politicians

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caretaker

Reaction score
after watching TV today, the way our elected reps are stroking each other you would think they single handidly stopped an invasion of commie hordes.

why say that when their lives were almost taken from them in a tragic situation. If the leader had not been there, no police would have been present and many would have lost their lives.

" Hodgkinson had been living out of a white cargo van in Alexandria."

Gee, thanks a lot, shithead. (sigh)

I wonder if they have changed their personal views on gun control????

Dave

I wonder how many more minutes this thread will be open? [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could we PLEASE not turn this into yet another goddamn political debate.....? it's tedious and tiresome. Geez.

My great grandfather was a politician. He was also a farmer. My dad said that his great gift was that he had an almost photographic memory so he would remember everyone's names and the names of their spouses and kids. That made people feel special so they would vote for him. Alas, I didnt inherit that talent. I don't think I would have made a good politician anyways ;;) have a low tolerance for bullsh**. My great grandfather? Like I said, he was a farmer. And he had a bull so he was more used ti it I guess :)

A general observation, which I hope won't turn into a political debate.

In my home state, NY, being a state legislator is a full time, paid position.  And one which also pays a nice retirement pension, to boot.  And as near as I can see - and I was a history and political science major in college and I pay attention to politics here - they do not do much of anything for most of the year, then pass a flurry of bills in the final couple of weeks of the legislative session before adjourning for the summer.

I understand there are some states in the west - I think Wyoming might be one of them, IIRC - where being a legislator is a part time job.  The legislature meets for six or eight weeks, the part time legislators get paid like $10,000 and no pension, and for the rest of the year they have to go back and hold a REAL job.

If we HAVE to have politicians - and in a democracy, I guess we do - would that they were all like that.  I'm sure they would do far less damage.

The problem with having part time politicians with low pay is that it is still a position of great power of the sort which can mean a lot of extra money if one is rich. It would pay for the owner of a business to get elected. He might only get $10k in pay but if he can vote for the right legislation, he can make millions. 

Another thing that seems like a good idea but turns out not to be is term limits. Here in Michigan, we have term limits and it has resulted in inexperienced politicians who tend to rely on lobbyists to tell them how to do their jobs.

Term limits are a good idea. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely(or something like that). 2 term limits. Period. If they screw around and play with funds, it will come to light a lot quicker when they are out of office and have no "power". They have to listen to lobbyist? And you believed them? This isn't string theory, its govt. Basically its the opposite of string theory, a fancy monkey could it.

i want a job where i can vote myself a pay raise

pay them minimum wage and i bet they will pay a little more attention to the tax codes

lenny flank said:
Could we PLEASE not turn this into yet another goddamn political debate.....? it's tedious and tiresome. Geez.
Looking at thread title once again. I'm surprised with that title this thread is still open?

this thread should have been deleted..poor moderation.

RVTravel said:
this thread should have been deleted..poor moderation.

I disagree. Not that it matters, but since it's likely to get closed sooner or later, I may as well take my turn at voicing an opinion :)

I have been watching this thread, so far I don't see any reason to close it. a couple posts were boarder line. but didn't go anywhere. if those who object to this thread PM with your reasons I will reconsider. highdesertranger

I've no objection. And, for what it's worth, I appreciate your restraint. Thank you for giving it a chance.

Well then, since HDR isn't closing....

Don't you think the whole thing is hysterical? Saturday Night Live and many other shows just wouldn't be the same!!

I try to keep thinking comical so I don't get upset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say I wouldn't close it. like I said PM me with why you object and I will consider. hell one of the other Mods might come along and close it and I would be fine with that. I myself just haven't seen a reason to yet. highdesertranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts