One Awesome Inch - Van Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Step-well storage. I plan to place movable storage drawers over it which will allow access when needed.  Hopefully they cover the red tape. 
20150309_192455_zps9garjc8z.jpg

20150309_210516_zps7ilxnjfp.jpg

Almost finished the walls in terms of insulation. I still need to do a small area behind the driver side wheel well near the rear doors. Also, the passenger side wheel well cover needs fixing. Other than that the walls are done. Next step is the furring strips for the ceiling insulation.

I gotta say this whole process is taking hours upon hours. I have a couple weeks off and have been managing to spend 3 to 5 hours a time. Progress is slow but steady.

I took this pic while parked in my condo's visitor parking. I finished cleaning up but I didnt want to empty everything out as I dont want to attract any undue attention at this location as I intend to stay here once a week once I start full-timing.

20150314_160532_zpsoim8zebt.jpg

Got the first section of the ceiling done. 2 inches of rigid foamboard, then thick plastic sheet, then luan plywood. Since this is a one man operation it seems that doing one section at a time is the best way to go.

In these pics you can see open spaces where the furring strips are attached. I originally had foam insulation filling those gaps but after reading a thread here about condensation, I decided to leave them open to create more air movement. This will *hopefully* decrease the likelihood of moisture problems.

20150320_230320_zpsatdmvfuf.jpg

20150320_231120_zps0o2or4jf.jpg

One question I have is that the plastic sheet comes doubled over so that you are actually using two layers off the roll. Should I use two layers everywhere or can I get away with just one? Cost me about $30 for the roll I'd like to avoid buying a second roll if I can. Thoughts?

UNless it is a very thin mill, I would just use one layer.

I think you've got the perfect solution for the condensation/moisture!
Bob

Thanks Bob. Its heavy duty plastic sheeting so yeah I guess I'll do one layer... maybe two for the ceiling.

OAI

Have the LED panels made it up there yet? It's been over a week but I don't know how long it takes in customs.

Yeah, I meant to pm you... they just came in yesterday. Thanks so much again for your generosity. They will definitely be put to good use. Once the van is built I'll be finding a home for these. I'll do my best to pay forward your generosity.

I enjoy your videos, can't believe you got one with no rain. I am sure you tire of it, but I love the sound of the raindrops on your van! Looks like you will be very well insulated with the stack of foam boards! Happy peaceful today!! And keep the videos coming!! :)

Thanks so much Sister Earth! I definitely appreciate the support.

My latest van build vid is up here:

I agree. I haven't watched a video on it. I prefer pics but that's me. Easier to refer back to and uses less data.