Paneling on doors - facing a dilemma

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexK90

Reaction score
I'm about to install the paneling in my van (probably this stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ply-Bead...ual-0-313-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-538281/100080170)  

I am still not sure what to do about my doors.  The door mechanisms in my van, especially the back doors, have a tendency to come loose and I keep having to reach inside and fix them.  If I permanently secure my paneling to the doors, I won't be able to access the interior of the locking mechanism. 
I don't like the idea of having to unscrew and re-screw every time something goes wrong, so I'm trying to think of ways I can cover the doors with paneling, but be able to access the interior of the door easily if I need to.  I don't want to have to replace the entire door locking thing - it's out of my expertise level, and time is of the essence.

So far I thought about using magnets, so that I could pop it on and off again but I'm not totally sold (especially since it seems like it might leave a gap, or come loose on the road).  Any other ideas out there?  For people who secured paneling to their doors, did you ever have to take it off again?
Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

The issue I see is having the interior handle over the panel. It wouldnt be a quick removal unless your inner door doesnt have latches...

An option that comes to mind... cut your panel to fit the door and cut an access opening in the panel. Use a hinge on the inside of the access cut that allows the cut portion to hinge open. Use a cabinet door magnet to keep it closed. Permanently attach the door panel for a clean look and enjoy.

MTNomad said:
The issue I see is having the interior handle over the panel. It wouldnt be a quick removal unless your inner door doesnt have latches...

An option that comes to mind... cut your panel to fit the door and cut an access opening in the panel. Use a hinge on the inside of the access cut that allows the cut portion to hinge open. Use a cabinet door magnet to keep it closed. Permanently attach the door panel for a clean look and enjoy.

That's a great idea!  I might just do that...thanks!

Can you fix the door latches so they don't come apart? Is it something loctite or nylock nuts can solve?

that's what I would do, fix the locks. you already know how to fix them when they come loose, so fix them so they don't come loose. highdesertranger

I used cabnet door magnets. The ones with a little metal plate on one side and magnets on the other. We glued them on with some super construction glue. Each corner and in center of bead board as well. It traveled fine (Vantucket pic are online). Some door panels i screwed on using self tapping lathe screws pretty and nautical looking with bead board. On those panels i made some hinged doors with chain (rope or wire like a gog run or bike lock kind would work as well) these doors flipped down to become tables. Good luck.

Keep it Simple,
Simply,
Lesa

SimplyLesa.blogspot.com
Facebook, Tapatalk, CheapRVLiving.com, G+,

I've seen door panels with velcro dots around the perimeter and on luan or 1/4" paneling.