Once upon a time I had a bigger spirit of adventure!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
A while back there was a post asking "how many rv's have you had"?  So I started my list and I counted every thing rolling or not that I had either slept in or traveled & lived in that was not your standard housing.  From the 18ft Sioux style tipi to the 35ft park model T.T.  This list covered 36yrs. of my life.      As i made the list I realized one of the main factors/reasons that i'm always more happy going down the road...any road...I am a born nomad!!!  Often when i'm upset or "antsy" i'll tell my dog "Queenie let's go" and she is ready and off we go!      I have seen it said more than once in these forums and on Bob's blog that Van Dwelling is a state of mind as well as what you drive or live in.  I was so excited to find you guys and i've learned a lot of really neat stuff.   I thought just look at all these folk who fix up their cars and vans and pickups to suit themselves and live like they want to and not like some in society dictates they should.       Man oh Man I was all over the internet, the newspapers and the car & truck sales books that you find at stores an truck stops.    As i looked at prices and read posts about various mechanical issues I came to the conclusion that i'd stick with my 23yr old Ranger 4x4, better the devil I know than the one I don't.      Then I started paying closer attention to the price of cargo trailers and what solar and heat and fans and lights and a 12v frig. for food and insulin would cost.....overwhelmed is putting it mildly! :huh:    However i'm not defeated nor am I giving up.  One of  Papa's ways of encouraging us to solve our problems was to say "there is always more than one way to skin a cat"...how gross I thought as a child.  As I grew older I realized he meant us to look for more than one way to solve a problem.  I think I may have found a way to become mobile quicker and and at a lower cost for shelter/WITH WHEELS   :D   In the wee hours of the morning I found  a web site I had visited  several months ago about the same time I found Bob's Blog about how he built his truck camper.  Google,   Gypsy Images   if you check out the various links to different builds you even find one guy who "started" out with a small cargo trailer and took something i think he called it a Tiger Saw?..and cut off the "box" and built a bigger "vargo"[gypsy wagon] after extending the frame   At the link  A Vardo For Two   the link is about two people that are allergic to chemicals and pollution in the air and how they built their vardo. I think they are in Washington state.     The thing that really caught my attention was just like vehicle and cargo trailer conversions there are all types & costs, from the very modest to what i call mega bucks and they can be very light weight. some are pop ups, and some built on many types of frames..even a few pick up campers.   Some are built road worthy and some to be more stationary.  Some of the links seem to be no longer available but most were still up and running.    I have probably posted this in the wrong spot   so if you're a moderator feel free to move it.       Now then Queenie and I "have a cat to skin"...... sortin' & sellin' extra stuff and we hope the light at the end of the tunnel ain't a train :huh:   ..... peace to one and all..... :)  TJB & QUEENIE

I've also been living my life on many sets of wheels for 35 + years and that's not counting another 10 or so with just a bicycle and a tent.
No regrets at all...just ignored what all my friends and family said and just did it anyway.
"keep on truckin' keep on truckin' keep on truckin' till the cow's come home"

I never had a Spirit of Adventure, but I had a 4 door Lincoln Town Car that was as big as all outdoors!  :p

4 people could fit in that trunk without touching!  (MOM!  Make her stop not touching me!)  ;)

Vans, station wagons, TT's, and a pickup truck and a cat named Kalamazoo~~~

I just got older, I never grew up!

:)  It's been 1yr since I first posted this thread.  Many things in my life have changed and some haven't.  

I think I'm begining to get my "Spirit of Adventure" back.  At least I hope so.  Much of the credit for this goes to Bob Wells and all you other folks here.  I'm encouraged by seeing how others deal with and overcome adversity in their lives.  This helps me face and deal with the bumps in my life while I'm trying to determine if and at what level a nomadic lifestyle is for me.  

The willingness of members of this group to help others is fantastic.
 I love the wide variety and wonderful individual style of all the rigs.  My mind  bogles bogles bogles bogles...whoops :D hit a bump.  And all the things we can do and places to go and people to meet.  Oh My!

I'm not forgeting those folks who don't have wheels under their homes 24/7, and I'm one of those.  I like that Vandwelling can be a state of mind as well as a state of being nomadic.

So Thanks......I'm Done Now

Jewellann

Hi Jewellann,
I'd say you've done really good in the last year towards reaching your goals of having some mobility. It's awesome being able to follow along on so many people's lives and watching them transform from stationary to mobile and then as a bonus getting to watch the build threads. I'm going to start your cabinets this week, glad I can help you out in a small way.

Since we're talking about wheels, and i've always loved wheels, I'm going to see if I can remember every vehicle i've owned in the order I got them from 16 to 36. This just includes the one's ive registered and driven. Probably another 20 that I bought and resold.

86 Buick Park Ave
82 Chevy Camaro
1984 Ford Ranger with 6" lift
97 Isuzu Hombre
97 Ford Ranger 4x4 reg cab 5sp (one of my favorites)
00 Dodge Dakota 4x4
97 Ford Mustang
00 Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle
04 Ford F150 4x4 (My first new vehicle)
92 Chevy Camaro Convertible
06 Chevy 4500 12' Box truck
99 Jeep Cherokee sport
00 Chevy S10 4x4
97 Honda Civic
02 Ford Contour
00 Ford Ranger ext cab 4x4
97 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
06 Harley Sportster 1200 (Rode it from Boston to Austin and back)
00 Jeep Cherokee sport with plow
03 Chevy Express 2500 (did 37 of the lower 48 in it, plus Nova Scotia)
10 Jeep Wrangler Sport (2nd brand new vehicle) (Did a cross country trip and two of the eastern seaboard)
12 Jeep Patriot 4x4 (3rd new vehicle)
2013 Chevy Silverado (My 4th new vehicle and current truck of 4 years, which is my record for how long i've kept a vehicle!)

I've also had a
2008 Forest River Hybrid 21' travel trailer
2006 Caribou Outfitter Pop up slide in truck camper
2004 Forest River 27' travel trailer

and at least a half a dozen boats.

So in 20 years that's 21 cars, two motorcycles, 3 campers and 6 or so boats. I may have issues?!