Police- My first encounter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auto360

Reaction score
Well, not my first encounter "ever", but while living in the van here in Utah for the last nine weeks it has been my first.  I have mixed feelings on cops because I have had both very positive and negative experience with them. But anyway, my story...
So, I pulled into Planet Fitness shortly after nine pm and my normal spot had a vehicle in it. Just to add, I just picked up my new Olympian Wave 3000 at my classmates house so I was going to be unboxing it. Anyway, I parked...I always back in, and then got in the back and was in the process of putting my windshield/window coverings on. While doing that I did not have the lights on inside but the parking lot is well lit and I have a sun roof so its pretty easy to see inside. Well, as I was sitting in my passenger seat which is facing backwards because I put it on a swivel, two girls happen to be walking by to their car which was parked next to me. They looked in and saw me and I probably did look slightly suspicious to them.
Well, about 15-20 minutes later I see a guy with a flashlight (I hadn't put the passenger window cover up yet) and I noticed he was walking towards my van so it didn't take long to realize he was a cop. As he walked up I slid open my sliding door, I was sitting on my office chair, and greeted him. First thing I want to note is he did not have an attitude which is always a relief. He told me that someone called saying "I" or my "van" looked suspicious. Conversation went easy and I explained that I was a nursing student here and easily answered all his questions. He also later told me that it was a female who called in because I told him about the two females that walked by earlier. I told him the different places I parked and such. He basically said that if no one complains then they don't really have an issue with me. I had given him my license and my phone number. He mentioned to me that he appreciated my openness. I think a few other factors helped also, those being: I'm clean cut and was well dressed, my van is clean,  even my tires are clean and shiny with Armorall and I just waxed it the day before so it looks pretty good. Plus the inside is neat and clean...it doesn't look like I just threw everything in it. This is the same approach as when I drove 18 wheelers. I took pride in my appearance and the inside/outside of the truck. 
In the end I hope that any further encounters will be of the positive nature. I'm staying in one of the most expensive areas outside Salt Lake City, one because this is where my school is and two, my stuff is safe at night. Actually, I almost never lock up...although I do have my EU2000 locked on the back with a cover. Anyway, just thought I would share this experience.
Matt

I'm glad to hear of an interaction with LEO that went well. Seems like the negative encounters are all anyone wants to talk about.

ha ha I would have locked you up for putting Armor All on the tires. just kidding glad it went well. highdesertranger

HDR,

Haha...yes, I know exactly what you're saying. Normally a no-no to do the Armorall thing but I want to blend in here as best I can. Well, "blending" probably is not the right word...I'm just doing what people do to their new Jeeps that have all the off-road accessories yet not a single scratch. Drives me nuts! Looking down the side of my van and you'll see there is permanent AZ pin stripping. 
But, in the mean time my tires shall stay shiny. LOL

I know a number of LEO's.  They have a few things in common.  They hate paperwork.  Someone who is open about their identity and intentions can get away with little things.  They love coffee, babies, and people that wave at them exposing all the fingers, not just one.  

Most of them went into law enforcement to help people.  Given a chance, they love being the good guy.

There are exceptions, but they are rapidly being weeded out.

Though I hear my parents' voices nagging teenaged me as I write this, appearances count a lot when dealing with the normal world.

upscale neighborhood is the first place to look for better toys. and they don't lock up.

I've had two interactions with police so far. One was in Manzanita, Oregon. I stayed overnight on the road right along the beach. That's something I wouldn't normally do but I figured "ahh, **** it, I'll see what happens". I woke up to a knocking on the van and "hello, Police" or something. I took a while to get out of the van and the guy seems to do this every morning. He said, very succinctly:
- It's illegal to camp in the city limits
- The people who live here call the cops on any vehicles parked here very early in the morning. They want me to ticket people but I have never done so.
- If you drive about a mile north on this road, you'll be outside the city limits and can park there

I'm currently in Carmel-By-The-Sea, California. It's a very nice and fancy tourist / rich people town. I've been parking at the beach during the days and in the downtown area at night. There are signs on all residential streets saying you need a permit to park overnight, but the signs downtown only say ~"2 hr parking 8am-6pm", so I've been parking there overnight. Usually I park on the smaller streets that get little traffic. Last night I was sort of innatentive or something and parked on the main street. AT 11pm, I got a knock and a "Police".. I got out and the guy says:
- It's illegal to camp here in Carmel. Were you not able to get a hotel, or....? (I said "yeah.. I'm just passing through and stopped to rest for a bit")
- You can go to [Describes a shopping center with Safeway, Starbucks, gas stations, and many other little stores] and we won't bother you there, you'll see some other vans and campers parked in there

So for me, so far, in these little towns that see a lot of vehicle-dwellers coming through, they notice you, and they come talk to you and tell you to move, but they have been nice and told me a nearby place where they're cool with me going.

In towns with less travelers, it seems people don't notice me or don't complain.

FALCON said:
...Carmel... shopping center with Safeway, Starbucks, gas stations, and many other little stores...

I'll have to remember that. 

Too bad I didn't know about it last week when I passed that way. I free spot would've been nice.

Trainchaser,

As far as why I don't lock up. I suppose I shouldn't say "I don't" because of course there are times I do. I grew up without locking things up. I like not locking things. But, at the same token I'm extremely aware of my surroundings and I base my decision on what I observe. I have 3 stages: leave truck/van unlocked with keys in ignition, take keys and leave vehicle unlocked, or lock and take keys. I've been traveling the country and other countries since I was 18. Its my way of life. Of course we all know things can happen...I have stories of things that have happen. But when I see someone pull up at a RedBox, get out, set their alarm, get their movie and get back in the car, I feel that is a bit ridiculous, but of course its all subjective and only my opinion. I would never tell some one to not lock up. People should do what ever they're comfortable with. I know only one other person like myself in this respect, and that is my best friend in Maryland. We grew up together. Anyway, I have no justification for it. I wouldn't even argue it. Someone could tell me that someday something will happen...I could say the same to anyone else...I guarantee that something will happen, somewhere, someday. LOL. Besides, I thrive on the unknown, I'm addicted to seeing what might happen. If I'm always cautious and safe I greatly reduce the chances of something happening. I want something to happen! My buddy in Maryland and I have this saying, its simple and goes like this, "what if something happens". Of course we're saying it facetiously, but so many people seem so scared of everything...especially the unknown. 
Oh, and as far as thieves targeting the nicer areas. Yes, I suppose to some extent, but I'd put money on it that crime where I am is significantly less than other areas. Besides, I'm driving a white, windowless cargo van...thieves aren't eyeing me because I don't have anything of real value with me.

This of course isn't directed to anyone in particular and Trainchaser I realize you were just asking a question so I hope this doesn't sound all "hoity-toighty".   :D