$400 Van Renovation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarmeCoolidge

Reaction score
I've finished my modifications to the pre-built van I bought a couple of years ago. I want to use the space better, the cabinets it came with hold some stuff tidily, but they left a large amount of space unused and unusable since I can't stand up or even set up a decent sized table in there. I planned on building and installing an L desk. My goal was to have a purpose built space for the things I couldn't or didn't want to do outside. This includes sleeping, office work, and entertainment media (shows, movies, games). I have a large quick set clam shelter that I can use for doing the housework and hanging with friends.

At the end of the day, the van renovation only cost $400. Here's the breakdown:

$100 for a large (4'x8') piece of 3/4" plywood.
$20 for five 1.5"x3" (bit smaller 2x4)
$220 for two of the same mini-fridge
$60 for stain, screws, blades, etc

We removed and donated the cabinets to a local housing charity, cut the wood to size, stained Minmax Special Walnut 224 color (2-3 coats), and some wipe on poly from Minmax as well (2-3 coats). Afterwards, we installed and noticed a slight wobble from side to side. We installed an L bracket on one of the desk corners and now it's ROCK SOLID, very satisfying!

The fridges we used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-1-6-cu-ft-Mini-Fridge-in-Black-EFR100-BLACK/305520527
I accidentally published this while writing. I don't have pictures yet so I'll post them when I take them tomorrow.

Last edited: