New member from NC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I purchased a mini-van yesterday and pick it up later this week. I am nearing retirement and my hope is to use it for travel and camping. Been a long time tent camper and am excited to move on to another way to what I love. I look forward to meeting a lot of you on the forum!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Oldwolf! Congratulations! Hope you can make it to the RTR! (location to be announced soon)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL forums   :)

A long time ago I lived in the Aberdeen NC area not too far from Ft Bragg.  Lovely camping and fishing there in NC. 

Since you've been used to canvas you may want to consider a awning to go on the passengers side of your mini.
If you know someone who is handy with a sewing machine you could make screens to go all around that awning
and you would have plenty of room and comfort then. 

Spare tire mounted on the rear door also makes more usable space inside.  Just lock your spare to the tire mounting so no one will steal it. (this will also provide for a full size tire instead of one of those temp "donut spares".  

Here is an image of a full size Van set up but it can work with a Mini just the same.

http://davewhitmore.net/Roadtrek/Products/SMSun_shade2SM.jpg

Good Luck !

Thanks for welcome! I did want to use an awning and the plans for one that are shown in your signature link are very interesting. I am handy with tools so may end up making a lot of the things I need. I want to keep things simple at first. Just try out a few things here and there until I arrive at a build that works for me.

Using your van as a steel tent works well. Welcome!

What year, and model of van did you get (pictures) ? Look into either a roof bag/box, or a rear hitch mounted supply box, or rack. All of these options will double your storage space, and allow for a cleaner, more functional interior.

The following links are to some of the high end options for storage, there are plenty of cheaper storage ideas online.

https://www.amazon.com/Rooftop-Cargo-Carrier-Waterproof-Storage/dp/B07TY14G6S

I lived in Charlotte for 17 years. That's where I was when I decided to become a nomad. So glad I don't need to rake leaves anymore. :D

Welcome from a fellow Tarheel :). I'm currently on the other side of the country, but happy to see more East coast peeps join us!

Oldwolf,  There are a number of mosquito net suppliers.  Some may be less expensive than others online or others a bit more pricey but locally available.  

Most of the largest I see are generally 72 inches wide (6 ft) and sold by the foot.  Polyester is strong stuff but it doesn't 
hold up well against strong sun light.  Nylon would be a better material if you are in the sun all of the time and nearly as strong as polyester.  

On my first rig I only had screens on the back and side doors and front windows.  No awning until later.  Back then I found mosquito netting at an Army Navy Store and the net was panels from field mess tents.  Got them cheap and modified the material to my needs. 

You could attach your netting to the edge of your awning with small metal clips from Dollar Tree stores.  You may also make also want to make a panel that hangs below the side of the Mini and the ground.  Small magnets could hold it to the side of the Mini just under the side door so that insects can't come in from under the Mini.  Thus you will have a screened in living room.  And it's quick to set up or take down.

Joann

https://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting-white/10173292.html

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I ended up with a nice 2015 Toyota Sienna. I have been a long time Toyota owner, and wanted to stick with the brand for this purchase.
While I am considering what type of awning I'd like, I need to also consider sleeping arrangements. I like the concept of an elevated bed, so that there is storage space below. Staying simple for my first iteration, I am looking at cots. At some point I may build a bed for the van, but whatever I choose must be reversible so that I can still haul grandkids around.

Also need a compact and stowable table of some kind to set a stove on,,,and a comfortable compact chair...the need list is loooong...

Coleman has been making these fold up camp kitchens for some time now.  Similarly with fold up utility tables.  There are folding camp chairs with an awning above and an ottoman to rest your legs on. (arm rest have a cup holder in one and a bottle holder in the other.  

Folding Camp Kitchen

Camp Chair w/leg rest & awning

Folding Camp Table

If you do some yard sales you may find some of this stuff.

As for Cots I've used these and slept well on them.

Folding Camp Cot

Important note for cold weather:   If you have an older foam mattress pad you can fold it up to cover the cot and it will insulate you from the cold.  Believe me.....you'll be glad you have done this in cold weather. 

There are all kinds of possibilities for Awnings.  Some clamp onto the roof of the Van like so

Roof mounted Awning

But there are a lot of Boy Scout (now  "The Scouts")  techniques for rigging awnings for cheap that may be worth considering.

Just shop the Flea Markets, Yard Sales, early and end of camping season sales and you'll be outfitted before you know it.

I like their Awning idea for the most part,  but I would definitely use two 1/4 inch guy ropes on each of the two vertical support poles.  Just form experience.   Second I'd get another extendable vertical pole to place into the center should it come a rain or shower.  This pole would not have the pin in the end of it.  It would just be blunt on each end with a rubber cap (hardware store item)  and wad up a piece of cloth to place on the end that fits against the awning. (then the other end on the ground.   The weight of a few gallons of water filling the awning could destroy it....and this is always something to be on guard for when it rains.

I agree 100% with making that long shallow envelope to place over the awning when it is all rolled up.  (to protect it from the blast of air when traveling at high way speeds)  That's a tried and true method dating back some decades.  

But an awning on the side has to be one of the greatest comforts a person can have on their rig.

Forgot to mention,  On the awning shown in my Van Conversion site......I never roll the awning all of the way out where the screws holding it to the tubing would be what holds it at the roof side of the Van.  Always leave a a turn or two of the awning on the tube so it will have better support. Then lock the tube so it will stay tight.  This may be what caused the ripping in their awning next to the roof and the need for all the duct tape.