Propane tanks...Stealth installation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted about this a while ago: who is the correct professional for a propane system installation? I think it would have to be a licensed plumber or HVAC contractor.

I called a propane dealer who said go to an RV dealer. The RV dealer I called said "we are not a mobile shop"; they seem to have trailers. While there are mobile shops, I have heard very bad things aout the cost and quality of work at RV shops. And I also question whether they're interested or competent regarding the design aspects of a system, rather than just repairing a Winnebago or

So apparently some plumbers are licensed for propane / gas. Given that plumbers are used to working on houses (which can be fairly custom) and are used to having their work checked for code-compliance by building inspectors, I would think they would be the best bet.

ascii_man said:
I posted about this a while ago: who is the correct professional for a propane system installation?  I think it would have to be a licensed plumber or HVAC contractor.

I called a propane dealer who said go to an RV dealer.  The RV dealer I called said "we are not a mobile shop"; they seem to have trailers.  While there are mobile shops, I have heard very bad things aout the cost and quality of work at RV shops.  And I also question whether they're interested or competent regarding the design aspects of a system, rather than just repairing a Winnebago or

So apparently some plumbers are licensed for propane / gas. Given that plumbers are used to working on houses (which can be fairly custom) and are used to having their work checked for code-compliance by building inspectors, I would think they would be the best bet.

I would think think are special certification for mobile systems.  I honestly do not know.  I did a lot of code work, but those were generic systems in CA housing.

Propane distributors , the places that deliver propane tanks to houses , usually have a licensed employee or two.

rvpopeye said:
Propane distributors , the places that deliver propane tanks to houses , usually have a licensed employee or two.

As I said upthread, I called one and they were polite but said "call an RV shop" like I was asking a dumb question. Maybe I need to try a few more.

hmmmmmmm
When I was in New Mexico workamping the guy that delivered the CG propane was the only one allowed to modify my rig's propane system to be hooked up to the 350 gal tank at my site.
IIRC each state has their own requirements.

It IS basically plumbing though....... maybe they're worried about liability or something?

A plumber with natural gas/propane experience for residential work would certainly know how to be safe, but may not be familiar with the sizes and types of connectors used in the RV/camping world.
Old school 'black pipe' would not be something I'd want in an rv. The newer flex connectors and hose for houses could work but would probably not be the right type of connector ends.

If I was looking for someone to do propane work in an rv I would go to a commercial campground and ask around.
You also might want to post on RV.net.

All the RVs I've owned have had a two stage regulator then 3/4-1" black pipe then everything is 3/8" tubing and flare ends...

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Recreation Vehicle Industry Association wrote the book on it.[/font]

Book-5-Propane-Systems

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]RVIA INTRO TO RV SERVICE[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] this link takes you to the index[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]This is a .pdf of a scanned copy.  There are 9 books in size from 13,900 KB to 34,282 KB, 93 to 135 pages each.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]All together 192MB[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Book-1-Introduction[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Book-2-PDI-Work-Book[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Book-3-RV-Preventative-Maintenance[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Book-4-Electrical-Systems[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Book-5-Propane-Systems[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Book-6-Plumbing-Systems[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Book-7-Air-Conditioning[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Book-8-Refrigerator-Systems[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Book-9-Water-Heaters[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]A lot of very good info.[/font]

black pipe is the standard for main lines on RV's. branch lines are copper tubing, all fittings on the copper tubing are flared. actually the propane systems on RV's is quite safe. any problems usually come from lack of maintenance on the appliances or leaving the system live while driving(big no no). highdesertranger

Flex connectors are not for use on RVs, they break after repeated flexing. Copper tubing is correct.

Many use the 20 pound bottles inside the vehicle. Proper ventilation and anchoring is a must! The bottles are designed to, and when working correctly, vent propane gas if over heated. That is a bigger worry than a leak in a fitting. The bottle will vent even with the valve closed. Upright they vent gas, on their side they vent liquid propane. Turns a van into a fireball. Talking about bottles, not frame mounted tanks. If i used a lot of propane, i would have a frame mounted tank. Stealth is an illusion.

Redditors are often poor engineers, so I would double-check the safety of this, but here's a thread from 5 hours ago about a nice installation. But he cut a hole in his van to do it:

ascii_man said:
Redditors are often poor engineers, so I would double-check the safety of this, but here's a thread from 5 hours ago about a nice installation.  But he cut a hole in his van to do it:

Pretty nice.....

But reading though this thread, seems many just keep the bottles inside. I remember the old tank straps (Saw one van with them on a few years ago) would love to get a few of them...Three 20lb bottles does take up some space.

Thanks for posting Wanderer.

I saw a recent video of a guy selling a Roadtrek: it seems that the propane fill was through a hole in the rear bumper; presumably the tank is mounted transversely. So that's another idea.

ascii_man said:
Redditors are often poor engineers, so I would double-check the safety of this, but here's a thread from 5 hours ago about a nice installation. But he cut a hole in his van to do it:

Woooh that's a big hole...fine for a body-on-frame e250 but probably a bad idea on a unibody van. I have to close my eyes and grit my teeth to drill a 3/4" hole.

KMAG YOYO said:
Woooh that's a big hole...fine for a body-on-frame e250 but probably a bad idea on a unibody van. I have to close my eyes and grit my teeth to drill a 3/4" hole.

That is the place I mounted my batteries.  I did it through the top.  Now my van leans.   :-/