Watching TV on iPAD via Coax?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraVanCampers

Reaction score
I first searched and did not see an answer. On a rare occasion when camping at a private campground that has a cable tv hookup at the site (think coax cable to van or RV) has anyone found a converter (aka adapter) that takes the coax TV output at the campsite and allows the signal to pass to a USB-C or HDMI handoff?

The new Apple IPAD's have a USB-C port that I was hoping to connect up to the campgrounds coax. The IPAD cable is referred to as a Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter that has a USB and a HDMI port. We are to small inside the van for a TV and would like to use our IPAD for being able to view TV when we do not have a solid WiFi signal or cellular signal. Normally we would stream when possible.

Kinda like the old PC days when you would connect a TV Tuner to your computer to watch analog TV on the computer.

Thank you!

Generally speaking an ipad can't be used as a monitor. Unless the video is generated by the iPad. Streaming, videos on the device, etc

Thank you Happy Camper. Makes sense. I guess I was hoping that maybe there was an iPad app that might take the video (TV) input and allow viewing.

Instead of tying up the ipad why not buy a really small TV just for those 'rare' occasions?

Here is one:

ebay-small tv

This one has an hdmi input and other ports so you might even be able to use it as a second monitor on a laptop.

Instead of tying up the ipad why not buy a really small TV just for those 'rare' occasions?

Here is one:

ebay-small tv

This one has an hdmi input and other ports so you might even be able to use it as a second monitor on a laptop.
And since you have an iPad, you can always cast or hdmi to the TV from it if you want to watch something larger.

Here is one:

ebay-small tv

That's a nice little unit, and 12 volts powered too. Good find.

Here is one:

ebay-small tv

That is a great idea. I had thought of using an existing 24" but I just am trying to keep things from getting to busy in the van. This might work though.
I did an internet search for "tv tuner for ipad" and got a lot of hits, including way back to 2016.
https://www.macworld.com/article/22...n-your-ipad-or-iphone-into-a-handheld-tv.html
The network tuners that they mention I am not seeing how they connect up to the iPAD however I did find one unit that has its own antenna and is compatible with an iPAD. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

You need to have software that acts as the cable TV tuner. The devices with antennas have software for receiving Over The Air TV stations. So the iPad compatible one with the antenna is not going to be adaptable for the RV parks coax cable setup even if you get the model with a coax fitting. That fitting is still meant to attach to an antenna that is used only for receiving over the air TV stations coming from local broadcast towers.

If you are going to invest in a television I suggest getting one you can stream to or cable to for use as a monitor for your iPad. They do make low power LED with a 12v power source.

Do a keyword search with
RV TV monitor LED 12v

Last edited:
I first searched and did not see an answer. On a rare occasion when camping at a private campground that has a cable tv hookup at the site (think coax cable to van or RV) has anyone found a converter (aka adapter) that takes the coax TV output at the campsite and allows the signal to pass to a USB-C or HDMI handoff?

The new Apple IPAD's have a USB-C port that I was hoping to connect up to the campgrounds coax. The IPAD cable is referred to as a Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter that has a USB and a HDMI port. We are to small inside the van for a TV and would like to use our IPAD for being able to view TV when we do not have a solid WiFi signal or cellular signal. Normally we would stream when possible.

Kinda like the old PC days when you would connect a TV Tuner to your computer to watch analog TV on the computer.

Thank you!
Hi, Over the last 5 years, I've had really good results with Supersonic TV's. I currently have the Supersonic SC-2411 which is a 24" tv with every input you can imagine, and a great display. I think I paid about $130 two years ago. They also have a wide range of other 12 device such as DVD players. I like my tv because it's a great monitor for my laptop, and it operates on AC if I have dock power. No adapter required, it comes with an ac cord.

Supersonic SC-2411​

Some time back I was looking into those mini PICO Projectors for TV. I don't know if anyone else has considered using one or not.

