One Awesome Inch - Van Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use white because it makes any mosquitoes etc REAL easy to find !

Wow, that is some really nice work!

You don't think you will miss having any windows? I don't need a lot, but I do need some!
Bob

Looks good. I'm planning to paint my inner walls white as well

Regarding windows, I'll have two. You can see the cut out for the driver side window. When I build the door its going to have a window in it so that I can get the light from the van's other rear window. I am going to stick some removable thick foam, like couch cushion foam, in each one at night or when its really cold.

I'm also going to put in a Fantastic Fan with its roof vent in the summer. Not only will I get the excellent fan, but I'll also enjoy the added light it provides.

Pic update!

I just put that black sterilite drawer unit in tonite. I have more work to do on the kitchen and I also need to build the bed. Then I'm pretty much ready to move in. I'll finish up the rest while I'm living in it... which is only about 2 or 3 weeks away.

20150615_220942_zpsikigyrem.jpg

20150615_221006_zpsj6lrfzec.jpg

20150615_221026_zpsne1mtdde.jpg

I've been inspired by your water setup (along with anm's 2005 Astro build) and I'm thinking of making my water setup simple like yours. The space constraints get tricky when I'm looking at where to store a fresh water tank, how to access it, where/how to run a water line from the tank to a faucet, etc.. I think I'm going to just build things simple at first and if I want make them more complex later, I can. (along the lines of how you're using the bowl for a small sink and if you want a bigger one later, you can do put it in...)

Yeah, I think thats a good plan. Start simple and expand on things later if necessary or desired.

However, I will say that the disadvantage of having the water like that is that when one needs to fill it up and place it back on that shelf, its going to be about 50LBS. I'm fairly fit and strong now but I wont want to be lifting that kind of weight in there when I'm older. Also, since I decided on this design I have now decided to put a 100w solar panel on... which means I can have a pump. With a pump I could keep the water container on the ground.

However, as mentioned changes can always be made if required.

What I'm currently considering is to use one container for daily dispensing of water. That container will go in/in the kitchen area. It will be smaller - like 1-2 gallons. Then I'll have other water container(s) for storing more. It may be annoying to transfer water from the other containers to the one in the kitchen regularly, but this will keep the space that the kitchen water container occupies pretty small. I can also avoid having any single container that will be especially heavy.

I'm thinking something like these for the "kitchen container":

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Fridge..._sim_79_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ANWAV9SJEQ6YZ1ABFN9

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Slimli..._sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NF1307DKAY1307CCJMY

http://www.amazon.com/New-Wave-Envi...sim_79_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FA4W73Z7WDCWR792S3E

And something like these for the extra water:

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod...sim_468_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Z6W5G5X237C0QBZYKFW

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod...sim_468_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GH7Q3DQXZ057TMB7Z3J

FALCON said:
What I'm currently considering is to use one container for daily dispensing of water. That container will go in/in the kitchen area. It will be smaller - like 1-2 gallons. Then I'll have other water container(s) for storing more. It may be annoying to transfer water from the other containers to the one in the kitchen regularly, but this will keep the space that the kitchen water container occupies pretty small. I can also avoid having any single container that will be especially heavy.

I'm thinking something like these for the "kitchen container":

When I look at these, and what OAInch did I think the same thing, that I can't stand them up. I've learned to be nervous about water containers that won't stay w/ the opening at the top when I'm moving. ;)

Van Build Video 15 - Sliding doors finished, progress on window covering and countertop.

As I mentioned on the channel, looking good. Are you still planning to be in it fulltime by next week?

Yeah, I move in this Friday. Hoping to get the bed in (a must) and roof vent in before then. The rest I'll have to finish when I'm in there.

I hope the move in goes without a hitch. Congrats on the milestone. Thanks for sharing your build and journey.

Its obvious you are good people, 4GNomad. Thanks so much for the kind words.

I got the roof vent in today, in the early afternoon. Now, I'm about to have dinner, then tonite I'll seal her up.

After that I am going to do a major clean up and remove all the construction materials and wipe everything down.

My ex-wife just informed me that if I have a shower while looking after my kids at her place, I have to bring my own towel. I'll be paying $760 a month to her in child support, but I guess washing that towel is just asking too much from her. Par for the course, I suppose.

Fantastic Fan installation video using Eternabond

As I was parking the van today to start on my bed, the final "must have" project, I slammed the door on my finger. The laceration is pretty bad and I cannot use the index finger on my dominant hand. This means I cannot build the bed. Hopefully, the ex-wife will let me reside where I am for a few more days.

Bummer!

Latest posts