Using flat RG6 coax cable with low loss RG58 to run through window jam

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGGWild

Reaction score
[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Does anyone know if a short section of RG6 flat coax cable could be used to connect 2 sections of low loss RG58 cable through a window jam without much signal loss? I'm buying supplies to connect a directional antenna to a Wilson cellular booster and would like to be able to run the cable from the antenna through a window in the back of my trailer. The window has a side opening which is more difficult to shelter from rain, plus it it is located at the back of a bunk which is used for storage and would be somewhat of a pain to access.[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Elec...294&sr=8-5&keywords=flat+window+coaxial+cable[/font]

Every connection has a loss. Why not a drilled hole with a grommet and seal.

RG-58 is 50 ohm and RG-6 is 75 ohm. I assume the Wilson uses 50 ohm, so not a good idea.

Weight said:
Every connection has a loss. Why not a drilled hole with a grommet and seal.

That's plan B ... maybe due for a promotion.

Tom_M said:
RG-58 is 50 ohm and RG-6 is 75 ohm. I assume the Wilson uses 50 ohm, so not a good idea.

I noticed that, but the only flat coax cable on the Wilson/WeBoost sights is the 75 RG-6. I'll contact them directly tomorrow to get their advice. Thanks

Here is the response I received from Wilson Electronics with regard to using their 75 ohm RG-6 window entry cable to connect two sections of their 50 ohm RG-58 cable ...

... you are able to use a window entry cable with your set up without an issue since it wont have much signal loss.

CORRECTION - Wilson's newest window entry cable is 50 ohm RG-58 with FME connectors