New Skoolie project from SE Oklahoma

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elijah

Reaction score
Hello All;

Well I am wanting to meet you all at the up coming RTR. Hope I can make it but right now I am putting the Cummins back together. My 2002 Thomas Shorty was an Auction find that I had been wanting for a very long time and even though it had mechanical issues it just Fit if you know what I mean.

Well I just got the cylinder head back together and ready for install. I think that I can get it done in time and still be able to take my time and do it right. Might not look like much on the inside for now, but that will happen in due time.

I have enjoyed traveling around with some of the members and thank you for inviting us along. Looking forward to making a personal appearance.
Safe Travel,
Elijah

[img=121x150]http://www.skoolie.net/attachments/customprofilepics/profilepic19429_1.gif[/img]

[img=600x300]http://www.skoolie.net/forums/members/19429-albums1306-picture17005.jpg[/img]

Welcome Elijah to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. nice bus. see you at RTR. highdesertranger

[quote pid='348156' dateline='1510530719']
Hello Elijah and welcome to the group. Jeanne and I are from Bartlesville (north of Tulsa) originally now in NW Florida.  My boss thinks I'm making up words when I name places like Kiamichi, Pottawatomie, Pushmataha  :)   Your schoolie looks like fun. Take your time and enjoy the ride. 

John & Jeanne
[/quote]

:) I know what you mean John. Seems strange that the Native tongue sounds so foreign.

Welcome, Elijah!

Love your skoolie-- that's some seriously high clearance you've got there! And those tires! You should have no problem going through swales with that rig, once it's fully roadworthy....Nice amount of space inside, seems like....

Looking forward to seeing how your build continues....

Looks like a fun project. If you've got the DMV registration and insurance sorted out the rest is easy.

That's a great looking rig! Sometimes I think they choose us instead of us choosing them I think that's True Of you!

FlowerGirl said:
Welcome, Elijah!

Thank you for the kind words and the warm welcome FlowerGirl;

Very observant about my Skoolie project. The ground clearance was one of the primary reasons I chose this platform, not just any Bus would do. It had to be of a Semi Chassis, a conventional for ease of Maintenance, a high top because I am 6'3" myself. The tires are large as you have noticed and they are common Semi size which should be easily found and reasonably priced should I need to replace them. I also chose this Freightliner Chassis built Thomas FS-65 because it comes with a 5.9 Cummins Diesel which is also a very common platform found in all 3/4 - 1 Ton Dodge Rams making parts easily found as well as being reasonably priced.

I am almost done with the mechanical repairs and and if everything proves to be roadworthy, I hope to get thing going on the interior soon. Maybe then I can post more pictures.

LoupGarou said:
Looks like a fun project. If you've got the DMV registration and insurance sorted out the rest is easy.

Thank you Mr LoupGarou;

Glad you like it. Being from Oklahoma, I don't expect many issues with our DMV, we are allowed to drive school buses without painting or removing the "School Bus" letters. All that is required is to remove all District numbers and identification labels on the exterior. I really don't know yet as I want to make sure I can get it repaired mechanically before I take that step.

akrvbob said:
That's a great looking rig! Sometimes I think they choose us instead of us choosing them I think that's True Of you!

LOL I think you're right about that Mr Bob;

I had been thinking of a Van Truck, but them being so boxy and hard to get in and out of, no access to the front, all had me thinking it just might not be the best fit for me. I was looking at the LMTV which was 4x4 tough, has Tire inflation but was just too big and slow.
LMTV - Youtube

I thought of a StepVan like those UPS drives but they were too low for what I want to do. 

But as you say when I saw this Skoolie it just fit :) I knew at first sight it was the rig for me and it having a 5.9 Cummins was just another "+" added on.

By the way Mr Bob we have much in common with Alaska, I lived up there for many years on the Kenai Peninsula where I worked Off Shore / the Tesoso Alaska Refinery, raised four Children and did a lot of Fishing.

Hi Elijah, I am brand new to the forum myself.  Good luck with your Schoolie.  Sounds like you know alot about those buses.  I hope you make it to the RTR.

Latest posts