Contingency Plans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopperK

Reaction score
Hello - CopperK here (I'm a copper artist) and currently living in my art studio - it's cheap, it's easy, utilities paid for and everything is so close I only fill my gas tank once a month, if that. BUT, will I be able to stay here? That's a big question if political things get weird and let's face it, that's an unknown and a good possibility. I'm conflicted - with rising gas prices and having to reorganize my life and get a rig together what is my best plan? With food shortages predicted, and all sorts of new laws and regulations is staying put or being able to move about the best option? I'm trying to figure that out now. I've been aware of Bob's channel and forums for a long time. I know some folks living this lifestyle. I'm also concerned that if the political and financial climate changes, which is also predicted, will I be able to find or finance a vehicle if the times comes that being mobile is the best option? Honestly, I'm still confused and realize that there is no clear path forward at the moment. I know that community would be better if I were mobile and that is a huge "pro" in favor of going mobile. Looking forward to connect with people here.

Hello - CopperK here (I'm a copper artist) and currently living in my art studio - it's cheap, it's easy, utilities paid for and everything is so close I only fill my gas tank once a month, if that. BUT, will I be able to stay here?
Sounds like a nice setup. What do you expect to happen so you'd have to leave?

Would a vehicle be roomy enough to accommodate your equipment?

Food shortages, added laws,etc. are just as likely to affect you on the road as in your present digs. Or is there something unique to NC that may harm you more than if you were on the road?

BTW: One of the forum rules is to avoid political discussions, so there's that.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Could be a variety of reasons one has to leave a place - price increases, changes in the community, change of circumstance etc. I didn't exactly discuss politics, did I? I just said there could be political reasons without stating what that might be - states and cities are different from one another and everyone has their preferences. A city could change in a way to please one person and displease another. Food shortages isn't political, it's a situation that we may all have to deal with given the news and the "just in time" retail method of stocking inventory (2020 proved that shortages can happen very easily). In a set location or with a storage unit there is more space to store food. I've always done this - one never knows if some change of situation, such a illness, might prevent one from earning as much so having extra food stores is simply practical. I would think that living in a vehicle or RV would make food storage difficult. Actually, I know it does because I lived in a vintage Airstream for over 2 years.

Space - I've worked pretty hard to consolidate space and refine my method -I don't need a lot of equipment, although storage of final works is always an issue, unless it's copper jewelry. I like to work on large pieces, but I don't have to if circumstance dictates that I can't.

Gas prices have gone up and so gas vs. diesel and the type of vehicle is a real consideration in the planning phase. I really would like to take off and travel and live this lifestyle and have been thinking about it for awhile. I had a corporate job in the health food industry that I wanted to keep awhile longer and that has concluded, so van living is a real possibility now.

Are you living the life?

Last edited:
There are so many unknowns right now, you can't possibly prepare for all of them. Best to focus on staying as strong and flexible as possible and keeping multiple options open. I keep trying to get rid of unnecessary possessions -- and expensive or limiting habits! -- and stay as aware as possible of what's going on in the world (including facing up to the bits I don't like, because wishful thinking is not your friend at a time like this). But if I tried to prepare for every one of the current doomsday scenarios I'd go nuts. Important to have fun right now too.

Welcome and good luck!

There are so many unknowns right now, you can't possibly prepare for all of them. Best to focus on staying as strong and flexible as possible and keeping multiple options open. I keep trying to get rid of unnecessary possessions -- and expensive or limiting habits! -- and stay as aware as possible of what's going on in the world (including facing up to the bits I don't like, because wishful thinking is not your friend at a time like this). But if I tried to prepare for every one of the current doomsday scenarios I'd go nuts. Important to have fun right now too.

Welcome and good luck!
Yes, I agree. The vintage Airstream I lived in wasn't very big and neither is my art studio, so simplifying is an issue. Having too much stuff - most of it unnecessary is a burden.

Could be a variety of reasons one has to leave a place - price increases, changes in the community, change of circumstance etc. I didn't exactly discuss politics, did I? I just said there could be political reasons without stating what that might be - states and cities are different from one another and everyone has their preferences.

