for yourself. Pay attention to your gut, your intuition. If it doesn't feel right or safe, you have permission to leave. You have wheels!

Please interpret this "Participant Beware" PSA as an effort to educate and empower; I do not want to dissuade anyone from either giving or receiving assistance.  Together we are community. 

*Over my past decade as a vandweller, I've seen a huge amount good and successful instances of assistance within the community.  I've also seen a few mistakes and problems.  This PSA is not about any specific issue, problem, gathering, or individual.

So you dont know about the meetings?

J/k

In reality over 10 years Ive seen plenty of horrible advice from the community consensus, I've been wrong (and right) plenty, great advice ignored because a self-proclaimed forum/bbs expert disagreed, a ton of helpful advice, and a whole lot of subjective perspectives that do not apply to all or me especially.

That includes any subject/forum ever.

Theres no shortcut for thinking for yourself

just use common sense it what it all boils down to me. good PSA, makes one think a bit :)
and I love they say we are on wheels, don't like something, put the key in the ignition and it is over!

Most people you meet will want to first figure out what you can do for them. There is no such thing as just curious. There is a reason for the curiosity. So what do you do for a living? Tell them you are a mechanic and see if they don't want free advice, or can you take a quick look.....

Anyone can be nice to you while they figure out if they can use you somehow. It does not make them wonderful people.

Danny, not everyone I meet is like that. Those are the take it and run people and never give back. Will there be some quid pro quo on the road? Sure but it is a trade, your knowledge for theirs and sometimes people just enjoy giving but not to the point of being taken advantage of.

Sometimes we can be hobbled by our political or religious viewpoints.  (If myself and my acquaintances are x, then all people know to be x).  This was particularly difficult for me to see when I was first leaving not only the places but the lifestyle I was accustomed to.  The more accepting I make myself be of ‘the others ‘, the more clearly I can see them.  This helps to be wary of them, and to appreciate them as entirely whole human beings.

That's part of life no matter where or who. People march to the beat of their own drummer. I've had personal relationships that have failed for one reason or another. I was divorced twice! That doesn't affect who I am or who I want to be. My journey is the one I have to live with.

If being kind and helpful results in others taking advantage, so be it. That won't change me trying my best to be a positive influence for others. We can't help everyone or fix everyone's problems. We can do a little everyday to make the world a better place, through kindness and love.

I have not noticed all that much of a problem here.

Other forums, though, are sadly filled with people who have never spent a single night in a van but who think they are experts anyway because they have seen a few YouTube vids.

lenny flank said:
Other forums, though, are sadly filled with people who have never spent a single night in a van but who think they are experts anyway because they have seen a few YouTube vids.

I have had people who never lived in WI try to give me advice about how to live here even though I've lived here all my life. That was irritating, but now, it just makes me laugh. :) :) :) :)

I just hope for more positivity in the future is all. I'm looking for solutions to problems not more negativity and more problems.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

The first time I went on the road I met a fellow van dweller. After a long silence I asked him a question about the car shop we both were at. He kindly shared his experiences from the mechanics works. He expressed himself a full time dweller. I asked, "I'm very new to road traveling in my new camper van. What advise could you suggest to give me to make my travels successful". He calmly said "trust no body." I have followed his words and I do feel impowered and successful.

DannyB1954 said:
Most people you meet will want to first figure out what you can do for them. There is no such thing as just curious. There is a reason for the curiosity. So what do you do for a living?  Tell them you are a mechanic and see if they don't want free advice, or can you take a quick look.....

Anyone can be nice to you while they figure out if they can use you somehow. It does not make them wonderful people.
But still some of us have a really big part if our brains stuck on curiosity mode.

I like to swap work and will offer to do what I do well in exchange for something you do well. (I bake really good cookies) I love to see other folks ideas, with the idea that how can I make things work for me. Yep, that makes me a user.

I also love to help people out if I can. It feels good. I have to remember to say NO when that is best for both sides, my side, or just your side. I know I will never get that right 100% of the time. But I will always (I hope) try. It is what makes me part of the human race.

I also except your choice to not. That said, I'm no dummy, I carry pepper spray. And I trust my dogs reaction to folks. My dog don't trust you I won't either.

I am now trying to find a local camping group to have 1-2-3 camp outs a year with. Hubby not so much he is not as comfy with strangers, he thinks like this. That everyone is out to get something from him. (Mostly my cookies)

In some civilized countries on this planet it is considered to be extremely rude to ask people what they do for a living.
Just remember you are under zero obligation to answer that question. Use a polite conversational divergence or politely excuse yourself and leave to go off on some errand or another. Asking what someone does for a living is considered to be rude because it is much the same as asking someone how much money they make which we all know is extremely rude. Don't be rude, they are plenty of other things to talk about with strangers. If they decide to become friends such things as what their profession was are likely to be revealed to you by them in their story telling.

maki2 said:
...revealed to you by them in their story telling.
Some people also avoid telling you where they are from. I did not realize this until I created an awkward moment by asking. I suppose "on the road" is a good answer for any of us with top secret itineries. For occupation I get to say "retired" now.  -crofter

I have never heard that asking what a person does for a living is rude. That may be in some other countries but we are talking, generally, about the U.S. I have never been refused an answer when I've asked that question and have found that most are proud of the work they do and love to share. I have thought about it hard and can't think of a reason anyone would take offense at being asked what they do for a living. When I meet someone I take an interest in them and their life and ask questions that will help me understand them better. If they have no interest in talking that becomes evident quickly and the interest is terminated.

Gee, I guess I've had much different experiences over the past 5+ decades. I've rarely experienced someone getting upset by my asking where they're from. By far most people I've met share that info without missing a beat.

Sure a very few have said something like..."Oh, from here and there". When that was the answer, I sure didn't press the matter further.

Actually, it's kind of ironic discussing the topic because we all have vehicles with plates from this or that state and I'm sure that's started more than a few conversations.

Vonbrown said:
I repaired a fellow nomads rv refrigerator today. I expected nothing in return, and they are happy.
I responded to an accident (four wheeler) the other day. I heard someone say... who is that masked man?” I had to laugh... small town and we all know each other. And the patient was a fellow EMR responder. Wearing masks is a new thing thanks to covid.