When Big Brother might save a life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
An Amazon driver has apparently been mauled to death by dogs in Missouri. Local residents called in to report that an Amazon van had been parked in their neighborhood for several hours:

https://www.kmbc.com/article/amazon...h-investigation-ray-county-missouri/41760033#
As I understand it, many transportation companies these days closely monitor their drivers. Years ago I drove a wheelchair van and it was equipped with a GPS system that also included messaging to the dispatcher. For each stop we logged in and out and also for breaks. The supervisor could watch our movements in real time on the home setup.

It's too bad Amazon didn't have a system in place that would detect a truck sitting for an X period of time before sending some kind of alert.

It's possible the driver may have survived if authorities would have been alerted sooner.

Last edited:
It is hunting season in many areas. In southern Missouri and northern Arkansas it used to be not uncommon to release several dogs at once many of which became lost and are left to find their own way back. Some would become wild packs living by bring down deer. Not all dogs are friendly little puppies wanting to be petted. Be aware of your surroundings and do not approach stray dogs in those parts of the country.

^My first thought was pitbulls that got loose since it was in a reisidential neighborhood. You hear so often of that happening these days. It's true about packs though, which can be made up of all types of dogs.

In some states they hunt feral pigs and the dogs used are the more muscular breeds and not the traditional bird dog types. Packs made up of those bruisers might be pretty scary.

Last edited:
It's too bad Amazon didn't have a system in place
My first thought when I read that was ... Amazon? don't they monitor the c@rp out of their people? And I found this article: "Amazon drivers must consent to biometric monitoring"
I wonder what went wrong.
A scary thing. I guess any kind of dog can form/join a pack, right? and there are always abandoned dogs. I know I've avoided areas to walk when I've seen too many dogs active. But you can't always see it coming of course.

My first thought when I read that was ... Amazon? don't they monitor the c@rp out of their people? And I found this article: "Amazon drivers must consent to biometric monitoring"
I wonder what went wrong.
A scary thing. I guess any kind of dog can form/join a pack, right? and there are always abandoned dogs. I know I've avoided areas to walk when I've seen too many dogs active. But you can't always see it coming of course.
Amazon subcontracts drivers often. Maybe this driver was a subcontractor. There are several options for delivering parcels for Amazon (including Flex which is like a Door Dash gig). Guessing only the drivers employed directly by Amazon are monitored.

The last town I lived in (across the river from Missouri) had at least one pack of dogs. The dogs killed more than one small dog (a pet) and multiple cats.

It was a mastiff and a German shepherd, inside a fenced yard where the delivery man was found, on the ground.

Owners were not at home, dogs accessed the yard thru a doggie door.

Awful, and my bet is that this was not the first sign of aggression from these dogs.

My dog was attacked by a pit bull a few years back, and it was life changing for us both.

..... I know I've avoided areas to walk when I've seen too many dogs active. But you can't always see it coming of course.
I always carry bear spray when walking my dog (a beagle). Too many people let aggressive dogs run loose.

It's always, 'just an accident' and like kids left in hot cars there is seldom much of a prosecution.

My younger sister was a mail carrier for a while and was a dog lover but she never hesitated to use mace if the dogs came near.

She was told too many times,"Oh he doesn't bite" but twice they did just that.