Are you living the life?
Oh,sorry. It was just a heads up. I'm a part-timer now and have been for the past 5 years but planning to go FT this winter. Have been FT several times in the past with various vans. I'd like to get a newer van but right now is a bad time to be shopping, that's for sure.

Oh,sorry. It was just a heads up. I'm a part-timer now and have been for the past 5 years but planning to go FT this winter. Have been FT several times in the past with various vans. I'd like to get a newer van but right now is a bad time to be shopping, that's for sure.
No worries. lol I find that political and religious discussions only cause problems and I try to avoid them directly. Yep, vehicle shopping is a drag right now. One advantage of being in the Southeast near retirement areas is that there are a lot of good options for vehicles and vans and especially in Florida - people retire and their circumstance changes or loved ones eventually are selling off excess RVs and vehicles. I've seem some real deals there, but you have to get there and everything sells so quickly these days. That's also another concern I have is that I'm comfortable on the East Coast, but boondocking and BLM options are limited and I think Bob has pointed that out some time ago. Some areas are prohibiting people from living in vehicles, so stealth is more of an issue. Florida is a lovely area along the beach, but I'm not particularly fond of it inland - I don't like the wild boars we have in my area (the black bears are big puppies looking for food, but they're strong) but I like alligators even less!

Good luck in finding a van that suits you.

Hello - CopperK here (I'm a copper artist) ..... will I be able to find or finance a vehicle if the times comes that being mobile is the best option? ....
Buy a suitable vehicle ASAP, get aa workbench and storage into it as well as bed. You will rest easy knowing your backup plan is literally ready to roll.

The bonus to getting setup for mobile living now is you can take working vacations in lovely places. You can apply to some well attended art fairs that have camping sites for vendors. You could travel and teach a bit of metal craft at various types of schools.

The best assurance in hard times is to have multiple places to bring in the income without changing what you make.. You can begin developing them now.

In case you do not realize it, making the smallest of the small copper smithing objects, hand crafted by an artisan, in 1:12 size is very lucrative work. The materials cost is low. It also solves the storage space issue. Plus packaging is small, shipping cost are also low. You can also get very good class fees by teaching some basic classes in mini scale copper work such as cutting, shaping and soldering.

Maybe consider getting a van with good towing capabilities. Outfit it to your needs. If in the future you decide you need more storage, you can add a trailer.

Doing craft fairs and possibly classes would work well with this setup.

Things happen that we don't expect, and that's to be expected ironically. But the end of the world has been right around the corner for many decades. And I'm telling you, it's a very long corner so far.

Be prepared so you have options. Take some of your wares and tools and do road trips to see how you like it and what to refine. Easier to try out things before it's actually needed. And it might open up new ideas regarding your art.

Buy a suitable vehicle ASAP, get aa workbench and storage into it as well as bed. You will rest easy knowing your backup plan is literally ready to roll.

The bonus to getting setup for mobile living now is you can take working vacations in lovely places. You can apply to some well attended art fairs that have camping sites for vendors. You could travel and teach a bit of metal craft at various types of schools.

The best assurance in hard times is to have multiple places to bring in the income without changing what you make.. You can begin developing them now.

In case you do not realize it, making the smallest of the small copper smithing objects, hand crafted by an artisan, in 1:12 size is very lucrative work. The materials cost is low. It also solves the storage space issue. Plus packaging is small, shipping cost are also low. You can also get very good class fees by teaching some basic classes in mini scale copper work such as cutting, shaping and soldering.
Good thoughts all. I have a vintage airstream in good condition, but no tow vehicle. A van purchase is something I'm looking into. I have a friend who is looking at land, so I might be able to move it there. The copper work is something I know and is very portable and scalable, so I agree it has lots of potential. I've been spending money on copper in case the price goes up or it is not as available in the future.

Maybe consider getting a van with good towing capabilities. Outfit it to your needs. If in the future you decide you need more storage, you can add a trailer.

Doing craft fairs and possibly classes would work well with this setup.

Things happen that we don't expect, and that's to be expected ironically. But the end of the world has been right around the corner for many decades. And I'm telling you, it's a very long corner so far.

Be prepared so you have options. Take some of your wares and tools and do road trips to see how you like it and what to refine. Easier to try out things before it's actually needed. And it might open up new ideas regarding your art.
Good ideas. Thanks Happy Camper!