Preference? Alone or in Group?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I framed this as a question because I've watched so much Jeopardy in the past.  

The truth is that I've realized after 10 1/2  months that when I compare the times I've camped/parked by myself with those that I've shared space and time with others, I far prefer to be by myself.   The last time I was at a group outing, I left after one night. Mainly because I wanted to get home, finish my trailer, and get back on the road.  But I also started feeling claustrophobic.

It is a little puzzling, since I'll talk your ear off ; until you look at your watch and say, "Well, I really have to go ! "...  :D 

I like people, and I enjoy their company.  When I lived in a house or apartment, though, I kind of looked forward to getting back home.  I think the truth is similar on the road. I drive around in my home.  Most of the time, it is extremely liberating.  

The last time I owned a house (10 years ago), there was an HOA which I felt stifled by.   I sold my house, and moved into an apartment.  I lived in that complex for almost 10 years.  I liked it, because I could visit with people, and then go home.  The complex management was not intrusive, and my neighbors realized that I would keep an eye on them and their place.   So, I had positive relationships, just casual ones. 

Anybody else feel this way?

Regards,

Pat

There is a comfort being around those you know and get along with. Being solo is extremely liberating. So I like being solo with the occasional get together although I may park a bit off the group.

I have a friend who has a cabin near Bryson City, NC.  Last week I was there with nobody else, parked at the top of the driveway.  I saw a bear saunter by about 500 yards away.  Six wild turkeys visited.  There were squirrels.  It was great.  : )

There needs to be a third choice. Sober I prefer my own company, get a lil buzz goin' and I want to swap shit stories.

jimindenver said:
There is a comfort being around those you know and get along with. Being solo is extremely liberating. So I like being solo with the occasional get together although I may park a bit off the group.

As you and I have discussed before, I love having you and Max for neighbors (especially Max), but love my solitude. 
If I have to park near someone,  you would be my choice.  I feel like we are simpatico!   

Lacy says to tell Max Hi.

Pat

Wabbit said:
There needs to be a third choice. Sober I prefer my own company, get a lil buzz goin' and I want to swap shit stories.

Ok.. there are 3 choices now, we need to keep Elmer happy!  

:D

Pat
 Hell yes! One of the main reasons we are leaving. I know we are not supposed to talk about certain things here, We have been gang stalked by our lame ass neighbors for ten years now, and there seems be no way to make it stop short of dying. We hope and pray this nutty mason shit will stay behind but doubt it will.

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

Both!

Really!

I love parking with my friends in the winter, having group dinners, nights out to see the local bands, going shopping with the crew and going sightseeing as a group.

BUT I also love my alone time.

There's a fine balance.

Some days all I need is to go for my morning walk all by myself. Some evenings it's crawling in to bed early to read. Sometimes it's necessary to head off for at least 48 hours of solitude. I've learned to be honest with myself and diplomatic with the rest of the world...okay almost learned that one... :p

It also depends on who I'm with....more than a few days with some people and I'm running for the hills. Others I can't wait to spend some time with. And then there's the people who drive me nuts within the first 15 minutes. I've learned to park far away from them and if they move in on me, I leave the area!

I think it just means you are a classic introvert.

Many introverts like people and enjoy good company. The difference is that an introvert needs solitude in order to recharge the batteries, and extroverts need a crowd (the noisier and happier the better) to get recharged. 

I'm an introvert, but no one who knows me would describe me as shy or retiring. But I need A LOT of down time.

Almost There said:
 And then there's the people who drive me nuts within the first 15 minutes. I've learned to park far away from them and if they move in on me, I leave the area!

Boy oh boy, do I get THAT one.  But I usually am enough of an obnoxious a*hole that those people leave me alone before I have do an "exit, stage left"... but not always!  

Regards,

Pat

AlmostThere: "And then there's the people who drive me nuts within the first 15 minutes. I've learned to park far away from them and if they move in on me, I leave the area!"

Oh, like relatives!

For me this depends largely on who is in the group. I'm not much interested in what people think I should want to do, and that's why a lot of times I prefer to be by myself. Large crowds annoy me, as do loud boisterous people, but the occasional small group of select friends works best.

I'm going to answer with both. I like being on my own.. some of the time. And I like being in a group.. some of the time. I think I need a balance of the two somewhere in my life. I don't really want to be either all of the time. As far as groups go I would rather it be a small group where I get to know everyone there. People that are like minded to spend some time with. But I love my alone time as well.

I prefer alone, or with a friend. Maybe two friends.

I love people and casual, impromptu get-togethers. But I also love my own company and have many solitary activities I enjoy. I don't usually like to be obligated to do things at a pre-arranged time. I might or might not feel like hanging out, and too often find myself wishing I hadn't made a commitment. it depends, of course, on the occasion. Potlucks, shopping trips, movies, museums, historic sites, sightseeing, etc can be much more fun and rewarding when shared with compatible folks. I think I'm probably typical for my age group (ancient.)

It seems like the topic of this thread relates to a semi-well-known book of a few years ago called, "Bowling Alone." I haven't read the book -- only have seen reviews of it. I wonder if any of the commenters have read the book, and whether it is pertinent to this thread.

It seems that camping is a type of "Bowling Alone," at least as some people visualize it.

"you know when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself." sorry I couldn't resist.

actually I like both. small groups or alone. I do like the RTR and that's not a small group. I guess I like it all. highdesertranger

pnolans said:
As you and I have discussed before, I love having you and Max for neighbors (especially Max), but love my solitude. 
If I have to park near someone,  you would be my choice.  I feel like we are simpatico!   

Lacy says to tell Max Hi.

Pat

You are of a handful of people that I enjoy being around. We get along, we can trust each other and we both respect each others privacy and space enough to know that it isn't personal if the other person needs some alone time. The fact that we are friends makes it a bit easier. ;)

Since I prefer to be alone in my home, I'm going to guess that the same will hold true if I ever manage to get out on the road. ;)

The only thing that might change is the work factor. As of now, being in the office 40 hours a week absolutely drains me, and I need the weekends to recharge. I rarely even speak to anyone aside from a grocery clerk on Saturday. If I didn't have to work full-time in an office, my social needs might increase, but I still don't think my preferences would change that much. I've always been a loner.

highdesertranger said:
"you know when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself."   sorry I couldn't resist.

actually I like both.  small groups or alone.  I do like the RTR and that's not a small group.  I guess I like it all.  highdesertranger

NEVER apologize for quoting George! 

Latest posts