New, researching, planning retirement

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krebsne1970

Reaction score
50 year old, looking to retire sooner rather than later.  Found Bob’s videos on YouTube and want to learn more.

Right now I am leaning toward a truck camper on a Toyota Tacoma.  I know I don’t like to tow, I don’t want to be huge, I’d like to be able to set my “house” down and for periods of time and be able to drive around to enjoy local attractions, etc.

But I know very little about it.  Tons of questions.  Oh the other reason I like the truck camper is that one could upgrade (or just swap out for other reasons) either the truck or the camper independently.  Heck one could even do this with a leased vehicle.

I have always had bad luck with used vehicles and I lease now because it really makes my transportation costs consistent and predictible.  When I see videos where Bob recommends a $3000 van my heart leaps to my throat and I just see $10,000 repair bills in the next 24 months.  LOL

Gonna be searching the forums and asking questions.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome Krebsne to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Check the lease agreement. Many limit the mileage and do not allow the vehicle to leave the USA. When I retire, I plan to travel far and through many states and Canada.

Great point!  I had not even considered that a lease might restrict you to the US.  Yes I would also like to go to Canada for sure.  Great info.

Krebsne……..we think a lot alike. I wanted to do a van rebuild, but like you I don't like buying used cars. A new van was around $33,000 and outfitting it would run around $4,000-5,000. So I compromised and bought an aliner. It's very light weight, around 2,000 lbs and it folds flat so easy to tow. I have no experience with towing and backing into camping spots makes me nervous. The van would have given me the ability to drive and park just like my truck.

Like you I am looking at driving all over the US but not Canada. So I am setting funds aside for the next two years to travel extensively throughout the US. If it were totally up to me, and since I am married it's not, I would like to spend the first 5 years of my retirement visiting every state in the US and stay about a month in each state. Taking the time to drop the camper and visit all the sites around the area.

My van cost $20K and I built it out for $750. Check the fleet sales for cargo vans still under warranty. Not sure if the same fleet sales exist for trucks.  -crofter

Yeah, looking at more stuff today I am thinking about a van.  There is the mobility thing... climbing in and up into a truck bed camper as you get older.

Building something out won’t be a big deal for me.  I have a pop up camper that got hit by a falling tree.  It’s no longer functional as a camper but I have all the appliances I would need- AC, furnace, stove, etc.  I can cannibalize the camper and outfit a van very cheaply...

A fleet thing still under warranty is a brilliant suggestion...

Slim potatohead builds out a shower and toilet (cassette?) In his A-Liner.  -crofter

Description: Part A of a two part video on A-Liner build out. Slim potatohead is THE authority on A-Liner travel in Oregon.

Here is Part B of two part video on A-Liner build out by Slim potatohead.

And here is the Q & A.

What is the consensus regarding gas v diesel?  The idea of a vehicle that can do 500k miles is super exciting.  But it seems the repairs and oil changes on a diesel are so much more expensive its still not worth it?

I sold the 4X4 pickup (gas) after 200k miles, wanted more convenience and to be able to stand up in it. Some do love their trucks though, and even stealth camp in them.   -crofter

Warning about Lance big campers with slide out.  The slide side weighs much more. My daughter's first set of in-laws bought new truck and camper and it was so off balance the truck was damaged. Maybe the problem is fixed now that was 2001.

Krebsne1970 said:
What is the consensus regarding gas v diesel?  The idea of a vehicle that can do 500k miles is super exciting.  But it seems the repairs and oil changes on a diesel are so much more expensive its still not worth it?

In my opinion it depends on the weight you want to tow or put on top. Diesel engines are more reliable, tow more weight, and get better gas mileage under heavy loads. Gas engines are cheaper, lighter, and may get better gas mileage unloaded.

When I bought my diesel pickup, I also bought a 3 year oil change plan (for about $1000), and also a powertrain warranty (that wasn't cheap. It's baked into a monthly payment.). I don't know if I'll break even on what I paid for the warranties, but it does keep me from having to come up with any oil change or repair money for the first 3 years.

Dry weight on my fifth wheel is 11,000 pounds. Tow capacity on my truck is about 13,000. There's no way I could tow that safely with a gas engine. The same goes for most truck campers. The payload capacity of a gas vehicle probably isn't enough for a truck camper, with the exception of maybe a pop-up with not too much stuff in it.

But again, if you're not towing or hauling, a diesel probably isn't worth it. IMO.

Latest posts