Propane tanks...Stealth installation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMAG YOYO

Reaction score
I need a propane tank somewhere...

The horizontal ASME tanks that mount underneath are best, but very expensive ($200-800) and somewhat unsteatlhy. 

The typical 20# BBQ tanks are cheap (I already have about 5 of them) and easy to exchange in any 2-horse town in the country. But...for safety we don't want them inside the cabin, and if installed outside are absolutely not stealthy.

Has anyone found a good place to mount a BBQ tank? Or a cheap source for a horizontal tank?

If you have the room, I would still mount them underneath. They would look like air tanks to most people..

John

I've really had no problems with tanks inside. I don't exchange tanks for full ones because it is more expensive than having it filled. I also found out this last year that the exchange tanks are not certified so if you exchange your good tank once and then the next time have that tank filled when the filler looks for the certification date they will not find it and will not fill it! These exchange tanks are also old tanks repainted.

A friend of mine went out on a hike and almost left his dog in the van. When he returned, he opened the doors and was overcome with a cloud of propane. 

He figured out that he had a leak in the gas line, but he also keeps his tank inside. If the dog had been in there, she would have died for sure.

I thought for sure eBay would have several used tanks for sale but I don't see any, probably a liability issue.

Propane tanks are not something to go cheap on.  You cant get your money back if you are dead,

I bought 2 brand new 20#ers at Lowes $30 each.......

I have seen fiberglass locker complete with the door and a vent in them, made for 20 or 5 pounders two different sizes all you do is cut a hole in the side of the van and screw the whole thing on like a window, you have to have space inside to take up the locker like under the bed or in a the back of a cupboard.

I know many people (including myself) who store their tanks in the vehicle without any special venting or problems. Chances are your friend with the leak was careless with use and/or maintenance.

I keep the hose attached to the tank (but not to the stove or heater) which gives me two systems preventing leaks -- the valve on the tank and the check valve on the end of the hose. My tank is also anchored to the van with a heavy steel strap of the type used to mount tanks to forklifts.

Are you sure that you can't get it fairly stealth mounting underneath? VW campers often have a small propane tank.

It also depends on your Personal Philosophy of Stealth: as OffGrid24/7 likes to say, "they always know". While having a pair of BBQ tanks on your bumper would cause a lot of civilians to call the cops, I would think that a tank installation would be "inconspicuous" if not "invisible": people would have to look closely and at the correct angles, e.g., if you park on a hill.

I'm very interested in this because I also plan to get a propane tank mounted.

Regarding suppliers, is there a better deal than this: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23916? It's 5.9 gallons for $500. They also sell a 3.3 gallon tank for $380: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=2447. I would think you might as well go big.

KMAG YOYO said:
A friend of mine went out on a hike and almost left his dog in the van. When he returned, he opened the doors and was overcome with a cloud of propane. 

He figured out that he had a leak in the gas line, but he also keeps his tank inside. If the dog had been in there, she would have died for sure.

I thought for sure eBay would have several used tanks for sale but I don't see any, probably a liability issue.

Always close the valve on propane tanks when not in use.

1. Propane detector
2. CO detector
3. Smoke alarm

If you want to get out alive.  

I know, none of us do in the end :D

I carry two 20# tanks. One for the heater and one for the stove. Also butane cans for the single burner. Hoses are cheap, I think they should be replaced annually... and always turn the appliances off at the bottle. True! I am a rolling 'bomb'....my van is a rolling bomb! Hahahahaha!

Planning on carrying 1 or 2 standard BBQ tanks, the special tanks cost a fortune and have specialized fittings like the vans built-in propane tank. Thinking of building lockers on the back doors to hold things like that, what does the law think about an upright BBQ tank inside a metal locker mounted to the back of the van? Otherwise the only place for the tanks are in a vented box under the bed, tanks themselves placed on their sides.

The vans built-in tank requires a special RV-type fitting which severely limits the places it can be filled. They should have never manufactured the built-in tanks like this.

I believe storing tanks on their side is a big no no because it will vent/leak liquid propane rather than gas. I have no qualms about the 20lb or old POL valve 5lb tank sitting in a milk crate, with no special venting inside my van. I personally am more concerned about bringing 1lb tanks inside once they have been attached then removed from an appliance or refill adapter.

You can get used aluminum Forklift tanks designed to be on their side on ebay but they are expensive. I considered it but for the money? Standard BBQ or smaller 5 and 10-11lb tanks do the job just fine.

I am also a van bomb with LPG, butane and smokeless powder all inside my van.

ascii_man said:
Regarding suppliers, is there a better deal than this: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23916? It's 5.9 gallons for $500. They also sell a 3.3 gallon tank for $380: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=2447. I would think you might as well go big.

That is certainly more than I'd like to spend, but that is the right tank. Everything else I've seen would hang down too far below the rocker panels.

minimoto, I think the Forklift tanks are designed for liquid withdrawal rather than vapor, I noticed this difference in the descriptions. For our purposes, we need vapor withdrawal.

You guys need to go talk to a Professional propane guy and get some advice , your doing all sorts of things wrong!

Mobilesport said:
You guys need to go talk to a Professional propane guy and get some advice , your doing all sorts of things wrong!

Hank Hill   :p

There are only a couple things that scare me.  One of them is gas systems.  Especially if they are supposed to pas governmental inspection.

Get someone who knows the law somewhere in the process.  preferably before you spend some money.  :-/

Latest posts