North East Gatherings?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
michaelwnoakes said:
When people hear NY, they think of city; there is an entirely different world 80 miles north of NYC. I came from the Midwest in 2001 and would never go back. The Catskill Mountains run nicely into the Adirondacks all the way to the Canadian border. The people in Upper State NY are accepting and very pleasant. If you are a hiker, fishermen, etc. it is Heaven. The AT runs right through the state and finishes in Maine. As for crime most people don't lock there car or house. I have never been hassled camping either. My only complaint is having to go somewhere else in winter; cold is an understatement.

Yes, the Adirondacks can get a wee bit "chilly"!

Firebuild said:
I have a friend with a chunk of land in rural New York.. .maybe I will pose this question to him. 

The only national park out this way I know of is Acadia in Maine.

The new Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument is open now, with limited camping areas open.  Several are accessible only by long hike or by water which can be a big limitation on the idea of a gathering.  The couple places available to vehicles were on pretty sketchy roads last time I was up there but with drier weather that should improve some. Campfires limited. No facilities of any sort available, all pack-in pack-out. No dispersed camping. No fees. Free permit required: Northern Regional Office of the Maine Fire Service (207 435-7963) or at their office in Ashland, ME.

I usually have a small gathering in May and October (I call it NEVR North East Vandweller Rendezvous). Didn't happen this May due to family obligations but am thinking of having it later in the summer and skipping October. Maybe mid to late July? August? I can fit about 7 vans but can squeeze in more if interest is there. Who would be available that time of summer?

I'm interested. Located in long island ny

Hi Jenuine- Long Island girl here....Maybe we can do a gathering at the Old Bethpage campground....lots of land there. Long Island is a good place for those in NYC, LI, lower upstate NY and even northern Jersey. What do you think?

I'm leaving towards the end of the week to spend two weeks traveling around the Adirondacks and Catskill mountains in NY.
I got a non resident NY fishing license so I will be doing a lot of bass and trout fishing.
I have my dog so I try to park next to the river or lake so I can still see my van. plus I keep the side double doors open and tie her with a longer leash so she can't follow me.
anyone is welcome to meet me and do some relaxing fishing, I always have an extra rod.

Im in Massachusetts now at the van nationals. When I leave here I think Im going to New Hampshire to old cherry mountain road. It's a place I found on freecampsites. Idk anything about it but that's my plan for now. Im heading for Maine and I would love to check out the adirondacks on the way back.

becida said:
. . . NY has a reputation. Boondocking-dispersed camping is not part of that reputation.
Umm, what kind of reputation... and where?  Along NY's mostly undeveloped shoreline on Lake Champlain, looking across to Vermont?  The small towns dotting the coasts of the St. Lawrence River, Lake Ontario, and Lake Erie?  Along the NY state-Quebec province border? The Finger Lakes region with its deep rocky gorges and vineyards?  The thick forests and pristine lakes in the Adirondacks?  The Catskills, famous for rock-climbing?  Or their ski resorts? Saranac Lake?  Lake Placid, Lake George?  Oneida Lake and its islands with two state parks?   How about the rolling mountains near Howe Caverns? NY's nearly 200k acres of Wildlife Management Areas?Or its 90 miles of Appalachian Trail, which winds its way through five state parks, with campgrounds nearby?

Oops, maybe you were only thinking of New York City??

New York's a big state - break out a map and check it out! There are lots of wild areas and campgrounds, and there certainly are many many campers, hikers, skiiers, and boaters who avail themselves of the nature here!

CityWoman said:
Umm, what kind of reputation... and where?  

You missed the part where I said I was from the west .... We are talking about boondocking and dispersed camping aren't we?

Here are just a few National Parks.

https://www.dk.com/uk/article/travel-top-10-national-parks-on-the-east-coast/

I know Rhode Island has some fantastic State Parks as well as local campgrounds.

http://riparks.com/FindALocation.html

RI Campgrounds

https://newengland.com/today/travel/rhode-island/best-rhode-island-campgrounds/

^ I personally stayed at Melville ponds all summer 2016.

I cannot recommend Burlingame anymore because it has unfortunately become the permanent home of many homeless people. I know from personal experience that many of those are rowdy, alcohol fueled ruffians with questionable intentions.

And there is also the Appalachian trail up here...