Roll Your Own!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvNaut

Reaction score
Battery.... roll your own Lithium Battery bank... why? Because it is less expensive and you will learn what it going on inside the box. Ok, yes... if you have zero mechanical/electrical knowledge this path might not be for you.
Almost 2 years ago I built a 48volt, 15Kwh battery for my RV. All in, it cost $3000. For you 12v people it is the equivalent of 1120 Amp Hour 12 volt battery. The 16 cells $163 each, the BMS was $170 and the box and other stuff was a few hundred. Here is the thing... today you can order the same cells I used for $103!!! Of that $3k... $2608 were the cells... that would be $1648 today.. almost $1000 less expensive... all other materials cost about the same... so today I coulkd build my 15Kwh battery for $2000!! $2000/15000=$.13 per watt hour.... ( I have *not* compared this to current Box prices.)
It seems that most commercial LION batteries do not let you see what the BMS is doing, not be able to change any parameters. If one cell goes bad, you never know.
YouTube has dozens of really good videos on how to build your own. I would encourage you to do so... you gain the knowledge and a good system for less.
the co I bought my cells for sent me fa flyer with their xmas sale.... if you want a copy plz PM me... no affiliation and no gain on my part