This is just one example:

Portable Home Mini USB Projector
It really depends on the viewing conditions when using a projector. Lighting being the most important.

The pico projects are super small and can run on battery for a decent time. But they are low on lumens and can be expensive.

You can get some very small projects that aren't quite that small. But still have good output and can most likely run 12v if desired.

Without decent lumens, the picture will generally be inferior to an LED screen. But a projector is more versatile, given enough lumens.

Thanks Happy. I'm wondering how many lumens you would suggest?

Ive seen a few that will run 12 volt dc and others that are like a Swiss Army Knives with features such as built in DVD player, HDMI, USB C, USB 2/3 Jump Drive, and other aux inputs. Even with Bluetooth to pair Cells or with things like a remote speaker. (the ones that look like a boom box with built in Lithium battery) I already have a Sylvania SP 333 DG speaker that can pair with the Dual sound system. in the Van. I picked up my BT speaker as an open box sale for $10. Works perfectly.

Public libraries have so many DVD movies that one could even load in a library computer's DVD drive to copy it onto a USB Jump Drive. (so you could copy the DVD movie(s) to the jump drive while there and not need loads of WIFI to stream moves).

How to Copy a DVD to A Flash Drive/USB

If really depends on where you want to use it. If it's within the van then you need something that is what they call "short throw". That's when you need a bigger picture from a shorter distance. Size of the picture will depend on how far the projector is from the screen, or sheet, or whatever you use.

If it's mostly for outside, you'll probably want higher lumens.

Higher lumens is always better. Only buy led projectors, as the older models had lamps that are extremely expensive to replace.

Since you mentioned DVD, there are a few projectors with built in DVD. I have sold a few of these. And have one in my storage that I'm keeping for personal use.
BIGASUO Upgrade HD Bluetooth Projector Built in DVD Player, Mini Video Projector 1080P Supported Compatible with TV/HDMI/VGA/AV/USB/TF SD Card, Portable Outdoor Movie Projector https://a.co/d/8eImL8Z
There are a lot of similar projectors out there. It mainly depends how you want to use it.

Wow ! Happy, that's the most impressed I've ever been with a projector. :) Thanks for the great info.

Two questions. It seems it doesn't Bluetooth connect with smartphones.

(Note: Bluetooth NOT support to connect with smartphones)

Could you connect it in another way ?

And for home theater sound ? HIFI is listed but little else is described for the sound system. I have an old subwoofer with four smaller speakers (surround sound) from an old computer and wonder what I could expect if I tried to use them. These are only a set of speakers which didn't provide a control box for them.

As a lot of nomads are traveling these days with the oncome of the summer months they will be visiting friends & family and this could be great for a show and tell of their travels. So the bricks & mortar "Job People" could get a better understanding of what's out there and why people are wanting to work remotely. (opposed to the daily morning routine, rush hour to work, day at the office, evening rush hour home, fix dinner, watch TV, play golf, sleep & repeat it day in and day out not knowing any different) People should realize that there is a live beyond the 9 to 5 office plantation.

SierraVanCampers asked

Before the flat screen TV's became popular people were buying converter boxes that sit on top of the old picture tube TV's. You'd think all of those tube TV's would be gone and the boxes with them....but there are newer ones with HDMI and USB (not sure if it's C or not) Give this a look.

iView 3300STB ATSC Converter Box with Recording, Media Player, Built-in Digital Clock, Analog to Digital, QAM Tuner, HDMI, USB 3300STBA

If I were using this at a campground, I'd have an extension Coax that would reach from the hook up to the inside of the van to keep the box out of the elements. As I understand it, the USB on this box is for an imput. (like a hard drive) But it isn't a whole lot of money for one of these boxes.

Contact the company in this link that makes TV tuner products for Apple products. If anyone an help you find the right product for what you want to do they might have what you need. Talk to their customer service department.
https://shop.geniatech.us/products/streaming-device/tv-tuner/
If you find a solution please come back and post it for other iPad or iPhone users.

Last edited: