No Van I Guess

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woltz

Reaction score
Second time posting this because I exited out the last time I tried. No van but a truck is a most definitely. Which means I need to downsize a lot. The family is going to do everything they can to make it so I don't get a Cargo Van. Don't ask please. But the truck is going to happen. They have no idea I plan on making it livable as well. Below is a list of things I plan on doing to it.
I plan on making a wooden topper so that the back wheel have weight and the entire thing looks pretty. Looks are still important to me. I will probably take the trunk door off and attach the topper on so that I can have doors which swing open like normal doors. So I don't have to fold everything down to get in it.

I plan on having a single 208 Watt Solar Panel on the roof that powers a Apex APX12-260 12v 260ah Group 8D AGM Battery to power everything I need. Which looking at the revised list, is maybe 5-6 things. The heaviest piece of power being either the tv, rice cooker, or induction cooker.

For leisure times I plan on having a TV that folds down from the top. Because this topper is going to be homemade there's going to be a 2" gap which I will be covering anyway in the ceiling to make look pretty. When I cover that I plan on putting the TV up there and hope that when it's away, it'll look like a flat ceiling piece. I will also have a laptop which can hook to it with HDMI and a Etekcity® 300Mbps USB Wireless WIFI Network LAN Card Adapter 802.11 n/g/b 1000mW for internet. (Whatever that is)

A moped rack will be put on the back for moped transportation as well as bicycle transportation possibly. A rice cooker and a induction cook top will work as the cooking. One or Two 5 gallon water containers will be what I use for water with a hose nearby that I can use for refilling.

My biggest problem is the bed. I NEED a bed I can sleep on and get a good nights rest. I was originally going to use a twin XL but I think laying down, the twin would take up everything which I can't have. Is there anyway I can have a actual mattress but make it rather small? Any help would be, well, helpful.

P.S. This is the truck topper I want to make, but instead of fiberglass, I want it out of wood. And no giant glass door, just a normal door.
phpgYWJSF.jpg

My immediate reaction after reading your post was, "If ever there was a guy who needed to pull a modified cargo trailer behind his truck, ..."

Lots of videos on YouTube showing what people have done with their cargo trailers. Very impressive actually. Had I not chosen a box truck, it would have been a pickup truck and cargo trailer for me.   Believe it or not, I still might get a cargo trailer.

Tom

you can get a regular mattress made to any specification, but they are pricey. better just to get foam cut to your specs, imo. highdesertranger

A single 208 watt panel will not provide enough power to keep that expensive battery from suffering an earlly demise with the induction & rice cookers. If you use the alternator to bulk charge, cook while driving and drive nearly every day it could possibly be done. If you can find 12v induction and rice cookers you could avoid the power loss of using an inverter. Cooking with aluminum foil packets on the engine while driving would be even more efficient.

I have seen a number of 2x2 and plywood camper shells over the years. Some have been pretty nice. I have helped a couple of friends build them. One was basic and the other was fairly creative. The ones that ended up lasting a while had the ply covered over with fiberglass and resin.

29chico said:
A single 208 watt panel will not provide enough power to keep that expensive battery from suffering an earlly demise with the induction & rice cookers.  If you use the alternator to bulk charge, cook while driving and drive nearly every day it could possibly be done.  If you can find 12v induction and rice cookers you could avoid the power loss of using an inverter.  Cooking with aluminum foil packets on the engine while driving would be even more efficient.

I have seen a number of 2x2 and plywood camper shells over the years.  Some have been pretty nice.  I have helped a couple of friends build them. One was basic and the other was fairly creative.  The ones that ended up lasting a while had the ply covered over with fiberglass and resin.

If I can find bigger for the affordable price, I might travel for it, but not going to spend what I don't have.

(My immediate reaction after reading your post was, "If ever there was a guy who needed to pull a modified cargo trailer behind his truck, ..." )

Apartment doesn't allow trailers here.

Woltz said:
I plan on having a single 208 Watt Solar Panel on the roof that powers a Apex APX12-260 12v 260ah Group 8D AGM Battery to power everything I need. Which looking at the revised list, is maybe 5-6 things. The heaviest piece of power being either the tv, rice cooker, or induction cooker.

130ah of useable power from the battery (50%) and you want to use electricity for cooking. That's not a lot of power... I'm a big fan of propane or butane for cooking but that's me. 
There is a dual fuel (propane/butane) stove that I like... GAS ONE NEW GS-3400P Dual Fuel Portable Propane & Butane, it's on Amazon.

Glen on the blog "To Simplify"  http://www.tosimplify.net/?m=1 had an induction plate for cooking, I think he took it out.  Might be worth your time to do a little research there.

You can get a thingee & the software that will allow your laptop to be a TV, that and an antenna has done well by me for broadcast tv in a LOT of places. As a plus you can power the laptop with DC power, just need the right adapter.

I've had some great sleeping on one of those inflatable mattresses you get for cheap from Walmart, it did the trick until I could afford something better.

Good luck & see you out there maybe.....

becida said:
130ah of useable power from the battery (50%) and you want to use electricity for cooking. That's not a lot of power... I'm a big fan of propane or butane for cooking but that's me. 
There is a dual fuel (propane/butane) stove that I like... GAS ONE NEW GS-3400P Dual Fuel Portable Propane & Butane, it's on Amazon.

Glen on the blog "To Simplify"  http://www.tosimplify.net/?m=1 had an induction plate for cooking, I think he took it out.  Might be worth your time to do a little research there.

You can get a thingee & the software that will allow your laptop to be a TV, that and an antenna has done well by me for broadcast tv in a LOT of places. As a plus you can power the laptop with DC power, just need the right adapter.

I've had some great sleeping on one of those inflatable mattresses you get for cheap from Walmart, it did the trick until I could afford something better.

Good luck & see you out there maybe.....

Don't have time to read all that, but read some. The main reason I don't have propane options is because I know nothing about the fuel consumption that comes from propane. If it's not a lot I'd go with the Gladiator™ Series FyreChampion™ 3-IN-1 Propane Stove from Coleman. But I don't know how much fuel is spent. Would either use a 20 or 40lb container of propane.

"The family is going to do everything they can to make it so I don't get a Cargo Van. Don't ask please. But the truck is going to happen. They have no idea I plan on making it livable as well. Below is a list of things I plan on doing to it."

Say What???? ^^^^

I assume you're an adult?
Responsible?
Of sound mind?
Have your own money?
Able to live independantly?

If Yes, go buy whatever it is that you want and can afford.
If no, well then....... make some life changes or accept and embrace their willingness to care for you.

Anyway, Why should they force you into a truck pickup bed?!?
Stand up like a grown up and get what you want, something big enough for you to exist and travel in comfortably. Something that you can fit a bed in and have room to make food, spend a rainy day, etc in.

Dave

We have the tiniest little rice cooker, about the size of three coke cans.  You can put in 1 cup of uncooked rice max, but that is enough for two people with beans or meat or sides.  It uses 200 watts and makes the rice in about 20 to 25 minutes.  So under 100 watt-hr.   We make solar rice with it all the time.

I have a bed rug bed liner in my truck, it's covered closed-cell foam.  
The best part is it fills the recesses and levels the truck bed at the same time it presents a comfortable surface to lay on.
Just an idea that may help you get closer to your goal of sleeping well.

Cheers!
Jim

IGBT said:
We have the tiniest little rice cooker, about the size of three coke cans.  ...

Sounds useful. Brand and model info?

Tom

Look on the website for North American Mattress. They have truck bunk mattresses, RV mattresses, etc. They have a good variety of sizes and degrees of quality. Not necessarily cheap though.

29chico said:
A single 208 watt panel will not provide enough power to keep that expensive battery from suffering an earlly demise with the induction & rice cookers. If you use the alternator to bulk charge, cook while driving and drive nearly every day it could possibly be done. If you can find 12v induction and rice cookers you could avoid the power loss of using an inverter. Cooking with aluminum foil packets on the engine while driving would be even more efficient.

Here is a 12 volt rice cooker review
Bought from AliExpress

http://macaloney.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/12-volt-rice-cooker-for-prius-campervan.html?m=1

Brent