Future vandweller here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP-SLC

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been lurking for a while and wanted to just say hi. I'm ~50 years old and currently in the phase of paying off the last of my debts and starting to liquidate two large storage units full of stuff from a former life where I had a giant 6-bedroom house for me and two dogs (what was I thinking?) that just became storage for a too many toys, cars, motorcycles, etc. I lost most of that when the 2008 recession kicked my butt.

I'm still paying off old debts from that recession and have done a lot of soul searching that led me to the idea of a simpler life, free from the stranglehold my posessions had and still have on me. time for change! I'm in the market for an Ambulance to convert to a home and my rough timeline is to be on the road in 9 to 12 months.

After that I plan to continue to work full-time at my current job in the Salt Lake City area until I'm able to save enough up and retire. I work in I.T. for a company that provides MSP and consulting for small businesses. Once I retire I want to hit the road and see all the places I've wanted to see but couldn't find time of the freedom to do before. I'll still work part-time in IT, but will seek something either very flexible/mobile (that I can work from anywhere) or do seasonal gigs in IT or possibly other areas. I'm also interested in doing volunteer work for HOWA and/or other such worthy causes. I like HOWA's programs and I also love the new idea of BYOV. I have skills in automotive, DC electrical, and a little metalworking/welding that I think could contribute to such programs and I'd love to be able to work for a good cause if I can.

It's a bit intimidating to move out of my comfort zone, but it's not really a "comfort zone" if I feel trapped, so I'm looking for this change.

Cheers
-JP

welcome;
Ambulances get Horrible mileage (Diesels) they weigh a lot all the lights have to be removed and change the status from ambulance to P.O.V. re title it.I have a friend that had to do all that, to his.. he finally sold it to plumber as a work truck. Maintenance was killing him huge oil pan. several fuel filters. (expensive where do you keep spare & HD jack? i wish you well just think (this over) ask fire dept about expenses they can help that out.
welcome again
keeb in va,

Abnorm can probably relate as to what is good to have on the road doing good deeds! LOL!!! Tools take up space and are heavy. You need to decide early what you absolutely need and if it will fit. Coming from having unlimited space it is difficult to down size. If you are like me, I started out with a 28' Class A motorhome and TWO Honda Civics. The one I towed behind the motorhome only had a driver's seat so I could could completely overload it with tool boxes, tools, air compressor, tank and torch set, basically anything I could fit and then I filled the rear of the one my wife was driving with floor jacks, safety stands and all my new battery operated tools, you know the light stuff! You will probably be better off building out both a large cargo trailer and the ambo since it does make a good tow vehicle. Try just camping and see what it takes for you to be happy living simply with a multitool and maybe a bicycle a while to get a hint of what this life is like before taking a big leap. It has taken me close now to 20 years to be happy with just a multitool and a bicycle but good thing I did because now I physically couldn't take of the tools if I had them! LOL!!!

Last edited:
welcome;
Ambulances get Horrible mileage (Diesels) they weigh a lot all the lights have to be removed and change the status from ambulance to P.O.V. re title it.I have a friend that had to do all that, to his.. he finally sold it to plumber as a work truck. Maintenance was killing him huge oil pan. several fuel filters. (expensive where do you keep spare & HD jack? i wish you well just think (this over) ask fire dept about expenses they can help that out.
welcome again
keeb in va,
Gaa! Glad to know this stuff. I had no idea ambulances were so terrible. (So I wonder how Bob Wells is dealing with his. I'm hoping for the best.)

Hi all. I've been lurking for a while and wanted to just say hi. I'm ~50 years old and currently in the phase of paying off the last of my debts and starting to liquidate two large storage units full of stuff from a former life where I had a giant 6-bedroom house for me and two dogs (what was I thinking?) that just became storage for a too many toys, cars, motorcycles, etc. I lost most of that when the 2008 recession kicked my butt.

-JP
Nowhere in this long post do you mention what is arguably the most important factor in whether you can make a success out of this life - your experience in camping.

