ROKU SE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XERTYX

Reaction score
So.. today I bought a "ROKU SE" from Wally world. Walmart * exclusive it says.

$24.88

Also I did a search. I found ONE roku thread. From 2018.

So. I have used a number of rokus. I like them well enough. This one seems as expected. 

The interesting thing is that internet searches have shown roku devices being remarkably low draw. That's why I went with one.

This is kinda an electrical thread. And kinda internet. And kinda hobby. More like entertainment.

Anyway. I tested mine thru a 12v tv connected to a 12v solar charge controller load. The roku was plugged into the Polaroid 19" TVs "service" USB port.

The TV I bought from a pawn shop. It was marked 36w 12v through a wall adapter. $20 it was.

I snipped the wall adapter and tested the voltage and polarity coming out of it.

Connected the TV to the load of my CC and switched it on. Around 15 watts. The internet says a roku uses around 2.7w to 3w.

I connected the roku via USB port on the tv. Around about 16-17 or 18w. I turned the volume to max and started streaming a movie. 

The most I could push out of this TV/ ROKU combo was under a combined 19 watts. I have yet to test the brightness of the TV. That will obviously increase the wattage.

Anyway. If you have a TV already that you can run on your setup you can run a ROKU for 25 bucks if you also have a hotspot. 

Even IF it pulled 5 watts . . (It doesnt) but if it did it would only pull 120 watt hours daily running 24/7

What it comes with
Roku
USB cable
Hdmi cable
Remote
Remote batteries
Double stick tape to mount it on tv.

They need internet. Wifi.

They can stream from YouTube, hulu, Netflix, everything youd expect. And TV over IP.

Also they have screen casting just like a $40 chrome cast (my old favorite).