Positioning trailer for backing into site

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byrd2001

Reaction score
I find all types of videos concerning the nuances of backing a camper, all of which have been most helpful. And practice is what is it all about, I agree. But the one problem I'm still grappling with is this: where do I position the trailer BEFORE I begin to back into the site! I find myself either too far to the left or too far to the right of the location I want. Obviously not a big problem with a wide site, but when narrow...well it's in and out, in and out so many times!  I am new at towing a camper RV...and it is quite small, so I know that adds to the challenge. But I'm not beyond reaching out to this forum to offer me some insights on this positioning thing!! Thanks!

this probably won't help but it will all come with experience. highdesertranger

Making the first pull-up for backing will either get the rig ready for an easy back-up, or not. It's important to position the rig where the backing up will be at a gentle curve or a straight line if possible.

If you keep the angle between the tow vehicle and trailer shallow, and keep the rear of the trailer in your mirrors at all times, it will help. If the rear of your trailer moves out of your view in the mirrors, pull forward and try again. 

I'm sure you have already been told to put one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move that hand the way you want the trailer to go while backing.

In the trucking industry, for safety, we have a little 4 letter phrase: G.O.A.L.

Get Out And Look! Never be afraid to hop out and walk back and look over the situation if you don't have a lot of room.

Each setup reacts differently.  I have decades of experience backing smaller trailers but I had a good view our of the back window.  It meant that I had my left hand on the steering wheel right arm over the back of the seat and I am turned so that I can see out the back window.  For some reason it was easy for me to back into almost any space but a lot of it is done intuitively.  I can imagine where the body of the TV, trailer and all of the tires are regardless of the direction, turning L or R or speed. 

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]I have a 2003 Ford E350 and tow a 29' [/font][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]1976 Airstream[/font][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif].  [/font]11 years ago I had to learn to back that set up into a space and it was not easy.  After about the second year I felt more comfortable backing the 29' trailer with mirrors and a spotter but I still lose track of all the variables and occasionally have to start over. Most of the time I have no problems but if I have been driving for 6-10 hours things don' go well sometimes.

Since the mirrors provide a limited view of what is behind me I often get out and look.  Each time I get ready to back up I will jump out of the van and walk back to the end of the trailer.  In my case I usually drive 8 feet or so forward of the near part of the space I want to get into and then start backing up but that depends if there are any holes, rocks, other rigs close by, trees, the width of the space, any limbs overhead, or little children running around my rig.

It is the little kids that are the most bothersome.  You have no idea if you have backed over one and if you do it is way too hard to pick the little body parts out of the tread.  I am sure you have had some similar problems.

Anyway, just start making up ways that allow you to keep track of the trailer and the front of the TV at the same time.  Drive slowly and learn to buff out scratches and how you can use Bondo to patch up dents.  It helps if you  are good with spray paint and can find a two part clear coat in a rattle can.

Attachments

• SMB n AS.jpg
    SMB n AS.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 75
mespringer said:
It is the little kids that are the most bothersome.  You have no idea if you have backed over one and if you do it is way too hard to pick the little body parts out of the tread.  

A stiff bristle brush and Simple Green works well.
:p

Every situation is different. Trees, rocks, overhanging wires, traffic, sun, shadows, light, etc., all make a difference. When I first started backing up I just kept at it until I got it where I wanted.

As a related post, the last site I backed into was on the first try. Yay, Ted!

Having LED reverse lights on the trailer is a big help. My trailer doesn't have reverse lights and that's a bummer. Having a spotter can help, too.

WOW...I kept thinking I was missing something...but it sounds like I’m on the right track with practice, practice, practice!!! And I’m also VERY good at jumping in and out to see what I’m doing!!  Major thanks for the replies...the exact reason I appreciate this forum: support without belittling. (But my guess a few rolled eyes from readers. That I can understand as well.) LOL

PS: Way to go WalkaboutTed!!

Best thing I can suggest is a very large empty parking lot, put out some cones or just try to get it between the lines!

Practice is the only thing that is going to teach you  how to get it where you want it the first time!

It's also important to have a set of side mirrors on your tow vehicle that are made wide for towing. This helps a lot! Without them I can't see the back of my trailer and I wouldn't know if I did bump into something or cut it so close I can't get in the side door. Yup, that's happened. Lol.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Cheat as often as you can by driving in such a way you don’t have to back out to get out!

Get out and walk it while making a plan!

Get close to where you want to be and get out to make sure you’re where you think you!

Practicing with cone really works! My dad did that for us when we were kids and we got pretty good at getting it where we wanted it!

Avoid backing up by Braille unless it’s soft stuff around you and your trailer is solid!

Do it more often!

SD

When you drive a car forward the front most wheels control where you are going.  When backing up the axle that goes first, the trailer axle, controls where you are going.  You can't just turn the steering wheel and aim the trailer.  You have to turn the car then move to turn the trailer.  Then the car can follow the trailer.

Another option is to have a receive hitch on the front of your rig then put your stinger in that. There is no backing in- you drive forward to put it into place! It is super-dee-duper nice to have.