If you're not a camper now - start going, in the vehicle you already have with the stuff you already have. It's the only way to learn what YOU need. Once that's clear in your head, then worry about the vehicle.

I'm still paying off old debts from that recession and have done a lot of soul searching that led me to the idea of a simpler life, free from the stranglehold my posessions had and still have on me. time for change! I'm in the market for an Ambulance to convert to a home and my rough timeline is to be on the road in 9 to 12 months.

After that I plan to continue to work full-time at my current job in the Salt Lake City area until I'm able to save enough up and retire. I work in I.T. for a company that provides MSP and consulting for small businesses. Once I retire I want to hit the road and see all the places I've wanted to see but couldn't find time of the freedom to do before. I'll still work part-time in IT, but will seek something either very flexible/mobile (that I can work from anywhere) or do seasonal gigs in IT or possibly other areas. I'm also interested in doing volunteer work for HOWA and/or other such worthy causes. I like HOWA's programs and I also love the new idea of BYOV. I have skills in automotive, DC electrical, and a little metalworking/welding that I think could contribute to such programs and I'd love to be able to work for a good cause if I can.

It's a bit intimidating to move out of my comfort zone, but it's not really a "comfort zone" if I feel trapped, so I'm looking for this change.

Cheers
-JP
Ambulances are often too wide and too heavy for your normal auto repair bays, so you are also looking at primo rates for professional repair or maintenance. Even basic things like oil changes.

Yikes, I just wanted to say hi and introducing myself to what I had assumed was a welcoming and positive community. I assure you, all of my plans are well-thought-out. I have done, and continue to do, research and have not made my plans lightly. I'm unsure why some people might automatically assume the opposite. Yes, I've camped my entire life, done extensize backpacking, bicycle treking/camping, motorcycle camping in extreme environments, overlanding, off-roading, etc, Done extensive fabrication and modification/repairs on vehicles, replaced engines/transmissions, etc. I know the ins and outs of the ambulance and what challenges one faces with them.

Last edited:
I think the first assumption made from a new poster is that they are heavy on enthusiasm and lite on experience unless it is mentioned in the introductory post. That is a correct assumption more often than not. A large reason folks fail early on is having reality explode in their faces with things not thought of early enough to make changes. Therefore, warnings abound.

Sounds like you have enough experience to make realistic plans. Still, trying things out in the vehicle you have is solid advice. It's the little things that end up tripping me up.

I know when I started this journey, I bought a LOT of things I didn't need and would never use. I have since revised what my needs are and after a year and half, I have a much better understanding of what life on the road is.

Yikes, I just wanted to say hi and introducing myself to what I had assumed was a welcoming and positive community. I assure you, all of my plans are well-thought-out. I have done, and continue to do, research and have not made my plans lightly. I'm unsure why some people might automatically assume the opposite. Yes, I've camped my entire life, done extensize backpacking, bicycle treking/camping, motorcycle camping in extreme environments, overlanding, off-roading, etc, Done extensive fabrication and modification/repairs on vehicles, replaced engines/transmissions, etc. I know the ins and outs of the ambulance and what challenges one faces with them.
This IS a welcoming community. But you can't reasonably expect us to know what you don't say! And as shadowmoss said, many people show up here with more enthusiasm than experience.

Welcome, I am sure your knowledge will add a lot.

Welcome! In addition to what a lot of folks in the know have already noted, ambulance also tend to have a LOT of idling time as well - not good if you get a gas powered one. You don't need nasty surprises (ask me how I know - 86 Chevy Ambulance I was trying to convert into a dive support vehicle years ago :sneaky:).

Listen to the voices of experience offering you advice here IRT the lifestyle, they know what they're talking about.

Best of Luck!

Cheers

As to Bob Wells having a ambulance..he is in a better financial position than many nomads as his YouTube channel is bringing in a decent amount of income. Of course that took awhile to achieve.

Like most people it took him some years to be in a financial position where he could afford his dream camping machine.

Nowhere in this long post do you mention what is arguably the most important factor in whether you can make a success out of this life - your experience in camping.

