• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

My Freshly Built 97 Express Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon33w

Reaction score
For those of you who don't know, I built this van in order to return to the lifestyle after the missus and I broke up. Wouldn't you know, just as I'm wrapping up the van and about to head out on the road we get back together. So, here is my JUST built out van for sale that I haven't even spent a night in.

Van Specs: 

1997 Chevrolet Express 2500 LS Window Van. 
5.7L Vortec 5700 L31 (Chevy 350) backed by a 4L80e trans.
Extra heavy duty full float 10.5 inch rear differential.
Factory tow package with trans cooler, hitch, and trailer wiring.
Dual power seats, power windows, and factory stereo with CD player.
Front and rear AC which was professionally rebuilt last year.
Passed Arizona emissions testing and has a clean title.
181,XXX miles and still runs, drives, & shifts as smooth as she should.

Build Specs:

The interior is built mostly out of 2x3s, 3/4" ply, 3/8" particle board, coated decking screws, paneling, and judicious use of brad nails. Designed it to be pretty much bomb proof since my old van had enough squeaks to drive a mouse mad. This setup is rock solid and doesn't make noise.

The layout is best described by looking at the build pics. 

There are two panels which lock in between the benches to form the bed. Bed dimensions are 73.5" long and about 41" wide. Base layer is a half inch of really dense foam (the blue pads you see) and over that goes the cushions. Cushions are 3" thick silicone cool foam with covers.

The closet and cabinet are both 57" wide and offer TONS of storage. I have filled the cabinet with totes as noted below. Closet fits standard hangers.

Opening in the bulkhead is 27" wide and is closed off via a blackout curtain. Bulkhead edges are sealed to the chassis via angled foam rubber strips. Blocks out light (and snoopers) REALLY well.

The kitchen is one big counter top with a pedestal for an Aquatainer water storage tank and a plastic tote based sink on the passenger side. The sink has a standard drain which is piped down to a 2.5 gallon tank behind the cabinet. That tank has a spigot which can be opened to drain the waste water out of a hose under the van as needed.*

*Note: As I rarely enter the back of my vans from anything but the front cabin I went ahead and mounted the kitchen area to the rear doors. There is a long horizontal 2x3 across the door panels supporting the rear of the counter. If you want to use the rear doors you'd just need to add supports to that piece and then unscrew it from the doors.

All rear windows are all covered with 5% tint. Including the windows behind the paneling. Unpaneled windows have blackout curtains that roll out of the way. You can make the interior virtually pitch black in broad daylight if you like.

Paneling is backed with lamented on Mylar sheeting. Does an excellent job of bouncing back excess heat even in the Arizona sun. Also makes it impossible for someone to try and see the paneling through the tint.

Factory carpeting and padding left in place with indoor/outdoor carpet over the top of that. Seating area has an additional little area rug.

Roof is coated with a white elastomeric reflective home roof coating (KoolSeal). When the body panels are in the sun so long they will burn you the roof is still only warm to the touch.

The power setup for the rear is completely separate from the front. A 100W Renogy solar panel is mounted on the roof and surrounded by angle sheet steel to guide air around it and obscure it from view. That runs to a Wanderer multi-stage charge controller (can take 300w+ if you want to add more solar) which feeds a brand new 101ah deep cell battery. The battery feeds the 4x 12v LED lights, 4x 12v sockets, the vent fan, and a 800w peak 400w constant AC power inverter which has its own led screen for load monitoring.

Ventilation is about as stealth as possible. In the corner of the cabinet is a small high power fan. Reach through the cabinet and pop open the side window. The fan then exhausts the air through that window. Basically impossible to notice from the outside unless you have the fan on high AND it is very quiet outside. When the window is closed it is all invisible.

Accessories:

I already outfitted the van with some goodies and it will come with all of them.

Enough brand new totes to fill the entire cabinet, Reliance portable folding toilet, Coleman butane single burner stove (with butane), my custom designed and built 12V evaporative cooler (VERY low power), pots and pans new in box, Roadpro 12v personal fan, 2x Aquatainers, plus some misc.

Additional info on the build can be found here: https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=25048

Negatives:

It isn't the prettiest build since I was in a bit of a rush. I used cheap tint which didn't go on very cleanly. I'm no seamstress so the cushion covers are very basic. The radio knobs are missing but that doesn't impede its function. Dash is pretty beat up but I have a fitted Covercraft Dashmat on it. Seats are worn but covered with brand new covers. Typical Chevy Express crap paint which I've touched up with Duplicolor in matching white.

Info:

The van is located in Sierra Vista Arizona. We travel to Tucson and Phoenix fairly regularly and may be available in those locations if that is easier for you. If you need to fly in we can coordinate to pick you up from the Tucson airport.

Asking price is $6,000 or best offer. I MAY accept UP TO $3,000 of the price in trade. Trades considered would be for: vehicles, firearms, and/or camera equipment (and related). The rest would be in cash.

Fastest/easiest way to get a hold of me is via text at: 52zero-22four-468four --- I will check in regularly to answer questions on this thread and via PM too though.

-------- Pics To Follow Tomorrow --------

PICTURES !!!

1umtCaG.jpg

cVi7JBT.jpg

B8uIrDi.jpg

EkqdUFI.jpg

0vTLmi2.jpg

x2SnUUb.jpg

VYHKrTW.jpg

Gtoglz6.jpg

A quick bump and to let you guys know that the asking price is lower for Forum members.

:huh:  am I dreaming if I hope you have a handbook to go with your creation?
I made them doing complex legal litigation so lawyers looked smarter & won bigger.
Same thing here, I sense your mass of knowledge isn't put in book form (yet, ya never know!).
The only knowledge booklet guide needed could be culled from post and handed to you to add more data or notes.
Is that possible.

I can't compartmentalize several years of wrench time but I have written several articles on the forum here.
Also, the van will come with as much info I can provide and the new owner needs.

silverglass said:
Have you sold the van?

Not yet, though there is a guy coming next week for a trade plus cash deal we negotiated.
I'd rather straight cash though and it will be sold to the 1st person to put cash in my hand.

Gideon33w said:
Not yet, though there is a guy coming next week for a trade plus cash deal we negotiated.
I'd rather straight cash though and it will be sold to the 1st person to put cash in my hand.

I'm working my shrinking as* off to sell everything and have that cash, but somehow today it hit me that you said a buyer was coming tomorrow, and I have to figure out where to live and what cheap car to buy since every day I list new things on craigslist and I'll I get are seven jerk scammers so far.
But I persist. Or end it. And I'm no quitter.
I wish you nothing but the best, as a fellow human and never a cowardly quitter!  :heart:
Kristine

silverglass said:
I'm working my shrinking as* off to sell everything and have that cash, but somehow today it hit me that you said a buyer was coming tomorrow, and I have to figure out where to live and what cheap car to buy since every day I list new things on craigslist and I'll I get are seven jerk scammers so far.
But I persist. Or end it. And I'm no quitter.
I wish you nothing but the best, as a fellow human and never a cowardly quitter!  :heart:
Kristine

I said next week not tomorrow. Still time.

Gideon33w said:

Cash is all I am bringing, but haven't sold enough stuff yet. Maybe this weekend will change that...a gal can hope! :dodgy:

silverglass said:
Cash is all I am bringing, but haven't sold enough stuff yet. Maybe this weekend will change that...a gal can hope! :dodgy:

If it works out it works out. Good luck !