Out of debt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shemp

Reaction score
Me and the Mrs got our "stimulus" money today.We are going to put a few hundred with it and pay off our car loan.That will be a load off our backs. A person in debt is not a free person.Some one or some bank owns you.The best advice I can give anyone is to avoid the debt trap.It is a never ending downward spiral that will destroy you in the end.I have mostly avoided it in my 75 years here,but sometimes I had to bite the bullet and kiss the kings ring.I will always fight tooth and nail against  debt and the Lords who would own us.Good luck.

What a great post... thanks for reminding us what a mess we can get in so easily. When my check comes I want to do the same.

we took our money and bought me a used car. my other car was a rust bucket and needing
brake job,etc so found one in excellent shape for $2,000. i have a lot of debt but have never
had a car payment thankfully. i agree that debt is the curse of humanity but it is very difficult
to get out of when you are member of the working-class and have little support (which makes
me thankful that i'm not totally impoverished and have a vehicle to get around at least!). the part
relevant to this site is the quest for nomad living and how impossible it would be for folks of limited
means when they are saddled with debt as well. i started a "van fund" close to 2 years ago and every
time i turn around a car needs repair or some "emergency" comes up. at least i am able to pay my
debts down and still have a job!
don't get me wrong, as i am thankful for the stimulus money but i hate that we have to continually
mortgage our children and grandchildren's future for our current needs. makes me wonder what kind
of life they will have and if they will ever get to live out their dreams...
jim

It's so simple..... spend less than you make and save some, but most people can't do it.

Get rid of all the credit cards and start paying the bills off.

Can't afford it.... don't buy it.

My grandparents lived through the depression and Dad was born in the middle of it. If only I was smart enough to listen to them. But I screwed up, just about ruined me, did ruin my marriage, Now no credit cards and paying no interest, Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty I'm free at last. Credit is slavery!

to Riverman,
easier said then done when you don't make much, but i agree with
the sentiment..

Funny as I have gotten older I don't seem to need as much. Having to pay huge amounts for health insurance was a major part of my expenses but now with social security and medicare that really isn't a problem. Tools and supplies to keep old cars on the road aren't as necessary as vehicles seem to last a lot longer and I don't run around as much. I think life in the US would be much improved for everyone if everyone could afford shelter, to have good health and be able to go where ever they needed to. Basically it shouldn't be so hard in a country that is as prosperous as our country is but living simply sure helps.

I'm on SS so I probably have way less than you, but I watch it closely.

This virus has caused us to shelter in place and food costs have gone up but I have only had car insurance which I understand they are charging less as nobody is driving much and phone bills so life is good so far especially if I start catching a few more fish! Hope all goes well for you.

Latest posts