If you're not a camper now - start going, in the vehicle you already have with the stuff you already have. It's the only way to learn what YOU need. Once that's clear in your head, then worry about the vehicle.
I strongly disagree. Other than being forced to attend summer camp when I was a kid, I've never been camping. I have no desire to hang out in wilderness areas. I like exploring the offerings of big cities and discovering quaint little towns. I enjoy traveling. And I like comfort. Prior to owning a van, I'd taken countless roadtrips in my SUV, but never considered "living" in it. I need a toilet, running water, power for a microwave and fridge, a comfortable bed and a nice place to lounge. A van was the smallest vehicle that could accommodate my needs.

With a little reflection, it's easy to broadly determine what is needed to enjoy spending large amounts of time in your vehicle. Desires and financial resources will influence choice of vehicle. It is not necessary to spend a ton of money and a gazillion hours designing your ultimate vehicle. I suggest doing the quickest, minimalist build the meets your needs and then hitting the road. Refinement will come from experience.

I caution anyone against voluntarily trading in their home and all their worldly possessions for a vehicle and the lure of a nomadic life. I think that's foolhardy if you have a choice. I was nomadic way before I started living out of a vehicle and despite owning a house.

Does anyone badmouthing Ambos really own one?I have aE350 built better than any RV & I've been thru the RV plants & sold to them. I have the last International non computer, non turbo they put in them. I also had the last month 5.9 non computer Cummins. I get 16-18 doing 75mph Which the 5.9 Cummins did get 24 both are 1 ton 350s. I think Ambos are the best safest on the road. I had no problem with changing registration, tags & insurance at all. I hope you.ve owned one & not just an armchair expert. Watch some Horton roll over test & you'll agree you can't beat a low milage back up Fire Dept ambo or prove me wrong as I can eat crow but won't on this. https://autowise.com/ford-diesel-engine-history/ Look at the '93 7.3L Diesels will eventually need Injectors which for the Ambo & the Cummins are under $300 per set. For the Power Stroke that ford used after the Internation are over $3000. a set so I know where the Stroke came from. They made & perfected the International engines for 12 years. My Ambo has no rust & only 80k miles, new batteries, tires, 250 amp altonater & serp belt when I bought it. I think Bob has seen most everything you can camp in & if he picks an Ambo that seals the deal & proves to me they're the best you can get.

Last edited:
Does anyone badmouthing Ambos really own one?I have aE350 built better than any RV & I've been thru the RV plants & sold to them. I have the last International non computer, non turbo they put in them. I also had the last month 5.9 non computer Cummins. I get 16-18 doing 75mph Which the 5.9 Cummins did get 24 both are 1 ton 350s. I think Ambos are the best safest on the road. I had no problem with changing registration, tags & insurance at all. I hope you.ve owned one & not just an armchair expert. Watch some Horton roll over test & you'll agree you can't beat a low milage back up Fire Dept ambo or prove me wrong as I can eat crow but won't on this. https://autowise.com/ford-diesel-engine-history/ Look at the '93 7.3L Diesels will eventually need Injectors which for the Ambo & the Cummins are under $300 per set. For the Power Stroke that ford used after the Internation are over $3000. a set so I know where the Stroke came from. They made & perfected the International engines for 12 years. My Ambo has no rust & only 80k miles, new batteries, tires, 250 amp altonater & serp belt when I bought it. I think Bob has seen most everything you can camp in & if he picks an Ambo that seals the deal & proves to me they're the best you can get.
Hi Flylo, After doing extensive research, I agree that an ambulance is the best of everything a person could want in a vehicle you are going to live in--built in cabinets, box is already insulated, built like a tank, top already just made for solar panels, and the cool factor. I had read though, that the Ford 7.3 IDI engines that came just before the powerstroke, were a bit underpowered. What has been your experience?

That is very true... at least it is if you will be camping in your rig! Including long stints of camping solo. Do you like your own company and the company of nature? Does your mind torment you when you are alone? Are you scared? Do you miss all the things that you can have in a big house, but not in a small camper?

I had little camping experience when I started though, and luckily I absolutely loved it!