New from Lakewood, Colorado

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moontiger

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post to say hi.  I am almost ready to hit the road for the WRTR and the RTR.  It took me almost a year to save enough for a car on SS, but I did it, and purchased a 1998 Dodge Neon.  It's tiny, but it runs well.  It is definitely not what I wanted, but it is what it is and what I could afford.

I am not exactly new to car camping and tent camping, but it's been awhile.  At 68 I cannot sleep on the ground anymore, but car sleeping is just fine.  I just placed my last order of things needed from Amazon. 

I've watched a gazillion YT videos as well as checking out everything here for car dwellers.  I've double- and triple-checked my lists, and I have to tell you I am pretty excited to hit the road.  :D

Glad to hear it, moontiger!

Now I gotta admit that I just can't wrap my head around sleeping in a Neon. Unless you'll be doing it sitting upright?

Hello Moonriver and welcome. I like you have plotted and planned and will be taking my first trip out to the WRTR. I've watched, lived and breathed every bit of knowledge my brain could hold from solar to supplies needed to maintain living successfully on the road. My traveling home will be a car for the moment along with my outdoor tent. I to am not a spring chicken and am too old for ground sleeping. But, I've learned through Bob, YouTube and communities like this. I can live quite well in my car and sleep quite well long term in my tent. It's so wonderful. When you can figure out and use the knowledge that works best for you in putting together "traveling" home. I'm looking forward to gather even more info in January.

I hope our paths cross there.

I want to go where I want, Eat what I want, Wear what I want, Be who I want..

Sorry I misspelled your name Moontiger.

Welcome to the CRVL forums moontiger! See you at the WRTR and RTR!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

bluegoatwoods said:
Glad to hear it, moontiger!

Now I gotta admit that I just can't wrap my head around sleeping in a Neon.  Unless you'll be doing it sitting upright?

It's really really small.  But the backseat bench folds down, and with the front passenger seat moved all the way forward my 75'" tri-fold mattress fits just fine (my feet will be slightly in the trunk). In a pinch I can sleep in the backseat since I sleep on my side anyway.  And hey, it's an adventure!

AroyalQueen said:
Hello Moonriver and welcome. I like you have plotted and planned and will be taking my first trip out to the WRTR. I've watched, lived and breathed every bit of knowledge my brain could hold from solar to supplies needed to maintain living successfully on the road. My traveling home will be a car for the moment along with my outdoor tent. I to am not a spring chicken and am too old for ground sleeping. But, I've learned through Bob, YouTube and communities like this. I can live quite well in my car and sleep quite well long term in my tent. It's so wonderful. When you can figure out and use the knowledge that works best for you in putting together "traveling" home. I'm looking forward to gather even more info in January.

I hope our paths cross there.

Ditto to everything you said!  I am considering a small popup tent in case I start feeling too cramped in the car, but I really don't want to fool with a tent on my first roadtrip. What made you decide to get a tent? Thanks for the warm welcome.

" I am considering a small popup tent "

Moontiger:

A pop up tent comes in handy for storing bins which gives you more room to sleep in the car. It also holds your place at a campsite while you take a day trip or go for groceries.

Hello Moontiger, I decided on my car and tent due to the need and want to attend the WRTR. I'm looking for the camaraderie of my fellow like minded women and to acquire as much knowlege my brain can hold. I have an RV. But, there's work and repair that needs to be continued and my income is tight at the moment. But, after seeing Bob, Crystal Vanner and others on YouTube doing interviews of fellow tenters. Especially, women who are doing it by and for themselves. It inspired my mind, body and spirit to say a tent it shall be. If, I need to reside in the car for any reason. I got that covered to. I'm becoming more knowlegable as to what I need to make sense in my life and as to what I thought I must have. I must say it's enlightening and makes me laugh at how much clutter I've accumulated in my life. Now I'm downsizing and calculating weight and ounces.lol So I'm not overloaded with unwanted items. These days I'm always thinking outside of the box and I love it.

Latest posts