New Arrival planning to convert an old horse trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Hello RV Living forum

I'm a newbie to this concept, but not entirely. I'm retired now but spent forty four years on the road
playing music and living on practically nothing. So my restless mind works along these channels.

I've been hunkered down here in Tucson AZ for much too long, I got my first vaccine about a week ago
(March 03 2021) and will get my second shot at the end of March.  Got to give it some time to develop immunity, 
Then I'll be itching to get rolling and go visit family members, old friends and lovers, and see about loved ones I've
been worrying over.

I plan to maintain the same precautions I've been following ever since I heard about the pandemic.
And I'm hoping to rehabilitate an old horse trailer to carry my stuff, so I'm getting ruthless all over again to try
and travel lighter.

The plan is to carry whatever I can't part with in the trailer, probably up for'ard and to perhaps have a bunk in
there too. Maybe something that folds up out of the way, with a futon and some foam.
I'll need windows, and to do something with the door in the back.

I'm hoping to rehabilitate the suspension, and put full size car wheels on it, maybe the same size I have on
my Equinox towing car.
Midnight@Gates Pass@100.jpg

Attachments

Welcome to the forum Colonel mustard. I hope the police don’t catch up with you But I have evidence That you did it in the Library with a candle stick. I have often thought of a horse trailer conversion. We used to have one in our community that we use for moving people. It’ll hold plenty of weight because it was designed for the horses. the nice thing about it was the single step up into it. Good luck with it let us see pictures and show us how it comes out. Then once you get it up get going you can go horsing around.

Welcome Col Mustard to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

How much does that horse trailer weigh? They are usually very heavy. What's the tow capacity of your Equinox? I looked and it's not much. Highdesertranger

mudbunny said:
2x what HDR says plus horse trailer floors tend to rot out because of excrement which also leads to a smell problem that will never leave. Just say'n.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

The floors are easy to replace.

I live in horse country and I always wondered about those trailers. If you have one good but seems like there’s more efficient trailers. Did anyone find the weight?

Op hasn't been back since he posted.

Col Mustard
(Member)

Registration Date: Saturday, March 13th, 2021
Date of Birth: Not Specified
Local Time: Friday, March 19th, 2021 at 02:57 PM

Col Mustard's Forum Info
Total Posts: 1 (0.17 posts per day | 0 percent of total posts)
(Find All Posts)
Total Threads: 1 (0.17 threads per day | 0 percent of total threads)
(Find All Threads)
Time Spent Online: 3 Minutes, 38 Seconds
Members Referred: 0